Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 1/18/2008 9:03:43 AM EST
I have a C&R rifle that I want to sell. The catch is, that I want to sell every part of it except the stock. Is it ok to sell it to someone with a C&R license? Or do I have to buy a cheap stock to complete it in order to sell to a C&R?
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:09:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By kingfish:
I have a C&R rifle that I want to sell. The catch is, that I want to sell every part of it except the stock. Is it ok to sell it to someone with a C&R license? Or do I have to buy a cheap stock to complete it in order to sell to a C&R?

I think it has to be in its original configuration to qualify as a C&R.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:34:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By jrkarp:

Correct a listed firearm in original configuration, or a firearm over 50 years old. Just about everything on the C&R list is over 50 years old now.

but its kinda a gray area
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:58:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By jrkarp:

I believe that only applies to military arms, since they derive their "Curio" status from being former military arms. Once they're modified, they're no longer considered C&R's because they're not original military arms and not "collectable" as a result.

But if they're also over 50, then they're good to go.

I believe this is how some places are selling stripped 1903 actions or "sporterized" Mosins as C&R's; they're over 50 so they qualify.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 4:49:53 PM EST
To clarify, I want to trade my smith corona 1903a3 for a Remington 1903a3. But I want to keep the stock that I have (becasue its a nice remington stock). Can a trade be done with another person with a C&R license?
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 5:24:50 PM EST
I'm pretty sure SOG has stripped 1903a3 actions for sale and they list them as C&R-eligible.

I don't know the 1903's so I don't know if it is over 50 years old. But if it is, I'd say you're good to go. A barreled action is a firearm and if it is over 50, it is a C&R. If it's under 50, then it would have to be a complete military arm (assuming the 1903a3 is on the C&R list).
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 3:23:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By mtk:
I'm pretty sure SOG has stripped 1903a3 actions for sale and they list them as C&R-eligible.

I don't know the 1903's so I don't know if it is over 50 years old. But if it is, I'd say you're good to go. A barreled action is a firearm and if it is over 50, it is a C&R. If it's under 50, then it would have to be a complete military arm (assuming the 1903a3 is on the C&R list).

Its over 60 years old, so I guess its ok.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 8:20:46 AM EST
SOG is known to play fast and loose with the rules. They have sold me items as a C&R that later were determined NOT to be C&R.

I would not use them as a guide to what is actually C&R or not.

Dennis Jenkins

Its over 60 years old, so I guess its ok.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 12:48:37 PM EST
The short answer is Yes! Your basically buying a receiver with a number with a C&R thats over 50 years old and thats all. You don't log into your bound book "1903 Springfield W/O stock". You list 1903 Springfield with the serial number and thats it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 1:22:45 PM EST
Smith-Corona 1903A3 out, Reminton 1903A3 in. They're all over 50 years old so they qualify on that alone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:20:46 PM EST
As long as its over the 50yr mark you are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:54:27 AM EST
So if I buy a "Thompson Center Contender Pistol, cal. 7mm TCU, IHMSA 10th anniversary commemorative, S/Ns IHMSA 10-001 to IHMSA 10-200." right off the C&R list, but it's missing its stock/grips, it's no longer C&R eligible?

What if the C&R rifle kingfish has is missing a sight-screw instead? Or the buttplate?

Me thinks "original configuration" is meant to say the firearm hasn't been permanently modified - has nothing to do with the "completeness" of the firearm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:50:58 AM EST
Then M1-Garand receivers-only from CMP are considered C&R weapons and can be shipped directly to the address on my C&R FFL?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:45:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By mordecai:
So if I buy a "Thompson Center Contender Pistol, cal. 7mm TCU, IHMSA 10th anniversary commemorative, S/Ns IHMSA 10-001 to IHMSA 10-200." right off the C&R list, but it's missing its stock/grips, it's no longer C&R eligible?

What if the C&R rifle kingfish has is missing a sight-screw instead? Or the buttplate?

Me thinks "original configuration" is meant to say the firearm hasn't been permanently modified - has nothing to do with the "completeness" of the firearm.

For the tenth time, the "original configuration" stuff applies to military arms.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:20:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By drfcolt:
Then M1-Garand receivers-only from CMP are considered C&R weapons and can be shipped directly to the address on my C&R FFL?

The CMP is allowed under law to ship directly to your door... C&R or no C&R.
So yes, they can ship directly to the address on your C&R FFL.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:37:11 PM EST
it's my understanding as long as it's not peremently modified, whitch not having a stock is not a perm. mod. it's fine because you can buy an orig. stock, install it & it's in orig. config. just probally not #'s matching whitch is also fine. now if say the bolt hole locations were moved on the rec. to fit a diffrent type of stock that would not be ok. ''perminent'' is the key word, missing orig. parts is not a perm. mod. i wonder if say an action mount hole was damaged/stripped requireing being tapped larger &/or installing a heli coil to repair would be a perminant mod. it seems technically a perm. mod. but would probally fly?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:26:53 PM EST
If the key word here is Permanent, then having no stock should be ok. I assume permanent is a sporterized, drilled and tapped out type modification.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:46:35 AM EST

For the tenth time, the "original configuration" stuff applies to military arms.

Fine, we'll use "Makarov, pistol, East German, caliber 9mm Makarov."

Top Top