Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 2:09:20 PM EDT
Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of getting my FFL. Mostly to do transfers. But I did have a few questions.

I understand with ATF that taking a receiver and building a fully function rifles constitutes an 07 license. What about half a job?

So someone who is a 01 FFL, can they build and sell AR uppers? are they manufacturing?

What about someone who takes a stripped lower and builds a completed lower. Is that manufacturing?

Can you point to the rules for either one? The FAQ talks about completed firearms.

Also, where would you recommend I look for distributors for parts, receivers, powder, ammunition, Etc.

I'm in the DFW area if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
No FFL needed for uppers.

MFG is generally adding value before a sale.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Taking an item and doing work on it then reselling it is a manufacturing activity. If the thing you are selling is a firearm, you need a manufacturer FFL.

Building up and selling AR uppers is a manufacturing activity, but AR uppers are not firearms so no problem there.

Building up and selling lowers does involve the firearm receiver though, so would require the mfg FFL even if you don't make complete functioning rifles.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Would building AR uppers be considered manufacturing under ITAR? (and requiring registration with the State Department)
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Would building AR uppers be considered manufacturing under ITAR? (and requiring registration with the State Department)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good question. I'm not sure, but I would imagine yes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Double post. Damn smart phone
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

CATEGORY I—FIREARMS, CLOSE ASSAULT WEAPONS AND COMBAT SHOTGUNS

(a) Nonautomatic and semi-automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive (12.7 mm).

(g) Barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) or complete breech mechanisms for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this category.

(h) Components, parts, accessories and attachmentsfor the articles in paragraphs (a) through (g) of this category
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
but as long as you transfer/sell the stripped lower, you can build it after as a gunsmith service without an 07.
edit for clarity:
as long as the lower is sold, they can have you assemble the parts in it for them for a fee, as you aren't manufacturing a firearm, you are working on one that you recently sold.
however assembling a lower "other" then selling it after would be construed as manufacture.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#8]
So as an 01 FFL you can only be in business to sell "accessories" or transfer firearms or "gunsmithing"

Which brings me the the second part of my barrage of questions.

Quoted:
Also, where would you recommend I look for distributors for parts, receivers, powder, ammunition, Etc.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So as an 01 FFL you can only be in business to sell "accessories" or transfer firearms or "gunsmithing"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

Whoever makes those items will provide you with a list of distributors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top