Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2001 2:22:59 PM EDT
Guys,

A local gunshop has a black MAK-90 with a Maadi (Egypt) reciever on consignment. They're asking $800. The package includes:

6-30rd mags
2-75rd drum mags
Dragunov style stock

Dealer says its preban and it looks immaculate.
I have no idea on how to tell if it actually is preban and no experience with AKs at all. One web site described it as as being as close as clones get to Russian AKs.

Every please chime in!  
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
chime
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Your best bet is to ask Campybob on the AK site.  He is the guru of AKs.  I would suggest that its either a MAK-90 or a Maadi, or someomes hatchet job.  The drums are worth about $100.  the 30 rounders sell for about $8.  New SARs sell for about $350 postban.  If it is preban I doubt it would have a Drag stock but can't really be sure without seeing.  In any case I would be suspicious.  Campy will know for sure.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
No MAK 90s are preban, and I could be wrong, but I dont think there were any MADDI ones.
Most of them I have seen are NORINCO. They are very good quality AK variants, and can be found NIB for about $350-$450 on average. 30 round mags go for between 5 or 10 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
what gun store is that?  an AK for $800, I certainly will NOT rush to buy that...  for that price it better be a MILLED reciever.  Dixie Firearms has BRAND NEW post ban bulgarian AKs w/milled recievers for $599.  pretty nice looking too: there's NO WOOD, all the pieces are black plastic (?).  it's got a nice big multi-slotted muzzle brake (NOT the typical AK muzzle brake).

as for the AK mags, u certainly can NOT get them for $5-$10 at a gun store (at least not here).  at a gun show, the lowest I've seen is $10.  certainly worth it, they're built way way better than ANY ar15 mag ;-)
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]

...I dont think there were any MADDI [pre-ban] ones.

There are a few pre-ban Maadi's around.  If you want to know for sure if it is a pre-ban, the Maadi forum at www.ak-47.net is the place to ask.  As far as I know, Steyer was, by far, the largest importer of pre-ban Maadi's, and they only imported 2,000.  So, if you don't see Steyer and AKM stamped on the front sight block, then I don't think it is a pre-ban.  I've heard that CAI imported a few pre-bans, but they're so rare you don't need to worry about finding one of those.

I do not think  it can be both a MAK90 and a MAADIE at the same time.

Wrong.  It could be a "MAK-90" Maadi combo.   Maadi made their own parts on Russian made equipment with Russian trained employees.  For a while, they couldn't keep-up with demand, so they bought parts from China.  The Maadi MISR-90 is made of MAK-90 parts on an Egyptian made receiver.  It is worth no more than $250.  In my opinion, it is the worst Maadi model made.

A post-ban Maadi that will take double-stack 30 round mags sells for about $270 new (well, before 9-11).  Classic Arms is selling post-ban Maadi's that only take single-stack mags for $170, and they're having trouble getting rid of them.  If the rifle has MISR-10 on it and it takes 30 round mags (like it sounds like), then it was originally imported to only support 10 round magazines and has been converted.  You'll need to make sure that the person who did the conversion added the appropriate US-made parts to make it legal.

If it really is a pre-ban Maadi with the two drums, then it is a great deal.  Most of the prices I've seen mentioned for pre-ban Maadi's is $800 and up without the drums.  If it is a pre-ban, and you decide not to buy it, then let me know.  I have a friend that's looking for one, and I know he's willing to pay a finder's fee.z
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
as for the AK mags, u certainly can NOT get them for $5-$10 at a gun store (at least not here).  at a gun show, the lowest I've seen is $10.  certainly worth it, they're built way way better than ANY ar15 mag ;-)

BUT,...You most certainly CAN buy them all day long over the internet for those prices.
Try AMMOMAN.COM, or Tennesee Guns to name a few places.

I personally have bought a buttload of AK 30 rounders form AMMOMAN.  Brand new Bulgarian ribbed, with reinforced feed lips (5 mags for $50.00 delivered)
Tennesee Guns has them advertised for $5.25 apiece, although I have not seen any of these ones in person, the guy at Tennesee Guns told me over the phone they are also new ribbed Bulgarian.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought this yesterday for $319.00

Ordered (10) 30 mags from tennesse guns for 5.25 each. So that is less than 380.00 for a new AK and 11 mags. You can find a better deal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]

originally posted by zoom
Wrong.  It could be a "MAK-90" Maadi combo.   Maadi made their own parts on Russian made equipment with Russian trained employees.  For a while, they couldn't keep-up with demand, so they bought parts from China.  The Maadi MISR-90 is made of MAK-90 parts on an Egyptian made receiver.  It is worth no more than $250.  In my opinion, it is the worst Maadi model made.

But,..I dont think it can be a "pre ban" if it's a MAK90 though can it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]
MAK 90 is a definite post ban gun, Chinese manufacture.  There are a few milled receiver guns and lots of stamped guns.  Not bad guns, they have all original parts and need to have the thumbhole stock (unless you add enought US parts) to be legal.

MAADI's are pre and post ban guns.  As Zoom pointed out, Steyr (I did not know of the Century guns) was the only importer.  If the gun is stamped Steyr, Secaucus, NJ, it is a pre-ban.  If it is stamped something else (ACC Intrac, Knoxville, TN, or something to that effect), it is a post ban.  The Steyrs had a VERY high quality finish and fitting on the gun.  The later post ban guns (to paraphrase Campybob) look like they were painted in camel dung with the tail of the camel at full gallop--they also have to have a thumbhole stock unless they have some added US parts.

Bottom line--the deal SUCKS.  

For $700 you can get a Cheap Chinese pre-ban with a bayonet lug, and add a folding stock if you want (side folders fit with no mods, underfolders need to have the receiver modified).  

Mags, as mentioned before, can be found pretty cheaply on the internet.  Drums, I don't usually use--they are more suited to full auto guns, anyway.

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#11]
madmedic, I believe you are correct.  As far as I know, there are not any MISR-90 pre-bans.

As Zoom pointed out, Steyr (I did not know of the Century guns) was the only importer.

I guess I should qualify that statement.  I've read on ak-47.net that Century imported a few pre-ban Maadi's.  Also, a (distant) relative of mine believed enough that one he found was pre-ban that he bought it.  This guy is cheap, and I know he wouldn't have paid too much (by a factor of 4!) if he wasn't sure.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top