Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 3:18:22 PM EDT
I am interested in 5.56 rifle and since Hilary won't let me own an affordable car-15, I was contemplating a bullpup.

I read some very positive reviews in gun mags. It seems to suit my needs, easy in-out of a vehicle, eats dirt and suitable accuracy with the right optics. My local gun dealer advises that he has heard some real negative stuff.

Can anyone with Bullpup experience let me know what they think of the Bushmaster Bullpup.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I was enjoying handling one at a gunshow this weekend.  It was real nice.

Unfortunitly it was pre ban?  and the guy wanted $900 for it, which was just out of my range.   I see them for around $650 on Gunbroker.

I saw a Used but nice Bushi CAR for $6.75.  But the fella said he might go down to $650.

If you rather a CAR, I believe BBC Armory had Olympics for around 600.00 at the show.  I could give you the #

Rev Rob
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Stick with Bushy...   I'm startin' to get a yearnin' for one also but EOTech 552 is my next "investment"..   Heavy little suckers though...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Do a search on this board - you'll find that most are very pleased with theirs.

Others, like me, get toooooooooooooo carried away with modding them...  

P3
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do a search on this board - you'll find that most are very pleased with theirs.

Others, like me, get toooooooooooooo carried away with modding them...  

P3

Lets see a pic!  What mods are you talking about?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Considered one myself

let me know how it works out when you get one
-Chuck
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have thought about a BM Pup too, how do you all like them
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the chance to play around with one at a gun show.  I wasn't really impressed by the quality.  I found it to be crude in comparison to an AR-15, and the ergonomics/sights sucked.  The balance wasn't too good either, in my opinion.  But then I like a 20" HBAR.

I would welcome shooting reports on one, but in the meantime its not on my "Must Have" list.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I've noticed Bushmaster sells a different 10 round magazine for the M17s Bullpup than they do for the rest of their line. A straight steel one for the M17s vs. a curved aluminum magazine for the AR. Is the magwell on the M17s longer than a standard Ar or is there another difference?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been contemplating one for a long time, sucking up the comments on this board like a vacuum.

The only negatives I've heard here were:

1. Heavy trigger pull
2. Needs optics as peep sight is very poor
3. People seem to ask alot of questions about the barrel heating up.

Most really seemed to like them, sighting good accuracy and reliability, and one guy here posted the name of a guy here who tweaks the trigger pull.

I would have definitely gone for one till the AR-180B surfaced a few months ago, now I think about one of those quite a bit...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I've shot a couple, but never owned one so don't know the long-term of how the rifle pans out.

You'd definitely want a red-dot or a low-power scope, at least.  The iron sights are pathetic.  Accuracy is reasonable.

The triggers aren't great due to the action bar, but there are some upgrades available.

A lot of folks send theirs off to Kurt Wala for customization and are happy with the work.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Now Ya got me srarted!!  Anyone got pix?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I dunno.  I've never met anyone who has owned one, but I've heard that the people who own and shoot them like them.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted: Lets see a pic!  What mods are you talking about?

Had to go there, huh? Well, I'm too computer ignorant (and lazy) to post them here.

Contact me here:[email protected]. I gotta whole zipfile of 'em, but they're not the most updated.

Here is the link to my ongoing project. I only have the bolt handle left, and it'll probably be "done."

P3
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#16]
i hear the pre bans have a nasty habit of exploding. somone on here had pics of thier BMPUP explosion. the new ones are fixed, and if you have a pre ban, bushy will fix it for you, but i think they replace the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#17]
raf:  "The M17S is designed to accept any quality AR mag, e.g., USGI, Thermold, Orlite, etc.."  

The Beta-C drum might be a problem though...
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Beta-C drum might be a problem though...

- Nope. They FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

P3
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Re Beta-C drums:

Can you actually shoot it with a Beta-C attatched (& hit something, not just make it go bang)?  Seems like it would be rather awkward.  Maybe a center chest hold using a laser sight.  Those cheesy plastic 90rnd snail drums might physically fit also...
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#20]
The Bushmaster Bulpup shoots great.
I just can't get use to the idea of
having a .223 cartridge exploding
right next to my head.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Pistol caliber possibilities? Oooh...may be good.  Wonder what kind of mags it will require?

-Ed

Quoted:
Kurt's Kustom Firearms (with pics!):www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/1134.htm

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I've had mine for about a year or a little more. I like it. My impressions:

A little heavy but well balanced.
Thermold mags work best.
Shoots very well out of the box.
Absolutely needs a sighting mechanism.
Nice long barrel (21").
Much cleaner than an AR.
Some gas discharged under your face.

All in all I really like it. I put a Bushnell Holosight on mine. That works great. You do all the speed shooting you want at 50 yrds. Maybe farther if you want to but I got it mostly for close quarters. The balance of it for sweeping an area is great. Very compact shape and size. I also have a Steyr Aug. I'd probably get that back and use it more but I loaned it to my dad years ago for a ranch rifle, since it was converted over to left side cause he is a southy.

But the M17S is a great little weapon. Most of the people who dis them all the time had an experience with an early preban model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top