Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 9:21:13 AM EDT
Just got my first M1A. Looks like it has one of the recalled bolts in it. What was the actual reason for the recall, and can I still go ahead and shoot it before I get it sent back? Or should I wait to be safe? Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#2]
According to the bolt stampings as detailed on Differents website. Greg
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]
From Different's works:

1987 Springfield Armory, Inc. Recall Notice
Springfield Armory, Inc. issued a recall of M1A bolts in 1987. The recall applies to M1A bolts marked as follows:
1) No numerical or alphabetical characteristics on either the top or back of the bolt (completely unmarked)
2) Any bolt with any numerical or alphabetical markings at all on the back of the bolt
3) Any bolt with the top marked 7790185 and with SA RRR centered below that number 4) Any bolt with the top marked 790185 and with SA centered below that number

Apparently they are still honoring the recall.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#4]
My $0.02, don't shoot the M1A this weekend.  Call Springfield Armory, Inc. on Monday and speak with Customer Service.  Yes, they still honor the recall.  If the bolt is one of those recalled, they will pick up the tab and replace the bolt.  A few of these recalled bolts are still out there.  If your bolt is NOT recalled, go ahead and enjoy your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Ripcode: Bingo on #3!

Different: I was afraid someone would say not to shoot it, I just reloaded 20 rds to go try it. Oh well.

Thanks. Greg
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:34:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ripcode: Bingo on #3!

Different: I was afraid someone would say not to shoot it, I just reloaded 20 rds to go try it. Oh well.

Thanks. Greg

Don't talk about using RELOADS when discussing your M1A with Springfield Armory.

Paladin
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought an M1A Friday, 12AUG. Found it had a recalled bolt an hour later.

Shipped it off next day air on the 15th.

I'll have it back (already shipped) Wednesday the 24th.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I called SA this morning about it. Of course I found out on Differents site and by reading your post (because my bolt number is the same as yours) that it was a recall. I gave the lady in CS the bolt number, and without hesitation she said it would have to be replaced and to send it back. Gave me the authorization number and said to ship it. Very pleasant and helpful. Said I could send just the bbl'd receiver, but since its bedded and I've never disassembled an M1A yet, I'm going to ship the whole thing back so I don't screw up anything before I've even shot it. Figure I'll include a note asking what model or configuration it was/is. I'd like to know what bbl manf it is too. I know I can do all that myself but it would be kind of nice to find out while they've got it apart. Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
If this is your first time firing a new to you firearm you really should test it with known factory ammo. You are testing/proving the firearm not your handloads.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
You are asking if you should shoot ba recalled bolt? You are the reason Preparation H says "Do not take orally".
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:14:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Noname: I know a lot of people don't shoot reloads in their military rifles. But I haven't bought a box of shells (except for .22) in close to 25 yrs. I started reloading back in the 70's and have done it ever since. Just preferred to roll my own.

Buey: The reason I was asking was this rifle has been around since 83 and it isn't a cherry. It's been fired. Its hard to tell how much and I didn't know the nature of the recall...safety or what. Could be a lot of different reasons. Thanks for your helpful input tho. You're one of the reasons for my low post count...I find its better to just READ the forums. I've never understood why people feel the need to belittle someone on a question they're trying to get answered.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You are asking if you should shoot ba recalled bolt? You are the reason Preparation H says "Do not take orally".

Buey <----
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top