Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 10:27:46 AM EDT
Should I spend th extra 100+ dollars for a milled stainless steel receiver or just go with the stamped variety.  I don't beleive it makes a difference in accuracy and I do not handload ammo so I will go with the majority opinion.  Are their any advantages to a milled receiver?  Wear and tear, reliability, accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not seen a milled stainless steel receiver.Are you sure its not the cast SS receiver.
The one I have is the Century cast SS receiver and its held up like a tank since 2001.
I can tell you that the cast SS receiver is tougher than the stamped.The cast SS receiver is heat treated and will take a beating.
The Century stamped receivers are thinner than an original cetme or a HK factory receiver.And are also much softer.So they tend to bend,particularly in the mag well.
The only draw back to the cast SS receiver is its a bit thicker and gives problems with adding a claw scope mount.
The century receivers are all basically out of spec so expect it.
Otherwise no complaints from me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the stamped ones and like it plenty.  It was $279 new in box when I got it.  How can you beat that?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
No milled  recivers,,only stamped and cast SS . as said the cast ones have issues with mounts and stock fitting. besides that the rifles are well worth the  $$$
visit cetmerifles.com for more info or ?'s and gunboards FR8/cetme forum.

i have a stamped cetme, 3000rnds plus thruit works great,, buy choice i just replaced the guts a few months ago,, great rifle,,, only down fall is i want it  to shorter
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the Stainless!...................there is more of a chance of the stamped being out of spec.  I believe this is because the stamped require extra welding steps, that give CAI extra chances to mess up.  Also, like said before, the stamped receivers are softer than the genuine HK.  They are prone to get indentions on the rails from the rollers at certain spots.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Just so I'm strait    1.  Stamped= multiple sheets pressed together by machine or autohammer
                           2.  Cast= liquid metal poured into prefab shape or mold
                           3.  Milled= machined down from a solid block of medal

Preference for cast or milled?
Isn't a milled receiver stronger?  
Milled is most expensive, right?
I do not reload and most likley will not cycle insanely hot ammo through my weapons except maybe my Glock, does it really matter for me.  Durability aside of course I am very maticulous in maitanance of my weapons.  

Any feedback greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I do not know about anyone else, but I came across this with the CETME's-

The curved CETME mags work better with the cast recievers than the HK mags do. The HK mags work better in the stamped receivers.

I had a stamped one and some of the curved mags. It was a jam-o'matic. Under the suggestion of some people at the CETME site, I got some HK alloy mags. Ran 100%...

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just so I'm strait    1.  Stamped= multiple sheets pressed together by machine or autohammer
                           2.  Cast= liquid metal poured into prefab shape or mold
                           3.  Milled= machined down from a solid block of medal

Preference for cast or milled?
Isn't a milled receiver stronger?  
Milled is most expensive, right?
I do not reload and most likley will not cycle insanely hot ammo through my weapons except maybe my Glock, does it really matter for me.  Durability aside of course I am very maticulous in maitanance of my weapons.  

Any feedback greatly appreciated

there is no milled recivers! only cast and stamped.
origanls are stamped,, but themetal is harder/thicker,
as tothe mags,,, the century G3 clone use's the same reciver that is on the century cetme,, thats why  i  most cases cetme  and 91/G3 mags work. some like  one or the other better

the reciver in the cetme g3 clones really doesnt have to be strong ,,its only there to hold the bolt acrrier and such,, it need to be some what rigid tho so it wont flex,,which really only affects accuracy.  Its not like other rifles where the reciver ""hold'" the pressure from the rounds charge.

with these rifles make sure you clean,, them serval if not more times before a range trip., century doesnt do the best job of cleaning them  out. this will leave you frustrated if every other round you are getting fte's and ftf's..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top