Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 8:51:42 AM EDT
After reading through all the previous posts regarding service grade rifles, and the replies I received regarding rack vs field grade (thanks guys) , it occurred to me that I haven't seen anything in the way of comments regarding the correct grades.  I'll admit that $850-$900 is more than I would like to pay for an occassional shooter, but I'm interested to hear from anyone that has firsthand knowledge of a correct grade and realistic increase in quality over a service grade.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
My friend has gotten about 8 Garand's from the CMP in the last 2 or 3 years. Last month he got a Correct Grade. I gotta say the thing looks like it just left the factory. It looks like it was never fired or issued. Post your e-mail address and I'll get him to send you a picture.( He doesn't know how to post pics on a website.) HTH, Nick
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My friend has gotten about 8 Garand's from the CMP in the last 2 or 3 years. Last month he got a Correct Grade. I gotta say the thing looks like it just left the factory. It looks like it was never fired or issued. Post your e-mail address and I'll get him to send you a picture.( He doesn't know how to post pics on a website.) HTH, Nick

i would like to see pics of it if you get a chance im me if you can send me pics of it thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 Greek Correct Grades. 2 HRA's and a Springfield. I also have a Springfield Collector Grade. All 4 rifles were purchased late in 05.

The Collector Grade looks unfired except for maybe proof firing. Not a mark on it anywhere except a couple of dings (no wood fiber breakage) on the stock which will steam out if I decide to do that.

The best Correct Grade is one of the HRA's which is a twin to the SA Collector. Maybe SLIGHTLY more rounds thru it but could have easily been graded a collector.

The SA Correct shows more bolt lug wear (still not much) but the wood is maybe the best of them all.

The other HRA Correct I picked as my shooter. When I first saw it I noticed the wood was not quite as nice and the bolt showed what I would consider "normal" wear for a 50 year old rifle. Turns out that the bolt is a late WWII SA bolt which the CMP is replacing for a correct HRA bolt. I've asked for a really nice one.  If I get a really good one I can do some swapping if I want with the best HRA to make it even better.

All of the rifles have TE's of 2 or less and the bores and muzzles are sharp and tight. Lock up on all but my chosen shooter is very, very tight.

IMHO the Correct Grades I have were a GREAT value. My SA Collector is a fantastic rifle but is it $500 dollars better than my best Correct Grade. Probably not to me.  (I'm a shooter not a really a collector).

I'm going to buy another Collector in 06 (HRA is all they have left) but I'm going to make the drive to the North Store so I can hand select it.  I'll buy another Correct Grade sight unseen.

But first I need a Service Grade......but then there is the 30-90 day wait for them.........so maybe another Field Grade...... but I already have one of those.... so........well you know how it goes.

Semper Fi

Rocketman

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't steam that nice wood.  It will only reduce collector value and its pretty good looking now, right?

SA Correct grade here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Having personally handled a few Correct grades at the North store,I can honestly say most are as close to a brand new M1 as you're going to find. I recall being there one morning when they brought a cart of rifles out several were Correct grades, I fondled one H&R that had a small ding in the rear handguard. It showed no wear patterns on the receiver or bolt, it looked like it was  fresh out of the factory box, The stock was perfect,the park was perfect, It was real hard to walk away from that one.... If you were going to buy one and if it was feasible to do so, I'd go to the north store and handpick one. Most of the Correct grades I saw were worth the money, some had a little more wear than I'd like to see on a $8-900 rifle. For this kind of money, I'd rather pick it out myself, That way I can give it a good once over before I buy it, and make sure it's as advertised....correct.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got back from the North Store three weeks ago where I picked up my eight M1's. One of those was a Correct Grade H&R. I looked at the Collector Grade's first but found the Correct Grades to be nicer overall. My H&R has some dings on the wood but all proofs are on the stocks and metal is mint to new condition. I would go with the Correct Grade if I were you but go choose it yourself that way you know what you are getting. This year I plan on getting two more to add to my collecton while I still can. Good Hunting!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks for having your friend send the pictures, that thing is beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:16:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all who replied.  If I lived close enough to go to the north store I'd be there already, but living in Florida makes for more of a road trip than I care to take.  If the rifle Nick's friend received is representative of the grade, I'll take my chances with a sight unseen delivery.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for having your friend send the pictures, that thing is beautiful!

Hey bro, any way you'd be willing to forward that picture to me?  I have been entertaining thoughts of a correct grade, and I think this thread is going to sel the deal.  Visual aids (eye candy!) always help, of course!  I'd be much appreciative, sir.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks to all who replied.  If I lived close enough to go to the north store I'd be there already, but living in Florida makes for more of a road trip than I care to take.  If the rifle Nick's friend received is representative of the grade, I'll take my chances with a sight unseen delivery.  

What city do you live in ? Ever go to the Babcock Webb Shoots?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:09:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What city do you live in ? Ever go to the Babcock Webb Shoots?

Live near Jacksonville, not familiar with the BW shoots.  The closest thing around here is Gateway rifle and pistol club.  They have a variety of shoots, but never managed to make it to one.  Maybe some day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top