Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2005 3:31:04 PM EDT
Probably the best product to change the color of nylon goods is to use a spray dye. Dye is actually a misnomer as the stuff is a thinned version of paint. The benefit of using spray dye over spray paint, is the dye tends to soak thru the nylon fibers, spraypaint does not. The dye also doesn't leave the heavy paint smell that spraypaint does, it uses some other less smelly solvent as a carrying agent. I have used SEM products extensively and they work well. The SEM dye products can be purchased at most auto body paint suppliers. Application is straightforward, shake well and spray according to the directions on the can. here is an OD Blackhawk mag pouch I dyed a sand color.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
So, where do you buy it?   How does it hold up?
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
well that's just pretty cool right there.  Are you spraying the plastic buckles with it too, or is that just regular paint?
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks great!

Where did you get it? No DIY stores near me sells it
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah how does it hold up?

Can it be undone (with washing or using some kind of detergent)?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
You can usually buy it at auto paint supply stores locally. Check your phone book.

It will not wear off the codura nylon, and webbing.  It seeps all the way thru to the inside changing the color. It cannot be removed or washed out. It can be touched up or redyed another color.

when used on hard plastic buckles, it will scratch off, unless you use the SEM adhesion promoter, and fully prep for paint. IMO it's not worth it, espescially since alot of the time you can't remove the plastic hardware. You can either leave it as it gets scratched, or touch up anytime.

For people that are Ok with spraying their gear, the benefits over spray paint are it penetrates the nylon better, and doesn't have the nasty solvent that makes the stuff stink for 3 months.

Link Posted: 11/10/2005 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you think that if you sprayed this over a camouflage pattern, the pattern would be preserved to some extent, just 'recolored'.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 4:44:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I used it to dust a pair of woodland camo Alta kneepads, a light spray subdues the camo, but it is still visible. I'm sure a heavy coat would cover it completely.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
HUGE TAG!
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I've used Krylon camo paint on alot of stuff,gear and guns etc,here a few pix of my black vest, it has been a few years since this camo was applied,as you can see it hold up  good.

Anytime you use paint with dark tint, it can get a chock residue,but it wipes off & your good to go.
Also,using this type of camo, it easily touches up,if & when needed.

The smell goes away after a few days.

TG

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
tag bump
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to pull the pics, I'll try to get them back up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Great post, I have a few items that I want to change color (away from black).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top