Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 12:21:09 PM EDT
It's been one of those things I have been meaning to get to, but never seem to get around to doing. I've been shooting off the tailgate of my truck or a piece of plywood and a couple of saw horses. Both of which suck. I have never used a range (Semi-rural Arizona! Gotta love it.), so it's always a use what ya got situation.
Anyway, here's what I whipped up the other evening in the garage.

It's made from a sheet of 3/4" plywood I cut in half to make 2 pieces of 4x4 ft.
I glued the two pieces together using carpenters glue and then screwed them together using deck screws around the perimeter to take the curl out and get 100% contact between the sheets, ending up with a 1.5" thick tabletop.  I put cut outs on both sides because I'm a southpaw and everyone else in the world isn't. It makes it wider, but it also makes it heavier, so I guess it's a good thing.  I added a set of folding table legs using 1/4" " carriage bolts , and three coats of urethane finish and VIOLA!, a pretty nice platform to shoot from.

I can’t believe I’ve spent all this time cussing the crap I was shooting off of when it only took me a bout 3 hours to knock this out, not counting the paint drying time.

Here's all the materials you'll need

1 - 3/4" plywood.
20 - 1 1/2" deck screws
1 - set folding table legs
8 - 1/4" x 3 1/2" carriage bolts
8 - 1/4" x 3 1/2" carriage bolts
16 -  1/4" flat washers
16 - 1/4" nuts
2 - 2x4"  one foot long. Use these to raise one set of legs from bottom of table so don't interfere with  the other set and fold up properly.
1- bottle Elmers yellow carpenter glue.
1- sheet course sand paper (60grit)
1 - sheet fine sand paper (220 grit)
1 - pint  polyurathane finish

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking table !! My club just build a new outdoor pistol range but we won't have money for the built in benches for another year or so. I may whip one of these up for myself !
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats pretty slick.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Now that I may very well copy.  Good looking table!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Where did you get the folding table legs?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Off of a folding table, maybe??  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Off of a folding table, maybe??  

Some of us don't want to canabalize a perfectly good folding table.  

Mike

PS.  Rip-Roaring:  I'm in Gold Canyon, AZ.  Where are you?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#7]
You can buy folding table leg sets from Woodworker's Warehouse, Harbor Freight or places like Rockler Wood Worker
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Home Depot. they were $20
Any hardware store will have them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
That is sexy!   I love the folding legs... my shooting table is just a pain in the ass to haul out with fixed legs.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice!  What was your total cost?

Seems like a good "bench" is something a lot of us have way down on our "to-do" list.  

A+ for motivation!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Good looking bench, but the damn thing looks backwards...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Nice!  What was your total cost?

Seems like a good "bench" is something a lot of us have way down on our "to-do" list.  

A+ for motivation!

I didn't keep tabs on all the prices, but a rough guesstimate is

$35 plywood
$20 table legs
$6 Polyurathane
$ 5 Nut-Bolts-washers
$1.50 foam paint brush

Total about $70
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]
That turned out great!

I've had the very same idea for quite a while. I've even had the folding legs for umm...3 or 4 yrs. ... just haven't gotten "around" to building the table.

Your's sure turned out nice. Congrats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top