Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2018 9:45:21 AM EDT
Anyone had one done for a full size uzi? What’s your opinion?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I would stay far, far away from any trigger he touched.

He likes to polish through heat treatment, causing weapons to malfunction or go FA. Do some searches, haven't heard his name in quite some time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#2]
The Uzi really isn't the sort of design that would lend it's self to "trigger jobs"....by Bill Springfield or anyone else for that matter

anything that you do to the setup to lessen the trigger pull, or reduce travel, is going to greatly increase the risk of the striker not being caught by the sear....even a few thousandths of extra top-cover clearance or minor wear causing a change in the sear contact surface geometry can cause that issue....

Leave it alone would be my recommendation
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to know Bill personally and I wouldn’t send him a trigger
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Had him do some RRA triggers for me in the past and they never worked correctly....looking at the work, appeard to be some spot welding and then dressing was done as part of the "trigger job"

IMO, totally messed up the triggers...ended up tossing one in the trash, as I did not trust it one bit

Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I’m lucky but he’s done my mini uzi, mp5k clone, 3 ARs, 1911 and m&p 9 and all have been excellent.  No malfunctions in thousands of rounds (1911 is still fairly new so I’ll hold off judgement on that one).  The uzi (semi auto sbr) was a huge difference and I recommend it.  Great trigger pull now and I don’t regret it.  You see bad stuff about some of his work but lots of people are happy with him. He’s always answered the phone when I call and has excellent turn around.  Arfcom has never been kind about his work.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe I’m lucky but he’s done my mini uzi, mp5k clone, 3 ARs, 1911 and m&p 9 and all have been excellent.  No malfunctions in thousands of rounds (1911 is still fairly new so I’ll hold off judgement on that one).  The uzi (semi auto sbr) was a huge difference and I recommend it.  Great trigger pull now and I don’t regret it.  You see bad stuff about some of his work but lots of people are happy with him. He’s always answered the phone when I call and has excellent turn around.  Arfcom has never been kind about his work.
View Quote
PM sent. How many rounds you got through the uzi?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotta love when tons of replies say don't do it, it's a bad idea, etc......then ONE guy says he's happy and that makes it all okay!!!  

OP, there's a reason people are saying don't do it.  If you refuse to acknowledge that, please be sure and post lots of pics of the carnage when it's done.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gotta love when tons of replies say don't do it, it's a bad idea, etc......then ONE guy says he's happy and that makes it all okay!!!  

OP, there's a reason people are saying don't do it.  If you refuse to acknowledge that, please be sure and post lots of pics of the carnage when it's done.
View Quote
There are plenty of people that are happy with his work.  I have zero problems with Bill’s work.  If you have no experience with his him or his trigger jobs maybe you shouldn’t add to this thread.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#9]
He did a trigger for me some time ago, maybe 15 years, I don't recall for sure. It wasn't dependable.  Doubled on me a couple different times.  I got rid of it. If it was me I'd look elsewhere.

* to clarify he did an AR15 trigger for me not an Uzi.  Also I don't know if it's the same guy, they could potentially be two different guys.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#11]
There's better options for AR's, maybe not for a UZI though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There are plenty of people that are happy with his work.  I have zero problems with Bill’s work.  If you have no experience with his him or his trigger jobs maybe you shouldn’t add to this thread.
View Quote
I sure don't think I'd say "plenty."  Poke your nose over to the HK Forum some time and search "Springfield."  It's enough to scare you.  He cuts springs seemingly at random, changes sear angles, and "polishes" through the hardening.

He ruined a Sig Mosquito and an AR15 trigger for me.  the Sig "light struck" 50% of the time.  It never did run right again, and I ended up getting rid of it.

My AR trigger experience matches the previous poster's: big blob spot welded onto the bottom of the trigger and then roughly filed off "to remove take up."  The safety wouldn't fit back into the opening.  The negative sear angle had been removed.  Threw the hammer and trigger away.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok I'm back. Lemme jump in here, but it's the interwebs hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

So what about the heat treatment is bad? broken parts because they become so hard they're brittle? I took a look at the uzi set up enough that I don't see how it'd be difficult unless I'm missing something.

....and maybe I am. Seriously. It seems to be about 50/50 with him and I'm curious as to how much of that is full size UZI Model B.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Bill lives local to me and I've been to his house twice for trigger jobs. One was an AR-15 and the other was a Kel Tec SU-16C.
The SU-16C he did a good job on and it was much improved. The AR-15 came out absurdly light. So light that if I do anything more than put my finger *near* the trigger it fires. I replaced that trigger.

Would I go back to him? Probably not. He was a nice guy, and each time he had a huge stack of boxes inside his front door of triggers for him to work for customers, so he obviously is making some people happy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
....but maybe I *DO* have experience.  Maybe if you don't know what I do and don't have experience with, it would be ideal to not assume things.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Head over to the FAL Files, strap yerself in, and ask about his "work".
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
So if the guy for work done and is happy with it he shouldn't post on a thread asking for input?

Regardless of your experiences (or experience for that matter), your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bill lives local to me and I've been to his house twice for trigger jobs. One was an AR-15 and the other was a Kel Tec SU-16C.
The SU-16C he did a good job on and it was much improved. The AR-15 came out absurdly light. So light that if I do anything more than put my finger *near* the trigger it fires. I replaced that trigger.

Would I go back to him? Probably not. He was a nice guy, and each time he had a huge stack of boxes inside his front door of triggers for him to work for customers, so he obviously is making some people happy.
View Quote
Yeah, very cool guns on the racks in his basement, first time I was exposed to some HK rifles and such
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#19]
In all honestly I’ve moved on to better trigger options for my ARs and some of that reasoning was horror stories about his triggers.  I still stand by what I said.  My triggers have been 100% dependable and much improved on the guns I’ve had him do.  The uzi’s trigger pull is still at 8lbs which sounds bad but is way better than stock as I compare it to my others.  Same goes for my mp5k.  If they ever go crap on me or double, I’ll be the first to post about it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#20]
To be fair Bill Springfield did what his cheapskate customers asked him to do. It's not a new discovery that factory triggers can't be tuned safely.

Most AR-15 drivers discovered this in the late 1980's. Buy an aftermarket trigger and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#21]
UZI trigger job is an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
To be fair Bill Springfield did what his cheapskate customers asked him to do. It's not a new discovery that factory triggers can't be tuned safely.

Most AR-15 drivers discovered this in the late 1980's. Buy an aftermarket trigger and be done with it.
View Quote
I have to disagree with the statement, cheapskate customers....for me, just getting into the AR's many years back, he advertised tuning triggers and at the time, the selection of triggers that we enjoy today was not there.  So me being a noob back then, I tried his trigger tuning.

Now, as I mentioned in my post above, sent triggers to him, based on what he advertised.  If I recall, the price was not cheap, but looking back now, and considering you can get a LaRue MBT today for $87, I would not even think of sending any AR trigger out for tuning.

Looking at how he tuned the triggers, with spot welding, changing sear angles and using hardening, all of these are no-no's in the trigger world.

Link Posted: 10/19/2018 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Is he still drinking?

He turned my GSG-5 trigger group into scrap.
There's a reason he's 50% the cost of gunsmiths with good reputations.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
NOPE
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#25]
He did a trigger for me on an uzi and it has worked great for at least 3,000 rounds. All full auto.

He did the work several years ago so I don't know if things have changed with him.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He did a trigger for me on an uzi and it has worked great for at least 3,000 rounds. All full auto.

He did the work several years ago so I don't know if things have changed with him.
View Quote
Was the gun full-auto before you sent it in?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Pass. I sent him a trigger that worked, did not work when I got it back (fired again when resetting trigger), and got an email response that my lower was out of spec. I would just buy an aftermarket uzi trigger if there are any.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Was the gun full-auto before you sent it in?
View Quote
Yes registered receiver imi. We put 600 rounds through it Wednesday with no problem
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
How is the length of pull? Did he drastically reduce it? Uzi has always had a horribly long trigger pull.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I had Bill do a trigger on a Sig 553 SBR for me and he did an amazing job. It's easily my favorite gun and has been 100% reliable for 6 years. I'm actually sending in a SIG 556, and UZI to him tomorrow. Did the OP send in his UZI and how'd it turnout? I'd point out as well that he does all the tuned triggers for HKParts as well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:46:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There are plenty of people that are happy with his work.  I have zero problems with Bill's work.  If you have no experience with his him or his trigger jobs maybe you shouldn't add to this thread.
View Quote
I've experienced one of his AR15 trigger jobs. It quickly needed a new disconnector.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Meh...I've had one of his AR triggers for many years now and it's always worked great. Is it better than a G or any other custom trigger..no. It does exactly what it's supposed to and feels worlds better than the stock one. These threads always have the same turnout.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top