Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2001 3:52:00 PM EDT
This realy has me thinking, www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=62900

At the bottom about using an m16 parts kit and selling the Full Auto parts.

Does anyone see why this wont work?  
It look like you could build a desent blaster AR for less then half of what a new one costs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Consider yourself warned that if you have 1 M-16 part in your AR-15, BATF classifies it as an M-16.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Consider yourself warned that if you have 1 M-16 part in your AR-15, BATF classifies it as an M-16.

This is not completely true and the guy clearly stated that he intended on selling the full auto parts.

Now to answer the question....

I have heard both good and bad about those cheap M16 parts kits. Some people have been happy with them and others say they arrived in worse condition than advertised. Most of the complaints were only on the finish though and that is something that can easily be fixed cheaply or by yourself if you are up to it.

As a project rifle they sound like a pretty good deal. After selling the M16 trigger group you should have enough to buy their AR15 counterparts and then all you would be out is for the lower and the refinishing and maybe some new handguards if they are in bad shape.

The total even with a professional refinish should be under $500.

Michael
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Oops...I forgot about the flash hider and bayo lug. To make it postban compliant, assuming you will be using a cheap postban lower, you will also need to chop the lug off and either take off the threads by having them milled or permanently attach some type of muzzlebreak. That will add to the cost, but probably not by too much.

Michael
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
if you are patient you can build a cheap AR.....
last one I put together.......hmmmm
I cought my frendly ffl in a good mood he got me a bushmaster lower minus buttstock for 200.00
a freind was looking to build something differnt sold me his gun show upper for 225.00
traded a couple of usa mags for a buttstock assembly.......had son grind off lug....he gave me that"daddy this is stupid look" I soldered a muzzle break on it and laced on a cheap sling out of my goodie box total cash 425.00 it functions,it aint purty but who cares
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Using the M-16 kits is not worth it IMHO. The kits I have seen are rough, really rough. You can build a cheapie for under six bills easy. Oly cast lower-$100 or less, Parts kit(J&T, M1 sales, etc.)--$425 or less, there, you have a brand new rifle for $100 more than the crappy refinished kit gun.

The last gun I built turned out really nice for about $700. I used,

Bushmaster lower--$150
Colt A2 barrel(chrome lined, no bayo lug)--$130
J&T upper and small parts--$325
Wilson muzzle brake--$70

This turned out to be a great looking post-ban with no worn out or refinished parts.

Spend a little extra, the difference is huge.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought an AR15 kit at a gun show with everything except a striped lower for $400.  Everything is in excellent condition.
I just bought a striped lower from bushy for $184.  Just need a couple of mags and I'm ready to go.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
For 700 I could just get a Bushmaster, but that defies the point of doing this.  I would do this because you can do it CHEAP.

Kit costs       270
FA parts       -150 (or more)
new SA parts     52
cheap lower     100

that's $272 w/o shipping and other BS

you still need to modify the carrier (any one know specifically what needs to be done?), grind off the bayo lug and put on a brake.

What would one of these things be worth, assuming it looked OK?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep in mind if you gold plate a turd, all you have is a gold plated piece of shit.

Who is going to buy all the full-auto parts? Not many people can use them so they are not selling like hotcakes.

Get a good look at the 16 kits before you buy one. The ones I have seen are shot-out junk.

You could buy a complete AR from Century for under $500. Again you get what you pay for.

Edited to say forget about the selling the full-auto parts comment. I forgot about E-bay. There is an idiot out there who will buy anything off E-bay

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Planing on selling the FA parts on ebay.  There is a set of used parts on there right now for more then 150.  Which is what they have been selling for.

Ive searched the auctions and poeple have sold the $270 parts kits for $450!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I just waded through the three pages about the kits on "build it yourself". Those seem to be a lot better than the ones I saw.

IMO the best brake is the wilson. It cost about $35 and is realy easy to install. It already has a set screw in place so installation is a snap. Several dealers told me my rifle was illegal because of the "flash supressor". It looks really good.

I don't think cutting off a chrome-lined barrel is a real good idea. Let us know if it affects accuracy any.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Top Top