Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:11:55 PM EDT
just got my first FAL the on marks on the lower say Century Arms, Georgia VT, R1A1 Sporter Made in USA. Any help is gratly appreciated my only issue is it will not cycle it only opens the bolt about half way so it does not eject the brass or chamber another one but it does not jam either and ideas would be great
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Turn the gas regulator to a lower setting. Check to make sure that the cross pin is in place at the front of the gas tube. If its not, enough gas will leak to cause a problem. You can make one with a piece of coat hanger if you have to.

There may be nothing wrong. Many times Century guns come with the gas plug installed on the single shot grenade setting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
OK being a total FAL nub how would I check the setting  for single shot
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
FALShootist has given you some good advice - check your gas setting and gas tube retaining pin before anything else... IIRC, if the gas plug is on the grenade setting, it shouldn't move the bolt rearward AT ALL - so that probably isn't your problem... Another area to check is either the gas piston or bolt/carrier dragging - what I do, is remove the gas piston spring, and the recoil springs in the buttstock - then by holding the rifle muzzle up and muzzle down, everything *should* be able to travel freely.... if not, find out where it's binding/dragging...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OK being a total FAL nub how would I check the setting  for single shot

OK, I just took a look at one of mine - the "A" is supposed to face upwards(in the same direction as your front sight post) for your rifle to function properly...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
ok i checked that the a was up and the gas dial was tried open and closed will try the springs now
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ok i checked that the a was up and the gas dial was tried open and closed will try the springs now

Completely unthread the gas regulator, and make sure you have a gas tube retaining pin - a lack of that could very well be your problem...

Lastly, if you do end up removing those springs, take care while removing the recoil springs - capture them with a .22 cleaning rod through the hole on the nut, and be prepared for them to be under a fair amount of pressure...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Another thing to check is proper alignment of the receiver's gas piston hole.  Remove the bolt, gas plug, piston, and piston spring, then drop the piston (w/o spring) through the tube.  It should fall freely through the hole in the receiver.  If it binds then the hole may be off center.

I have an R1A1 which had this problem.  I sent it back to Century and they fixed it under warranty, by grinding on the correct spot of the hole so the piston no longer binds.  If my rifle had not been under warranty I would've done the same thing myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top