Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2010 2:28:34 PM EDT
Ok, I have been reading several pages and still not able to find my answer.  I am looking to camo two ar’s.  I want something that is going to work on both the metal and plastic parts (and optics).  I have a toaster oven, but the barrel will not fit in it.  I thought about Teflon/Moly, but was told it would not work on the plastic parts since it requires heat to set in.  Is Duracoat my only option?  I use Powder Blast to clean my weapons and thought it would take Duracoat off.  I looked at Cerakote and Alumahyde II, but seems like I am trading off durability with some of these products.  Krylon is out.  I am using the basic colors tan, brown, black , and OD.  So what are my options?  Should I try using different paints on different parts?  Just seems rather confusing.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I used Norrell's on my C-1 stock and had no issues with it in the oven.   I hung it and made sure it was not touching any metal other than the wire hanger.  Pistol grip did fine as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 2:51:58 AM EDT
[#2]
if you can bake plastics, then what about optics?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
if you can bake plastics, then what about optics?

I was not brave enough to put my NF in the oven.  I used KG aircure on it and it has done pretty good.  I had some trouble getting it to stick at first.  I ended up dusting it with about 20 coats.  AFter each coat I would let it dry for an hour.  I then took a dry paper towel and wiped it down before putting the next coat on.  The theory was that the towel would remove any paint that was not adhering well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Break Free's Powder Blast will not remove Duracoat, as long as you follow directions and prep correctly.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I baked a tasco scope once after I painted it with GunKote to see if optics could handle it and things didn't work out so favorably.  Whether or not a high end scope could be done I don't know, and don't have the balls to try myself.  My reasoning was that if the Tasco could take it, the SS10x42 and NF could take it, but the tasco died lol.. so I stopped baking scopes.  The optics etc.. still worked, the elevation/windage still worked, but the eyepeices were shot, and most O-rings I could get to were shot, aswell as the magnification zoom ring.  I use alumahyde II on scopes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Is norrels the same as KG?
Also i am reading that I should sandblast the upper and lower prior to painting.  The lower is a spikes and has that epoxy finish and the upper has more of a park finish.  What type of media and grit?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top