Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 12:25:19 PM EDT
I am getting a slight bulge after I seat the bullet, almost acts like the bullet is going in crooked. I have measured the bullet and it comes out to .452-.453 almost perfect for a .45 auto. I have adjusted and readjusted my dies as per Lee's manual, here are some pics.
http://i54.tinypic.com/oano69.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/j5i0ao.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/xgjrth.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/fz2byt.jpg

I am using a Lee pro 1000 with the carbide dies and shooting these out of a Glock 21.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine do that sometimes as well but they all chamber. Does it happen with just one or two brands of brass? Some cases are ever so slightly thicker than others leading to the lead bullet bulge. I am also assuming you are using an after marker barrel in your glock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
A little bulge is common.  I don't own a glock, but I thought the general consensus was that lead was a no-go in polygonal rifling?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The lead does okay in the factory barrel. It happens with all kinds of brass.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the saem thing w/ some .40 cal rounds.  I was told it was normal and was a sign of good neck tnesion.  Here is the thread.
Arfcom

As for why it won't chamber, I don't know.  If it is he correct diameter, maybe the length?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
It may be hitting on part of the feed ramp on the way.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like your bullets are not seated deep enough.  There should only be 1/16" or less of the top driving band showing with the SWC type bullets you are using.  Some "bulge" is normal, especially when using carbide sizing dies.  Try seating the bullets with the top of the driving band even with the mouth of the case.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like your bullets are not seated deep enough.  There should only be 1/16" or less of the top driving band showing with the SWC type bullets you are using.  Some "bulge" is normal, especially when using carbide sizing dies.  Try seating the bullets with the top of the driving band even with the mouth of the case.

This, if you reseat those bullets to where the shoulder is just barely past the case mouth you should be good.  The little dent from slightly crooked seating is a nothingburger.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
If you don't have a case gage you can pull the barrel and use it to check where the problem is.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
45 ACP bullets should be .451 in diameter.

think maybe you bought 45 colt rounds? .452 in diameter
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
That can happen if the seater plug doe not push the bullets in square. Try to match up your seater plug to best match the bullet type for evenly applied pressure

ETA poster above is right....451 bullet for 45 ACP.  I will add that G21's don't always get along with SWC bullets
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I am at the minimum legnth according to the Lee manual, should I go deeper? Lead bullets are supposed to be .001 larger.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

They look a bit long to me too.  Measuring never lies, but if SWC are too long the slide will try to jam the bullet into the barrels rifling.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am at the minimum legnth according to the Lee manual, should I go deeper? Lead bullets are supposed to be .001 larger.

I just went through this with lead bullets in 9mm and .45(both round nose).  I did several experiments and found that it was indeed the seating depth.  Seat them lower, but if your load is already at the upper end, you may want to rework it.   I assume that seating deeper will increase pressure.  

ETA...At least in the .45, seating deeper also increased accuracy.  Haven't re-shot the 9mm yet.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looks like your bullets are not seated deep enough.  There should only be 1/16" or less of the top driving band showing with the SWC type bullets you are using.

+1
I seat mine so there's just a hair -if not flush - of the driving band above the case.  I'd bet those are hitting the rifling.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I will push them in farther and see what happens. I will report back.....Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like your bullets are not seated deep enough.  There should only be 1/16" or less of the top driving band showing with the SWC type bullets you are using.

+1
I seat mine so there's just a hair -if not flush - of the driving band above the case.  I'd bet those are hitting the rifling.

This ^ is that a 200 grain ?/
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Measure the case mouth on your loaded rounds. It should be .470" +/- .001. You may have to increase the taper crimp, and I recommend using a separate crimp die, instead of using the seater/crimper die.

If those are are 200 gr LSWC's then the depth I seat mine to are 1.250".
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes they are 200 gr LSWC.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yes they are 200 gr LSWC.

These are exactly what I shoot (200 grain LSWC cast from hardball) out of a G21 with an LWD barrel.  I've never shot lead out of my stock barrel, but with LWD, I need to seat them almost to the point that the top driving band is nearly flush with the brass, probably just 1 or 2 32nds of an inch above, otherwise the driving band will run into the lands and either not chamber fully or not extract unless fired (as it gets shoved into the lands nice and tight).

The bulge is no big deal if they chamber, I just set the LFC die barely enough such that the rounds chamber freely.  Doing this, pulled bullets measure .452 after being crimped, which is about ideal for my .451 barrel.

Top Top