Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2015 12:17:05 AM EDT
What is the size of the butler creek scope cap that I need to cover the front of the PVS-14?
Thank you
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:42:31 AM EDT
[#1]
09A (Eye) is the closest match, but will need some electrical tape or something to shim it to get a real friction fit.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're referring to the objective, I would think the BC #5 should work... perhaps with some minor fitting.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013R4CWQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Clear as mud, everyone listed a different size
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clear as mud, everyone listed a different size
View Quote

I think I'd go with UNV
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is the size of the butler creek scope cap that I need to cover the front of the PVS-14?
Thank you
View Quote

It was answered in the first post by Augee

<< 09A (Eye) is the closest match, but will need some electrical tape or something to shim it to get a real friction fit. >>

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#7]
So I ordered the Butler creek #14 eye  for my pvs14. It was on sale at amazon for $3.99.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I think some of the confusion is what end we're talking about putting the caps on.  

If you're looking for a reduced aperture/close focus device for the objective, a la the Hoplite, but not $50 a pop, this is the 09A Eye with a thin strip of electrical tape inside the cap so that it friction fits to the objective:

UNV is talking about a flip cap for the eye-piece to protect the ocular lens.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
09A for the DIY hoplite
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
9A for NEPVS-14-17
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think some of the confusion is what end we're talking about putting the caps on.  

If you're looking for a reduced aperture/close focus device for the objective, a la the Hoplite, but not $50 a pop, this is the 09A Eye with a thin strip of electrical tape inside the cap so that it friction fits to the objective:

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/B6597CC9-4DD0-4AF0-8788-FF1C2B4AFE7F_zpssuao6d6p.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/293C5CB2-181D-4F60-861A-E3F3D7EF5737_zps8qmzquvy.jpg

UNV is talking about a flip cap for the eye-piece to protect the ocular lens.  

~Augee
View Quote

So tell me about the 'day vision' holes in  those lens caps.

What size are they and do the cut enough light to be used in daylight? I've seen lens caps with holes in them but haven't been able to find anything online.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]
This should give you most of the basic information -

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/399269_DARC_DIY_NVG_focus_trick.html

I just drilled the holes with a 5mm drill bit and called it good.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This should give you most of the basic information -

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/399269_DARC_DIY_NVG_focus_trick.html

I just drilled the holes with a 5mm drill bit and called it good.  

~Augee
View Quote
Thanks, Augee. Now I know.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#14]
09a + a little electric tape worked out great.
Thanks NV crew!
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#15]
The best size of Butler Creek (B.C.) scope cover to use that does not require any fillers or taping to make it fit is the "07 Objective" size, B.C. item # 30070. It fits an objective size of 1.429" or 36.3mm, which so close to the acutal diameter of the objective focus ring, that it fits nice and snug w/o tape modifications. Furthermore, since it is an objective cover, it doesn't have the red "push to open lever" that an eyepiece cover has, meaning less of a chance of snagging the push lever on something or it breaking off.
The B.C. cover sits sugly on my PVS-14's and doesn't require any taping anywhere as it is the proper size. A 3/16" hole drilled in the center of the scope cover, after removing any burrs left over from drilling, is the best size hole for all around distance and close viewing.  Once the PVS14 is focused for a distance greater than 15-20 yards,  without the cover closed on the objective on the NVD, everything from about arms length & out (maybe closer depending on your arm length)  will be in almost perfect focus with the B.C. scope cover closed. Any fine focus adjustment to see absolutley sharp images up close can be done with a very small focus twist of the PVS14. However, I found I didn't need to fine adjust the focus with the cover closed as I could see the ground and objects at my feet clearly. Of course, as with all focus assist devices, closing the cover and viewing throught the small hole does reduce the light reaching the amplifier tube so a gain adjustment will have to be made if not using an IR illuminator to supplement the reduced lighting.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]
2nd page due to character restrictions:

One additional benefit I found to using the Butler Creek 07 size objective lens cover is that it fits better against my QD weapons mount ring I have on the PVS14 than the other commercial brand of focus assist cover. And, the cost is 1/10th the price of the least expensive commercially made model.

The commercial made models do allow for changing the hole size, as the one size drilled  hole of the B.C. cover does not allow switching to other sizes for different situations. It also does not have a scraficial lens built in as the commercial ones have. I have a commercial cover, which is very nicely made and the B.C. alternative. However,  I really like the $$ savings of the B.C. alternative. Hope this helps the NVG users looking for a solution to the PVS14 focus  quandry w/o having to resort to tape to make a cover fit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top