Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2011 2:06:09 PM EDT
Previously I was having some neck tension issues so I removed my sizing pin out of my 223 die and polished the largest part (sizing ball) down to .222". After I did this I put the die back together. I couldn't remember exactly how to put it back in, but it was suggested to me to just put it in far enough so that the pin pushes out spent primers(it sticks about 3/8" out from the bottom of the die). So I put it back in, but ran into a couple of problems. When I first started sizing some brass, the pin came out of the die on the down stroke of the press inside the case after the 3rd one. I think I didn't put enough lube inside the necks. So I had to work it out of the case, then take the top of the die off and put the pin back in. I put more lube in the necks and on the outside of the cases and tried again, but  then it happened again. Frustrated, I got it out again, took the die apart again, put the pin back in again, and then I really tightened the top screw or whatever down very tight. I then tried sizing again and now it time it stays in. I then proceeded to re-size about 5 cases. I took one of the cases and seated a bullet in it (no powder or primer) as a dummy round to test my neck tension. I then put it in a mag and then the mag into my AR and chambered the round. I then ejected the round and re-measured. The measurement didn't change. I did this several times and still the measurements were the same, so it looked like my neck tension issue was resolved. I then proceeded to make about 20 rounds. I went to the range yesterday and I started off shooting some factory ammo first. I then proceeded to try out my 20 reloads. I fired about 3 of them and then I ran into one that didn't fire. I assumed it was a bad primer and when to pull the charging handle back and it didn't budge. I yanked and yanked HARD on the charging handle and after a short while the case finally came out. I stopped shooting the rest of my reloads at that point. Later last night I pulled the one round that didn't go off apart with my kinetic puller and then inspected everything. The primer was pierced but didn't fire (wolf primer), the powder looked okay, but then I noticed something at the bottom of the case. It was a lightly colored ring. These cases were originally factory ammo that I fired only once and only reloaded this one time. Today I sized some more of those cases and that was when I noticed that mark I saw on the one case is getting put on all my cases after sizing. As far as I know I don't believe this was happening before I messed with the die and pin. Here are some pics of what I am talking about.

Example of a previously fired case that has been cleaned before it goes into the re-sizing die.

Here are some pics of the same case after sizing. Note the bright ring now towards the bottom of the case.

I check the cases with my dillon case gage and they drop in fine and look correct. Here are some pics of that same case in my gage.

So now I am no longer going further with making any 223 reloads until someone can shine some light on what may be going on. I have to work the next two days, but on Sunday I am going to clean my rifle and take a look at the chamber. I hope I didn't damage anything. I hope you guys can help me out. I am about ready to throw out that 223 die and buy a new one from rcbs or some other die manufacturer.
Mav

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you saying you use NO crimp at all on your AR15 loads?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
There is usually a ring there from the sizing die.  That brass looks like shit though.

I don't crimp any of my AR loads.  Not necessary with sufficient neck tension.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#3]
That's where the sizing stops.

Put a wide black magic mark on that area, then size and inspect.

Danny
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Agreed, that is where the sizing die stops.

Normal.   If you tumble your brass after resizing, that'll go away and your brass will look factory new.

-Masta
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is usually a ring there from the sizing die.  That brass looks like shit though.

Key word...

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you saying you use NO crimp at all on your AR15 loads?

No so far I haven't crimped. I did just order a Lee FCD so I am going to experiment with crimping going forward.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Okay, but why does my brass look like shit?

Yeah I have been told that good neck tension does not need crimping, that is why I did what I did to try to improve mine...
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]
So it is normal. I guess I never noticed it before. So you guys think my die is set okay? What about that stuck case? Just a bad one maybe? That kindof freaked me out when it didn't open up there for a minute...
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What about that stuck case?

What length are you trimming your cases to, and are you trimming before or after resizing?

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Something just doesn't look right with the texture of it.  Like it may not last long.  Who knows, just me maybe.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about that stuck case?

What length are you trimming your cases to, and are you trimming before or after resizing?

My steps->De-prime with lee universal deprimer, wet tumble clean then dry, re-size, trim to approx 1.752" (+/-.001"), dry tumble off lube, remove crimp/swage/uniform pocket (if needed) then prime case, charge case, seat bullet.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Something just doesn't look right with the texture of it.  Like it may not last long.  Who knows, just me maybe.

It might be just be the closeup pic I took...

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:30:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 4:11:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks AeroE. I guess there is no problems, so I will re-size and load up some more. That one getting stuck still was weird. Maybe the chamber was starting to get too dirty. Thanks guys for the input...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top