Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 1:12:59 PM EDT
I have been saving for a new gun for a couple years now, and I can't dicide what to get first.  The actual buy is 6 months off or so, but humor me anyway.  I want to get a good CCW piece, but then I want a nice .mil rifle.  I am leaning toward a HK P2000 in 40s&w, as I like the way it shoots and CCW should be more important than a fun gun.  

I have enough long guns to hunt anything(.300win, various family rifles), plink (sks), and the birdhunting area is well covered with a pair of old school winchester automatics.  I really like the M-14/M-1A, but an AR would be awesome as well.  I can't decide.  I will probably have about $700-$1000 saved for this by the end of this summer.  I am torn bewteen building a beautiful old school 30cal M-14, buying a light and fast 16" M4gery, or buying a concealed peice. Any thoughts?  

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Your CCW can also be your Home Defense gun, but the reverse can not be so.

Get the pistol first, then your Home D AR next.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Where I live, I think that a rifle as home defense would be a bad choice.  I don't want to shoot through my walls and accidentally hit the neighbors cat.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
A pistol on your hip should always come first. No matter how many rifles, shotguns, or RPGs you have at home, our CCW is the one that will most likely be called upon to save your ass.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where I live, I think that a rifle as home defense would be a bad choice.  I don't want to shoot through my walls and accidentally hit the neighbors cat.  

5.56 has less danger of overpenetration than most pistol ammo, you might want to double check the ammo oracle....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I was going off the Old Painless, and his Box'O Truth!  

ETA: Just looked up the info, and I come to the conclusion that pistol or rifle, it would go through my thin walls.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
buy a CCW, save up for the M14, and buy AR parts here and there

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:50:19 AM EDT
[#7]
CCW.  

Max
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:20:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

And a couple randomish things.
The M855 has less penetration at 20 meters than at 200 because the high velocity causes it to break up.
The Army states that the M855 will not reliably penetrate car doors.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Ditto the above, CCW first, then AR, I have a polytech M14 clone had the bolt conversion done, It shoots great! But, I'll be the first to admit prices in the M14 world are just going nuts. Prices on rifles are just outta sight, and parts have really went crazy, Everything about an M14 has gotten really pricey in the last couple of years due to the depleation of surplus parts. At least a AR is, Affordable, accurate, reliable,  High quality parts are easy to find, and reasonably priced  Mags are cheap, (I don't consider $25 a pop for surplus M14 mags a "deal") Ammo is cheaper, more options available for AR, sights,uppers ,bbls, etc, easier to mount a scope on if needed or wanted.  M14's are great rifles, and I like mine alot, But they are getting pretty expensive to own anymore..
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A pistol on your hip should always come first. No matter how many rifles, shotguns, or RPGs you have at home, our CCW is the one that will most likely be called upon to save your ass.

Big +1

Seydou
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#11]
CCW rig first.
Top Top