Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2002 8:57:07 AM EDT
I need a shotgun for some upland bird hunting and to shoot up the occasional clay pigeon.  Money is  a big factor.  Since this would probably be a few months before i purchase, i would have to save up for it.  What are my options under $1k, under $1200 and under $1500?  ALso is a 12 guage too big for pheasants,quail,grouse or is it ok with shorter shells?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#2]
For trapshooting a pump or single shot will do just fine, but for sporting clays and skeetshooting an over/under or an autoloader is a big advantage to break them doubles. I use a Remington 1100 for field and skeet shooting, swapping between a 26" skeet choke target bead barrel and a 28" vent rib mod choke barrel.

The Beretta 390 and Browning Citori G_F mentioned are excellent choices too.

I don't think a 12 ga. is too big for any upland bird hunting. Dove are unbelievably tough little critters, and with a 12 ga you get a few more pellets and slightly higher velocity than a 20 ga. But I know guys who use a 20 ga with good success. I know an older gentleman who uses a .410 for dove hunting, but he's an excellent wingshooter. But the downside is that he can only pick close in shots, whereas I can reach out some distance with a 12 ga.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For trapshooting a pump or single shot will do just fine, but for sporting clays and skeetshooting an over/under or an autoloader is a big advantage to break them doubles. I use a Remington 1100 for field and skeet shooting, swapping between a 26" skeet choke target bead barrel and a 28" vent rib mod choke barrel.

The Beretta 390 and Browning Citori G_F mentioned are excellent choices too.

I don't think a 12 ga. is too big for any upland bird hunting. Dove are unbelievably tough little critters, and with a 12 ga you get a few more pellets and slightly higher velocity than a 20 ga. But I know guys who use a 20 ga with good success. I know an older gentleman who uses a .410 for dove hunting, but he's an excellent wingshooter. But the downside is that he can only pick close in shots, whereas I can reach out some distance with a 12 ga.

I forgot to mention I was looking for an over an under and not a semi like the 1100 or a pump like the 870
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can't go wrong with the Browning Citori or Ruger Red Label. I have about ten Citoris and not a single one have ever let me down in about ten years.

How much is a citori going to run?  Are the chokes able to be removed and changed?  Does it come with all the chokes available for it?  Choke remover tool?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
The Citoris are great - One can be had for around $1000 if you look around. They gor for about $1200 new. I also have a Winchester 101 O/U that I love too. Someday im going to buy a Ruger Red Label.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top