Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 8:51:05 AM EDT
The CCI #41 is noted as being specifically for 5.56mm military style ammunition, and the Wolf Magnum small rifle primers also note this on their packaging.

I have both, but have been unable to get the time to compare both extensively.

Has anyone had the time to work up loads with both types of primers but use the same powder/projectiles to find any differences?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not used CCI but have been using the wolf for 6 months now and an very happy. Have found a load that is just awesome.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have not used CCI but have been using the wolf for 6 months now and an very happy. Have found a load that is just awesome.

are you gonna share for those of us who are using wolf primers for the first time?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for load info
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

are you gonna share for those of us who are using wolf primers for the first time?

Bullet and weight:

Powder and weight:

Case:

Primer: Wolf SRM
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright I will share my load and tell my lame story of how I came to find this load, I  have six ARs. I have been working all summer to find the most accurate load for what should be my most accurate rifle. the rifle in question is a RRA 16 mid length 1/8 twist Wilde chambered stainless rifle. It has always shot about 1 moa at 100 yards no problem. So I set out to find the perfect load and buy expensive scope to take advantage of said perfect load.
           First I went from 60 grain bullets to the Hornaday 68 bthp. Supposed to be very accurate right? well then on to 69 gr matchking. After being displeased with their performance on to 75 gr bullets.  By displeased I mean 10 shots at 100 yards in an inch but at 200 yards like 3 inches and at 300 yards like 5 inches. Now you have to understand that I am trying each different weight bullet with 5 different powder loads. back and forth to the range day after day week after week.  All summer long.  The only thing that's making me not feel like an incompetent dope is the fact that my 16 inch RRA 6.8 spc rifle shoots 10 shots under an inch at 100 yards less than 2 inches at 200 yards and right around 3 inches at 300 yards and that is at a rate of about 3 shots per minute. So I guess I can shoot OK but something is not right to make my group open up so much past 100 yards.  

Now after all this I notice that I am all out of primers. So now I am looking all over for primers and there are none anywhere on the entire planet. I am also getting low on plinking/training bullets.  I usually use the ss109 62 bullet that's used in the M855 load for the military.  Well anyway as luck would have it I see that Wideners has some wolf SRM primers in stock. So I say what the hell and click on them right away before they are gone. At 23.50 per thousand I order 10K. I also ordered some Hornaday 55 gr soft point flat based spitzer bullets.  Bulk rate only like $95, I get only 1000 as they are not really my thing.
              So now all my stuff comes in the mail and I am sitting at my bench looking at this stuff that just came with no loads at all in mind for them as I really didn't even want them. I have 4 presses and  one  is set up for my plinking load 23 grains of H 322 which I use in my 62 grain ss109 load. This is max for 62 grain .223 but not for 5.56.  I have loaded as much as 24 grains with no problem.
                So now I am looking at the stuff and don't even feel like thinking about it so I think magnum primer need less powder but 55 grains is lighter that my usual 62 grain, so what to do?  I just said fuck it. So I loaded up 50 rounds of the 23 grains of H 322 with the wolf magnum primer and the 55 grain Hornaday sp bullet.  The brass was not trimmed and it was all kinds of different brass military and commercial both.  Like I said I just didn't give a shit.

So now I go to the range fire off a few shots at 100 yards with a 2x7 scope look through the spotting scope and see they were a lillte low and I make the adjustments on the scope.  Now I start shooting these half ass loads ( I did check the first few rounds for pressure signs) for a group at 100 yards.  I shoot 10 rounds and the range goes cold. So not really being able to see the group that well with the not so great scope I walk down the range to look at target. I get up there and there are 10 shots less than an inch. With bulk bullets.  I then proceed to put 10 more on top of the same group 20 in an inch.  I change targets and I am pretty excited and shoot a couple more inch or less groups and I am out of ammo. I can't believe this is happening as this should be my least accurate rifle.  16 inch RRA 1/9 twist chrome bore not free floating.

Anyway I am happy with this load but I am skeptical of how it will do at past 100 yards.  The next week I go to the 200 yard range and its putting 20 shots right at 2 inches. I can't believe it after all the shit I went through with the other rifle/load.  I fire 500 more at 200 and 100 yards over the next two weeks and the results are the same.  The expensive scope is now on the 1/9 chrome bore and the "match" barrel gun is for sale, fuck that thing. I will test it in 2 weeks at 300 yards. I only have access to 300 yard range a few times a year.

So in summary the load is 23 grains of H 322 with the Wolf small rifle magnum primer and 55 grain flat base soft point bullet.  I am not even going to bother trying to improve the load. I am guessing it is about 2900 FPS from the 16 barrel.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Great story, you just never know how a load / rifle will shoot.

I have used the Wolf SRM in many different 223 loads the past couple of years.

When I switched from Win SR to the Wolf SRM, I reworked up all of my loads.

I found my loads slightly more accurate with the Wolf SRM.

After working up my 55 and 62 gr FMJBT load, I ended up with the same powder charge with each primer.

Remember this is in my AR's, with my loads, which are about 1/2 gr under first signs of pressure. YMMV

For these loads, I use BLC2, Tac, and AA-2230. None of my loads exceed the reloading manuals max load.

No magic here, just work yourself up a load.

I have never seen any CCI # 41 primers for sale, so I have never loaded them.

I don't feel as I have missed anything.

Win SR, Wolf SRM, and Rem 7 1/2's have always worked for me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used 5000 CCI-BR4's but have never used any other primers from them in my rifles. BR4's are excellent by the way.

The Russian SRM 5.56mm primers are very good, and one hell of a deal. Benchrest is taking notice if that means anything. 6mmBR really likes them. They hold pressure well and are very consistent.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL!

No one's bothered to answer my question so far, i'm looking to compare CCI #41 directly to Wolf 5.56 primers, with all other variables being the same.

I guess i'll just load up 100 rounds of PMC brass with Wolf primers and compare it to my "bread and butter" load with the exact same amount of powder, with the same projectiles.

With daylight saving's time gone, range time is hard to come by though, so it may be a while before i report back.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like H322 in my .223 loads.    It's consistent, meters well, and is very predictable.   The only trade off seems to be a 100-200 fps velocity advantage by using slower/ball powders.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 10K CCI#41 primers and 5K Rem 7 1/2 primers and some loads like the Rem primers and some like the #41 primers, while I have never used the Wolf primers I have seen good results from them.

A little info on CCI#41 primers vs Wolf 223 & Wolf 5.56 in 5.56 AR but should apply to most all rounds.
Primer Test CCI #41 vs Wolf
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:40:54 AM EDT
[#12]
My experience with Wolf SRM vs Rem 7 1/2 vs Win SR...same powder charge, same bullet type, differing primers = no zero change out to 600yds.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I use 26.5gr WW748 and 55gr fmj bullets loaded to an oal of 2.25 - 2.26" for all my 5.56 rifles.  Using CCI#41, Wolf 223, and reclaimed military 30 carbine primers, I have seen no difference in functioning, primer expansion, or bullet impact (the furthest target shot at were 150yd away).
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#14]
When I started reloading I only used CCI #41 in all my loads. I picked up Wolf MSR due to the price a few years ago. They have worked very well for me. I worked up basic rounds for range time and it seems to work well with the same powder weights that the #41's liked.

24 grains of AA2230 with a 55gr Hornady SP

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have 10K CCI#41 primers and 5K Rem 7 1/2 primers and some loads like the Rem primers and some like the #41 primers, while I have never used the Wolf primers I have seen good results from them.

A little info on CCI#41 primers vs Wolf 223 & Wolf 5.56 in 5.56 AR but should apply to most all rounds.

Primer Test CCI #41 vs Wolf

Thank you very much!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top