Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2009 11:33:21 AM EDT
I just purchased my quota of Garand ammo for the year. Can my wife purchase ammo also if she gets an account set up?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes-no restrictions on a household or shipping address.  Sign up the whole family.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I have never really bought much M1 ammo. A can here or there. I'm a bit worried availability is going down the tubes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
CMP was set up for...............

STATUTORY MISSION. The federal law enacted in 1996 (Title 36 U. S. Code, §40701-40733) that created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS, the formal legal name of the CMP) mandates these key “functions” for the corporation:

(1) To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;

(2) To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;

(3) To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.

The law specifically states: In carrying out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the corporation shall give priority to activities that benefit firearms safety, training, and competition for youth and that reach as many youth participants as possible.

Not to be a wise a$$ but.............does your wife really shoot?

Or, are you looking for a loop hole?

Aloha, Mark

PS...........IF she doesn't shoot...........start getting her interested.

And note.........

Eligibilty Requirements for Purchase  
By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also U.S. citizens, over 18 years of age and who are legally eligible to purchase a firearm.

More info..........

http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Technically, I'm looking for a loop hole. On the other hand, in the past I would buy a spam can every so often. With the prospect of ammo drying, I'm a bit worried about not being able to shoot my Garand. My wife does shoot but she isn't an avid shooter. She may not even be eligible.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If the CMP quits selling surplus M1 ammo, someone else will produce something that is suitable.

Also:  Have you considered getting an adjustable gas plug for your Garand?   They cost ~$30-$40 and you can shoot any .30-06 ammo if you have the adjustable gas plug.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the CMP quits selling surplus M1 ammo, someone else will produce something that is suitable.

Also:  Have you considered getting an adjustable gas plug for your Garand?   They cost ~$30-$40 and you can shoot any .30-06 ammo if you have the adjustable gas plug.

There are already two companies producing it. Bad thing is its well over $1.00 per rd
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are already two companies producing it. Bad thing is its well over $1.00 per rd

Yup.   Which seems to make the choice to buy an adjustable gas plug even more of a no brainer for a non reloading Garand owner.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Didn't know that. Thanks

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Technically, I'm looking for a loop hole. On the other hand, in the past I would buy a spam can every so often. With the prospect of ammo drying, I'm a bit worried about not being able to shoot my Garand. My wife does shoot but she isn't an avid shooter. She may not even be eligible.

The CMP-HXP ammo is over rated and it's not the bargain it used to be although the HXP cases are GTG.  Handloaded Match Kings are what my M1s like.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CMP-HXP ammo is over rated and it's not the bargain it used to be although the HXP cases are GTG.  Handloaded Match Kings are what my M1s like.

Nothing is what it used to be.  But at ~43 cents a round, maybe a little more if you have to cull a few bad rounds, name any other place that you can get an M1 round that even comes close to that price.  Hell!  Double the price and name anyplace that comes close to it.  And there must not be much wrong with the ammo.  It is what many shooters use at matches.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing is what it used to be.  But at ~43 cents a round, maybe a little more if you have to cull a few bad rounds, name any other place that you can get an M1 round that even comes close to that price.  Hell!  Double the price and name anyplace that comes close to it.  And there must not be much wrong with the ammo.  It is what many shooters use at matches.

I just got an e-mail saying that the shipping costs were going up too. Glad I got my yearly quota already and just ordered the Schuster gas plugs during Midway's sale. Things don't look bright for the future of Garand ammo.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:29:25 AM EDT
[#12]
This isnt the first Time CMP has run out of M2Ball. Its has happened before, who knows they may or may not find another stash somewhere
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My reloading bench.  HXP isn't bad ammo and it shoots OK in my commercial M1 barrels but my handloads are cleaner and more accurate, especially in the GI barrels.  It bothers me when people say that they won't be able to shoot their M1s anymore when the Greek ammo is gone.  When I started shooting M1s, the only choices were commercial PMC, LC or handloads.  If you wanted accuracy, you handloaded.  PMC no longer loads the M2 equivalent round.  Federal GM Match ammo is not loaded for M1s, I asked.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:35:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Federal does make a Garand safe load as well as Hornady but very pricey
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/federal-introduces-affordable-m1-garand-ammo/

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=775
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top