Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 9:53:51 AM EDT
As you can probably gather, I'm New to the world of reloading.  I received a hornady single stage press kit and hornady sonic cleaner for Christmas. I plan on reloading .223 and 9mm.  I ended up getting the Lee collet die set,  so my question is this.

Everything I read tells me that I should clean my brass before resizing.  But since I have a sonic cleaners, it cleans out the primer pockets as well, but my decapper is also my sizing die.

I don't really want to clean my brass, decap my primers then throw thebrass back into the sonic cleaner to clean the primers pockets and then dry and then go to reload

How bad is it to lube and resize a dirty case?
Will it really ruin my die to resize a dirty case?

How important is is to clean the primer pocket out .223 (only plinking)

And I'm not interested in getting a tumbler, because I know someone is going to suggest that.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]

You should at the very least wipe the case down good before you size them.
If you don't you risk scratching/damaging your sizing die.

You could purchase a Lee "universal decamping die".
You would remove the primers (no sizing), the clean the cases, THEN resize.

I would not use a liquid cleaning method (ultrasonic) with the primers in place.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You should at the very least wipe the case down good before you size them.
If you don't you risk scratching/damaging your sizing die.

You could purchase a Lee "universal decamping die".
You would remove the primers (no sizing), the clean the cases, THEN resize.

I would not use a liquid cleaning method (ultrasonic) with the primers in place.

Why would you not clean with spent primers still in?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Primer pockets only need to be cleaned when the carbon builds enough to interfere with primer seating.

The dies are yours, so you can treat them any way you want.  Dirty brass is also conducive to sticking.

If you intend to clean brass with any wet method, then deprime the brass first to prevent trapped water and whatever acid is in your cleaning solution.  A LEE universal decapping die is probably $10 or so, I haven't checked lately.  The RCBS universal decapping die is around $20; that's what I use.

Thank you, but does the dingy brass actually hurt the dies, or is that just a possibility, like getting a flat tire while driving.  I can happen, but its not going to happened most of the time, unless the conditions allow for it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For the reason Aero said, he types & hits send faster than me.
Also if you don't decap them right away (let them dry first) you can get corrosion that will
essentially cement them in the pocket. You'll try to decap them, and it will knock the bottom
of the primer out leaving the side still in the cup, or you'll pierce the primer without removing it.
Sometimes they will come out, sometimes not. They will also take longer to dry.

ETA: If you try to size the wet... well that won't work to well, nor will it be good for the longevity of your equipment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the reason Aero said, he types & hits send faster than me.
Also if you don't decap them right away (let them dry first) you can get corrosion that will
essentially cement them in the pocket. You'll try to decap them, and it will knock the bottom
of the primer out leaving the side still in the cup, or you'll pierce the primer without removing it.
Sometimes they will come out, sometimes not. They will also take longer to dry.

Yeah I'm typing on my phone, so a little slow and awkward.  Well that makes sense about cementing, I just planned to clean , dry in an oven, then decap/ resize, but it looks like the decap/resizing die will not suit my needs.  Well here goes more money and more time.  So then my other option is resize and decapitate, dirty brass.  How detrimental is actually.  If I use enough
[/list]se enough lube
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy the $10 Lee Universal Decapping die.

Decap your brass, then clean it, then size it.

That is what I do.  It does not take that much more time and it is another time you get to look at your brass to inspect it for issues.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Loaded 1000's of rounds on a single stage press and a few on a progressive and I never clean my brass before I resize it. I have had to wash out my lube pad a few times since it gets dirty after many 1000 pieces are rolled on it. The biggest mess I have ever had on my lube pad was from 1000 223 cases I purchased that had been tumbled in walnut before they were sold. I had walnut stuck all over the lube pad when I was done. But that is what the pad is for, it not only lubes the cases but it also pulls things like media off the cases before resizing. I would say that even if you are not using a lube pad as long as the brass isn't a total mess you are not going to have a problem. Clean brass is not going to attract and hold grit, rocks or other material, its mostly going to have carbon and powder residue from firing. The grit and crap is usually inside the case and tends to fall out when handled. That is one problem I see with the spray lubes is the cases get all nice and lubed up and then anything inside the case that falls out has a tendency to get stuck to the case where it can cause scratches.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the replies.

Well I think I might just have to get that de-primer die.

I thought I needed the primer pockets cleaned, not because I load precision ammo, but I have a S-ton of military brass.  and I was told that I have to clean them out if I'm swaging them to take the crimp out.

Where is a good place to get the decapping die for a good price?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess google is my friend.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Links, top of the page.

Yeah I saw that but I still need to click on each link, just thought it would have been easier to get a shout out on where people have gotten theirs.  Cabelas is out of stock for something like $12
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
and I was told that I have to clean them out if I'm swaging them to take the crimp out.

Of the 10-15,000 pieces of LC 5.56 brass I've processed, every single piece of brass has been swaged to remove the crimp, and I've never cleaned a primer pocket, before, during or after swaging.

Good to know.
Are you using the RCBS pocket swager die?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Links, top of the page.

Yeah I saw that but I still need to click on each link, just thought it would have been easier to get a shout out on where people have gotten theirs.  Cabelas is out of stock for something like $12

Grafs

Midway
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know where you are in WA, but Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsmans Warehouse) often times has them in stock...

I do the same an many others, run dirty brass through the depriming die to remove primers, and then tumble in a rotary with stainless.

It does clean the primer pockets quite well, but if there is any actual benefit other than eliminating a source of corrosion when tumbling in a liquid medium, I haven't seen it...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#23]
For rifle rounds, I wash my brass in soap and water before any work, which gets rid of most of the crud which would otherwise just dirty up the dies, my press, my hands, and my reloading station.  Then I size, then tumble.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
and I was told that I have to clean them out if I'm swaging them to take the crimp out.

Of the 10-15,000 pieces of LC 5.56 brass I've processed, every single piece of brass has been swaged to remove the crimp, and I've never cleaned a primer pocket, before, during or after swaging.

Good to know.
Are you using the RCBS pocket swager die?

Dillon Super Swage, its at least 50 times faster than the RCBS

I saw that too, but the price turned me off on it, but 50 times better for 3 times the price doesn't sound bad.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For rifle rounds, I wash my brass in soap and water before any work, which gets rid of most of the crud which would otherwise just dirty up the dies, my press, my hands, and my reloading station.  Then I size, then tumble.

Are you Decapping before washing?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Links, top of the page.

Yeah I saw that but I still need to click on each link, just thought it would have been easier to get a shout out on where people have gotten theirs.  Cabala's is out of stock for something like $12

Trying to teach you how to do your own searches. I think comparing prices of the different sites a good thing to know. Maybe not.

If you want to be hand fed , go up to Help to Find / Where to Find Components & Promotion Codes Go Here - thread.

If you make finding a tool or component a thread, the thread will get locked.

I appreciate the help that people are giving me, however I just wanted to know a quick answer and dirty answer.  
Sorry I'm not trying to turn this into a finding tool thread.
I just need some opinions on the best way for me to prep my brass for reloading with the setup I have.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top