Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2002 11:34:04 AM EDT
I'm a bit old fashoned in the cleaning of my firearms. Been checking out the posts on CLP's. Any feedback on the pros and cons. I assume you use to clean first then a layer to protect and lube?? I've had some problems during break in on my oly far-15 with not running the bolt wet enough with good old gun oil. Would a good clp be better? What about the bore? Do you need to run a patch on everything prior to firing after using a clp?
thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I use CLP just like Hoppes and Clenzoil in my other guns. ARs seem to prefer CLP due to their greater need for lube, and the teflon is almost always there somehow. Break-in is a paradox in that tolerances first usually need to loosen with wear before the AR gets reliable. My Armalite needed over 400 rounds/cycles to run well. Try a clean AR, hand cycle 100 times, clean again. Any dark stuff is not powder residue but coatings wearing into spec. Just what worked for me...
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I had read that the older formulation of CLP had to be changed because they were finding it caused liver damage.  I read this about a week after I spent an entire evening with my hands soaked in the stuff getting a bunch of steel mags coated for vacuum sealing and long term storage.  That was quite a few years ago, and still I use the new stuff all the time now.  I believe it's what the US military uses now, though I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
That's Uncle Sams choice when it come to the M16 or in our case AR15. I use Brake cleaner to get rid of some of the gerund and finish with CLP.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Other than Sweet's Bore Cleaner, CLP is the only thing I use on my guns.  Great stuff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I use clp, and nothing else.

On all my guns.  

And I like reliable, clean functioning guns.
I highly recommend it.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
"CLP any good uses?"

Try it on french fries.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Most men prefer Hoppes #9 for a cologne, I guess you could use CLP.  Lets us know what kind of effect it has on the ladies.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I also use CLP on the gas piston and tube under the forearm of my Beretta 390 shotgun. Conventional thought was to shoot a gas gun dry in these areas but I have found it keeps the powder residue and carbon from baking on hard, keeps it like a sludge that can be wiped off with a paper towel. I also use it on the piston of my MP44. It also works in a compensator to some degree, makes it a little easier to clean.
Tuco
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I also use CLP on the gas piston and tube under the forearm of my Beretta 390 shotgun. Conventional thought was to shoot a gas gun dry in these areas but I have found it keeps the powder residue and carbon from baking on hard, keeps it like a sludge that can be wiped off with a paper towel.

Tuco

Yep. I do the same on my 11-87. Little tip I picked up from locale skeet shooters who fire hundreds of round in a session.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I use it on all my firearms and anything else that needs a quality lube that lasts.

Shake well and use liberally.  Your AR bolt and carrier will love it.

Until the mid-70s, I used solvent and oil.  About that time, we changed over to CLP to clean our M-16s and M-60s.  We used to use pour gallon cans in big flat pans and just soak all the weapons in the stuff, then scrub the hell out of them and wipe down.  Never had any problems...and made a believer out of me.  I also use Powder Blast by the same company that makes Break Free CLP.  That works well also.

I'm long retired from the military but an Army infantry trooper and his retired Marine father friend of mine recently told me to keep the AR bolt assy. real wet with CLP..."...to the point of having it spray the stuff all over you when you shoot!"  Well, I do and it does.  Seems to work well...but I'd be interested to hear alternate viewpoints.

[:\]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I always finish up cleaning all my guns with a thig coating of CLP inside and out.  I let it sit for a few minutes while I'm attending to other stuff.  Then I gently wipe the excess away with a rag.  It's great for maintaining the exterior finish of metal parts, and for keeping all metal surfaces young and healthy.  Plus it smells good!
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
So who has the best price on bulk CLP?

Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have used CLP on all my weapons, both personal and issue w/o any problems for the last 15yrs.  I wont use anything else on any of my babies!
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So who has the best price on bulk CLP?

I second that question.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I also use CLP on the gas piston and tube under the forearm of my Beretta 390 shotgun. Conventional thought was to shoot a gas gun dry in these areas but I have found it keeps the powder residue and carbon from baking on hard, keeps it like a sludge that can be wiped off with a paper towel. I also use it on the piston of my MP44. It also works in a compensator to some degree, makes it a little easier to clean.
Tuco

I do exactly the same thing, use CLP on the piston /  tube of my AL390. Beretta recommends keeping it dry....they don't have a clue....ECS
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I was once told by one of my ex-wife's friends after cleaning my guns that the "cologne" I was wearing smelled nice.  And no, I am not making this up.

Been tempted to wear a dab of CLP out to the bars and see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Been tempted to wear a dab of CLP out to the bars and see what happens.

You will pick up smoke residue from all the cigarettes in the bar, but the CLP will keep in solution form so you won't jam up when you ask that pretty girl to dance. Might come in handy later if you need apply extra lubricant...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top