Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 6:42:53 PM EDT
So I've been doing tons of research, about to buy my first can. Everyone recommends buying a .22 can and a 7.62 can first. I need some thoughts on my line of reasoning.

I'll be shooting the 7.62 can on bolt action rifles (no larger than .308), 5.56 ARs with minimum barrel lengths of 16", and maybe even a 300 BLK AR with a 10.5 barrel. I'll be using these for hunting, not kicking in doors. Semi-auto only.

Things I care about (in order): repeatable POI, muzzle flash elimination, weight, db decrease, added length, price. Muzzle flash beats sound reduction because I'm also looking to get some NVD.

So I'm thinking about getting TBAC's 30CB7. TBAC cans are regarded for their accuracy, but I can't really find anything about their muzzle flash. Also, they're Ti which means they don't weigh a ton, and the new brake attach version will help with erosion from the 5.56 AR vs. one of their traditional threaded cans. I really don't anticipate baffle erosion being a problem, since I won't be doing high volumes of fire or 5.56 SBRs with this can.

Anyways, I figure if I like it enough, I'll probably end up with a dedicated 5.56 can, probably the Surefire SOCOM, as it's only a few oz heavier, or whatever is the latest and greatest at that time.

Sound reasonable? Thanks for the input.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how the brake mount thunderbeast does.  I have heard that the thread-on thunderbeast 308 can is great for maintaining accuracy on your bolt gun.  I would go that route unless the brake mounted thunderbeast can hold 100% accuracy that your bolt gun is capable of.  No sense in getting a can that is going to make your 1/2 moa gun shoot 1.5 moa after it has attached.  If the brake mounted thunderbeast can keep full accuracy, go for it then and don't look back.  You will end up getting another can, they are addictive.

Here's what I did and would have done it a little differently. I have an sdn6 that I bought figuring I could use it on a 308 platform and keep full accuracy, and then use it on my AR15's in .223 as well.  As of what I have read it will be staying on my Ar15 platform rifles.  It may wander over to some kind of 308 semi auto- but I don't and probably will not have the kind of money to fund a semi-auto 308 of any kind either now or in the future.  I wish that I had gone thunderbeast thread on for a 308 to sit on a bolt gun, and then I wish that I had gone with a Surefire 556 can of some sort as the mounting system is slightly high quality than my AAC can(s).

Right now I have the SDN6 which is going to sit on an 18'' spr ar15, and then I have an M4-2000 coming in to spend time on a 14.5'' or 11.5'' upper.  I'm staying AAC at the moment because I have the mounts and I also found a decent deal on the M4-2000.  Couple that with being slightly impulsive and that's how I got to where I am now.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
YHM Phantom 7.62 QD Titanium.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in nearly the exact same boat as you- plan on using mine for 308 bolt, 5.56 16", and an 8.5" 300blk.  The only difference is I have no plans for NVGs.  I went with the silencerco specwar 762.  I just ordered it last week from capitalarmory.com  It seems to be one of the most widely used multi-role suppressors out there and silencerco warranty/customer service has gotten good reviews.  I like their specwar muzzle devices and their locking QD system has gotten good reviews.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#4]
TBAC brake mount cans are good to go.  I use one of the previous generation on a 308 bolt gun and a 556 AR and repeatability and accuracy are great.  I havent shot it at night so I cant speak to muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I went with this, because my dealer had one for demo that never got demo'd and he sold it to me at his price.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I went with this, because my dealer had one for demo that never got demo'd and he sold it to me at his price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You happy with it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one in jail right now.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a TBAC 30BA as my first can for the same reasons OP lists.  In retrospect, I'd rather have a 30P1 since I quickly bought another inconel can for semi autos and those mounts cost $ & weight.  However, I do like the TBAC and would recommend it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

TBAC brake mount cans are good to go.  I use one of the previous generation on a 308 bolt gun and a 556 AR and repeatability and accuracy are great.  I havent shot it at night so I cant speak to muzzle flash.
View Quote

Well that settles one concern, thanks for the input.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You happy with it?

I'd also like to know that. The $ worries me that something is less than desirable, but for all I know its a decent can. Also, Rocketman, hows the reloading and statistics coming? One of the best threads on ARF since Molon used to post!

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I bought a TBAC 30BA as my first can for the same reasons OP lists.  In retrospect, I'd rather have a 30P1 since I quickly bought another inconel can for semi autos and those mounts cost $ & weight.  However, I do like the TBAC and would recommend it.
View Quote

Why would you rather have a 30P-1? You shoot big magnum cartridges?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Curious, who has the best price on a thunderbeast 30p-1?  Silencershop?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

As I understand it, buying from an online dealer out of state entails a longer wait time, since there's the From 3 from dealer to dealer than the Form 4 to you.

So, I've only really been looking locally, despite the fact that it would most likely be more expensive. I've been seeing 30p-1 a little over $1k.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As I understand it, buying from an online dealer out of state entails a longer wait time, since there's the From 3 from dealer to dealer than the Form 4 to you.

So, I've only really been looking locally, despite the fact that it would most likely be more expensive. I've been seeing 30p-1 a little over $1k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been to the thunderbeast shop. Impressive stuff!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lucked out and got a 3 week eform dealer to dealer transfer.  Went to paper for the dealer to me transfer.  Still a year wait.  +/- 3 weeks doesn't bother me for a hundred or so saved, but who knows what would happen if it were paper transfer dealer to dealer
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 30ba requires muzzle brake mounts which are heavy, expensive, and loud when shot unsuppressed.  The only benefit (for me) is the sacrificial blast baffle.  Since I bought another can for use with semis, I would be better served by the lighter 30p1.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The 30ba requires muzzle brake mounts which are heavy, expensive, and loud when shot unsuppressed.  The only benefit (for me) is the sacrificial blast baffle.  Since I bought another can for use with semis, I would be better served by the lighter 30p1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah that makes sense, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I am waiting for my first two cans and I went with the multi-role 22 and 7.62 with similar requirements. I chose the SWR Spectre II and YHM Phantom Ti QD.  I am not familiar with the Thunderbeast or how the YHM might compare though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You happy with it?

I'd also like to know that. The $ worries me that something is less than desirable, but for all I know its a decent can. Also, Rocketman, hows the reloading and statistics coming? One of the best threads on ARF since Molon used to post!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You happy with it?

I got a bunch of unexpected work dumped on my desk a few weeks ago and my heat pump died, so I have a bunch of stuff to put into it that I haven't had time for. Will get to it in about 3-4 weeks though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top