Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2001 8:20:56 PM EDT
I just got my sharpshooter card (woohoo) and was gonna start to put together another AR - was thinking of a Dissipator type upper, but then heard about the CMP Garands.  Never even held a Garand before, but I'm thinking I should get one and that will be one less for the shredder (if the govt decides to demil).  I have two ARs - 1 HBAR and 1 NM for service rifle and was thinking about a 16" Dissipator.  So, if you had the money for one or the other, which would you get?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely the M-1 for the reason you stated and like the AR-15 it's an affliction. Man, they shoot great. Nine and a half pounds of steel and wood that helped save the world from tyranny. The weapon of heroes. Get one, who knows where it has seen action or the stories of the men who carried it or how many of our enemies it has slain. I love that sound when the clip is ejected after the last round is fired. The feel of that .30-06 bucking against your shoulder during rapid fire. You know your firing a battle rifle!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I concur. When I ordered my Garand they were still $310 and luck of the draw, and I got a correct HRA. I love my Garand. Here's a tip though; Order the Garand minus the wood and buy a nice laminated stock, that way you'll save the $75 towards the new, nice stock...
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just got my sharpshooter card (woohoo) and was gonna start to put together another AR - was thinking of a Dissipator type upper, but then heard about the CMP Garands.  Never even held a Garand before, but I'm thinking I should get one and that will be one less for the shredder (if the govt decides to demil).  I have two ARs - 1 HBAR and 1 NM for service rifle and was thinking about a 16" Dissipator.  So, if you had the money for one or the other, which would you get?

Definitely a Garand.  I shot in the Garand Match at Camp Perry.  It was great.  I got mine and the wood was a little rough, but the metal was like brand new.  I put a new stock on it and it is beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here.

I have two ARs also and a Garand would definitly be on the wish list before another one.

BTW, I finally got to play with one a little while ago and it's a real hoot.  I love that ping.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 1:56:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the M1. I got one from the CMP in July. It is a late run ('57) Springfield that is almost like new. My buddy got a '43 Springfield at the same time. It's all luck of the draw but I would have been thrilled with either one. I love my AR, but the M1 is a true work of art.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Everybody now,

M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Since you already have a pile of AR's, I'd get the CMP Garand.

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a Garand from CMP along with some ammo. Three Garands and 2,000+ rounds and I've never looked back.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Whoa - 9 votes for the Garand and none for the AR kit (would be my third).  I think I will put the funds toward the Garand.  Thanks also for the tip on ordering it without the wood - will definitely consider it.  Is the wood normally in bad shape on the CMP Garands?  Is there a lot of fitting required to install the new wood?  All that is left to do is to join another club since the one I shoot with isn't on the CMP affiliated list and then send in the paper work and money.  Also, are there any differences in the service grade and the Danish Issue as far as condition or serviceability?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks also for the tip on ordering it without the wood - will definitely consider it.

If you order an M-1 without the wood, you will have to order a stock with all of the metal parts or buy them separately.

Is the wood normally in bad shape on the CMP Garands?  Is there a lot of fitting required to install the new wood?

The wood can be rough, the Boyd's stock needed minimal fitting.  It is not difficult, just time consuming.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is a Garand with the laminated stock. If mine wasn't a perfect HRA, I'd have ordered this stock long ago. No, the laminates never seem to come with the hardware, but I'm sure you can pick it up from www.fulton-armory.com or somewhere else. Oh yea, they also sell the stock. I think the stock makes the rifle look tits!

http://www.fulton-armory.com/CompGrade-640_50.jpg
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
untill two years ago i to "never even held a garand", i always thought "who'd ever want that heavy ass wwII relic, untill i got one from cmp, and got garanditis. now i've got four. and one greentag. now i'm a believer
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#15]
fallschirmjager;  i love that stock, i've never been interested in garands until one of the vfw guys at my grandfathers funeral had one like yours..once i get a job again i think i'm going to go that route.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my 1943 SA I got from CMP. I wrote on my order I wanted a definte shooter and didnt care if mismatched parts. My Garand had been a TOTAL arnsel rebuild with every part NEW in 1945 including barrel. Gunsmith who checked it over wanted to buy it for $250 profit as wanted the all new Winchester parts in it. He said after WW2 military rebuilt some like mine completely just to use up excess parts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Get the Garand and don't look back.One word of warning-just like AR's they are a bad habit.Don't be surprised if you can't stop at one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top