Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2008 10:03:43 AM EDT
I have a C&R rifle that I want to sell.  The catch is, that I want to sell every part of it except the stock.  Is it ok to sell it to someone with a C&R license?  Or do I have to buy a cheap stock to complete it in order to sell to a C&R?
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a C&R rifle that I want to sell.  The catch is, that I want to sell every part of it except the stock.  Is it ok to sell it to someone with a C&R license?  Or do I have to buy a cheap stock to complete it in order to sell to a C&R?

I think it has to be in its original configuration to qualify as a C&R.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct a listed firearm in original configuration, or a firearm over 50 years old. Just about everything on the C&R list is over 50 years old now.

but its kinda a gray area
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that only applies to military arms, since they derive their "Curio" status from being former military arms.  Once they're modified, they're no longer considered C&R's because they're not original military arms and not "collectable" as a result.

But if they're also over 50, then they're good to go.

I believe this is how some places are selling stripped 1903 actions or "sporterized" Mosins as C&R's; they're over 50 so they qualify.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
To clarify, I want to trade my smith corona 1903a3 for a Remington 1903a3.  But I want to keep the stock that I have (becasue its a nice remington stock).  Can a trade be done with another person with a C&R license?
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure SOG has stripped 1903a3 actions for sale and they list them as C&R-eligible.

I don't know the 1903's so I don't know if it is over 50 years old.  But if it is, I'd say you're good to go.  A barreled action is a firearm and if it is over 50, it is a C&R.  If it's under 50, then it would have to be a complete military arm (assuming the 1903a3 is on the C&R list).
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure SOG has stripped 1903a3 actions for sale and they list them as C&R-eligible.

I don't know the 1903's so I don't know if it is over 50 years old.  But if it is, I'd say you're good to go.  A barreled action is a firearm and if it is over 50, it is a C&R.  If it's under 50, then it would have to be a complete military arm (assuming the 1903a3 is on the C&R list).

Its over 60 years old, so I guess its ok.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#7]
SOG is known to play fast and loose with the rules.   They have sold me items as a C&R that later were determined NOT to be C&R.

I would not use them as a guide to what is actually C&R or not.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its over 60 years old, so I guess its ok.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The short answer is Yes!  Your basically buying a receiver with a number with a C&R thats over 50 years old and thats all.  You don't log into your bound book "1903 Springfield W/O stock".  You list 1903 Springfield with the serial number and thats it.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Smith-Corona 1903A3 out, Reminton 1903A3 in. They're all over 50 years old so they qualify on that alone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as its over the 50yr mark you are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#11]
So if I buy a "Thompson Center Contender Pistol, cal. 7mm TCU, IHMSA 10th anniversary commemorative, S/Ns IHMSA 10-001 to IHMSA 10-200." right off the C&R list, but it's missing its stock/grips, it's no longer C&R eligible?  

What if the C&R rifle kingfish has is missing a sight-screw instead?  Or the buttplate?  

Me thinks "original configuration" is meant to say the firearm hasn't been permanently modified - has nothing to do with the "completeness" of the firearm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Then M1-Garand receivers-only from CMP are considered C&R weapons and can be shipped directly to the address on my C&R FFL?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So if I buy a "Thompson Center Contender Pistol, cal. 7mm TCU, IHMSA 10th anniversary commemorative, S/Ns IHMSA 10-001 to IHMSA 10-200." right off the C&R list, but it's missing its stock/grips, it's no longer C&R eligible?  

What if the C&R rifle kingfish has is missing a sight-screw instead?  Or the buttplate?  

Me thinks "original configuration" is meant to say the firearm hasn't been permanently modified - has nothing to do with the "completeness" of the firearm.

For the tenth time, the "original configuration" stuff applies to military arms.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Then M1-Garand receivers-only from CMP are considered C&R weapons and can be shipped directly to the address on my C&R FFL?

The CMP is allowed under law to ship directly to your door... C&R or no C&R.
So yes, they can ship directly to the address on your C&R FFL.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#15]
it's my understanding as long as it's not peremently modified, whitch not having a stock is not a perm. mod. it's fine because you can buy an orig. stock, install it & it's in orig. config. just probally not #'s matching whitch is also fine. now if say the bolt hole locations were moved on the rec. to fit a diffrent type of stock that would not be ok. ''perminent'' is the key word, missing orig. parts is not a perm. mod. i wonder if say an action mount hole was damaged/stripped requireing being tapped larger &/or installing a heli coil to repair would be a perminant mod. it seems technically a perm. mod. but would probally fly?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
If the key word here is Permanent, then having no stock should be ok.  I assume permanent is a sporterized, drilled and tapped out type modification.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
For the tenth time, the "original configuration" stuff applies to military arms.

Fine, we'll use "Makarov, pistol, East German, caliber 9mm Makarov."  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top