Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2002 8:38:57 PM EDT
Does anyone own one of these?  How does a stainless barrel hold up compared to a standard barrel?  I'm having a tough time deciding between this the V-Match and the Varminter.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't own either of these but here is my $.02

The V-Match and Varminter have free floated barrels. I don't believe he SS Rifle has a free floated barrel. The free floated barrel will result in greater accuracy.

The advantages of stainless steel are 1)it resistance to rust and corrosion and 2)it can be made with greater tolerances than a chrome lined barrel.

Chrome doesn't apply evenly so it is harder to get it to hold to strict tolerances.

A cromoly steel (non-chrome lined) can be made to the same tolerances as stainless steel but isn't as rust and corrosion resistant.

I hope this helps some!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Could I eventually get a free float hanguard for the stainless?

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you could.  Either a DCM service rifle tube, or any of the alumninum styles.
-Marksman
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess the other question that I have is this.  How hard is it to replace the front site with a bushmaster 3 rail gasblock?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I went and looked at the stainless again tonight and I think I have made up my mind to go with it.  Only question that I have is about the barrel.  It has a 1 in 9 twist.  What is the heaviest bullet that it will stabilize.  Would I be better off with a tighter twist?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Should be able to stabilize a 75grn with no problems
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I went and looked at the stainless again tonight and I think I have made up my mind to go with it.  Only question that I have is about the barrel.  It has a 1 in 9 twist.  What is the heaviest bullet that it will stabilize.  Would I be better off with a tighter twist?

62 grn is about optimum for a 1:9 twist.  (Although as pointed out by Sparky, you can shoot a heavier bullet.)

Now, I'm told the big time shooting folks, serious, target type shooters, often go with a 1:7 so they can shoot heavier bullets that will hold target better under windy conditions.

1:9 is about the best for general purposes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top