Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2009 12:34:08 PM EST
Anybody have a source for those cheap plastic trigger locks? The cheapest I have found is $1.19 ea. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:59:38 PM EST
How about zip ties. They are dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:08:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By Holloway:
How about zip ties. They are dirt cheap.

My mistake, I should have said these are for the youth handgun safety act. We have to give a lock with any handgun purchased, and most of the used handguns we buy don't have a lock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 8:35:37 AM EST
Well I hate to say it, but CTD has some for cheap.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49838-1.html

They are made by DAC Technologies.
http://www.dactec.com/index-2.html

I get some cable locks from the Sheriff's Office, but I am in the same boat as you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:19:02 PM EST
The good news is we found a company in China that has the simple plastic locks for only $0.26 ea. Bad news is they require a 5,000 piece minimum order, so it would most likely run into $2,000 to $2500 with the cost of shipping.

Guess I need to talk to the local LEOs and see if they have any they want to get rid off......
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:21:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By substandard:
My mistake, I should have said these are for the youth handgun safety act. We have to give a lock with any handgun purchased, and most of the used handguns we buy don't have a lock.

Negative - you don't have to GIVE a lock away with a handgun purchase - you have to have trigger locks AVAILABLE for purchase.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:45:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By Circuits:

Negative - you don't have to GIVE a lock away with a handgun purchase - you have to have trigger locks AVAILABLE for purchase.

Hmmm. Do you happen to know where to find that information in the ATF regs? Every FFL I have spoke to was under the impression that you HAD to give a lock.

Don't mean to offend you or say you are lying just looking for some documentation.... (as I go to look thru the Brady Law legalese in search for myself...)
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:54:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By Circuits:

Hmmm. Do you happen to know where to find that information in the ATF regs? Every FFL I have spoke to was under the impression that you HAD to give a lock.

Don't mean to offend you or say you are lying just looking for some documentation.... (as I go to look thru the Brady Law legalese in search for myself...)

You're thinking of the Child Safety Lock Act of 2005 (18 USC 922(z)). And the OP is correct......each transfer of a handgun must be accompanied with some type of safety device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock. As stated above, many get their locks from the local police/sheriff dep't.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:10:15 AM EST
Found this while looking thru the ATF online reg book... so once again I am looking for cheap locks...

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:45:51 AM EST
A lot of stores pass the cost on the the consumer and just tack the price of the lock onto the ticket.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:06:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By sawgunner73:
You're thinking of the Child Safety Lock Act of 2005 (18 USC 922(z)). And the OP is correct......each transfer of a handgun must be accompanied with some type of safety device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock. As stated above, many get their locks from the local police/sheriff dep't.

Whoops - looks like I was out of date, and didn't know about 922(z).

Crud.

Fortunately for me, every handgun I've sold in the past three years has come with a gun lock, or had one built in, or I'd have been out of compliance. I've got a box of cheap random trigger locks that my various distributors have bundled with my orders over the years - if that box runs out, I'll have to order some up and pass along the cost.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:30:23 PM EST
I have bought my locks from Midway on sale and have acouple
of custmers give me onesthey did not want.
CEW

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:36:29 PM EST
If you have one around from your own guns. Sell a used one for $10,000.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:55:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By krayons:
If you have one around from your own guns. Sell a used one for $10,000.

Or you can just offer to sell your safe for whatever price. That's what the inspector told me in my meeting.

Now where can you get gun locks for $1.19 for?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:47:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By 50bmgAPI:

Or you can just offer to sell your safe for whatever price. That's what the inspector told me in my meeting.

Now where can you get gun locks for $1.19 for?

One of our wholesalers Ellett Brothers has the cheap plastic Chinese locks for $1.19ea. I have no problem passing the cost on to the customer, but it does irritate me to $1.19 for a $0.25 lock. Here is the type of lock I am talking about:

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:54:24 AM EST
Were a Pawnshop and we order them through M&M wholesale, they sell electronics and stuff. We get them in three packs for $1.59 for three. They're made by Bellocks and are just like the DAC's you posted pictures of earlier. But if you can't get those Sport South has the DAC's for $0.90 a piece.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:24:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2009 6:29:03 PM EST by MikePatterson]
Are you talking about this place?
http://www.mmwholesale.com/

Edit: I have been in that joint before. It is mainly car audio stuff in the show room. I will give them a call and see what their dealer setup involves.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:51:09 AM EST
Yea thats the place, they mainly carry electronics but they have a Pawnshop/RTO section and an outdoor section that has gun accessories. We order our electronics from them and some of the cheap holsters and nikon scopes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:54:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By big_matt:
Were a Pawnshop and we order them through M&M wholesale, they sell electronics and stuff. We get them in three packs for $1.59 for three. They're made by Bellocks and are just like the DAC's you posted pictures of earlier. But if you can't get those Sport South has the DAC's for $0.90 a piece.

Thanks for the information. We talked to M&M today and got an account set up.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:34:41 AM EST
Cool, No problem on the info and we've been dealing with them for about 15 years and never had a problem with them so I think you'll be happy with their service.
Top Top