Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:51:41 PM EDT
I sure this has been beaten to death...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
no South African, no Indian, no Pakistani...

stick to Argentine, Portuguese, Lake city, even Wolf is good...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used South Aferican without a problem. Have not found a Ammo this gun wont eat.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
American Eagle (Federal 150 gr. ball) shoots superb (for accuracy) in my JLD.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have used South Aferican without a problem. Have not found a Ammo this gun wont eat.

im not gona type it out again...

south african comes in like 5 diff military runs/batches, some have a tar base, others dont...some will fu%k your g3s up, others wont.... dont take the chance, stick with other ammo types, the ones i listed....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget Aussie - if you can find it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don't forget Aussie - if you can find it.

$0.50 a round here locally....yes they rape us on prices...I know hahaha
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes , I know this has been beaten to death, but it is a constantly changing situation
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

im not gona type it out again...

south african comes in like 5 diff military runs/batches, some have a tar base, others dont...some will fu%k your g3s up, others wont.... dont take the chance, stick with other ammo types, the ones i listed....

Man, I ordered 980 rds. from Aim and its sitting here.  My V51P is on its way.  How can I tell if I got the okay kind?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used Aussie, Port, Lake City, Santa Barbara (Spain), and FN.  No problems with any of these.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 South African

-1 Indian & Pakistani

All other surplus should be fine. The PTR like the HK is very forgiving.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Based on my experiences, I would choose paki over argy any day.  Still have yet to hear or read of anyone having any problems with functioning when using paki ammo  There has been some argy out on the market recently that is marginal ammo at best due to really poor storage conditions.  The 70's dated OFV indian on bandoleers is pretty good stuff.  Not sure if Century has any of that left though.

I would only plan on shooting SA through a FAL, M1A, or bolt gun; too many people have run into problems when using it in hk91 and AR10 variants.

90's dated indian = run away.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have a PTR-91 but have fired several thousand South African .308 through my DSA FAL.  
South African .308 comes is 140 round, sealed battlepacks.  It's fine ammo IMHO.  Check out the Ammunition Forum on FNFAL.com, it has a very good repution.

My $0.02 worth,

Spambo
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
This tar substance for sealer problem has to be used only on certain batchs of South African ammo.  I realize it has been noted by a lot of people here but the SA 308 I have hasn't caused me any trouble in both HK or HK clones. It has to vary depending on the lot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Just bought 2,000 rounds of SA. No problem at all in my JLD.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I don't have a PTR-91 but have fired several thousand South African .308 through my DSA FAL.  
South African .308 comes is 140 round, sealed battlepacks.  It's fine ammo IMHO.  Check out the Ammunition Forum on FNFAL.com, it has a very good repution.

My $0.02 worth,

Spambo

this was in a FAL rifle, not a PTR/G3 type...TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

and for those of you who shot "59283572983572 rounds" of SA though a PTR/g3 without a problem, awesome...but be WARNED, that it wont always be like that...thats LUCK.  doesnt anyone listen anymore?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]
There are different batches of both the South African
and the Argentine surplus ammo.

I bought a bad batch of Argentine last summer.

Of 800 rounds of it ,20 did not fire with deeply dented
primers.
Several more seemed to have a larger kick ,and a few
I don't think even had enough power to make it to a
100 yard target.
Groups were huge with some of these .
The rifle looked like black powder was used in the
cartridges after only a few rounds.

I've seen SA do the same (not as bad).I believe it  is a cheap  pine-tar
sealent that is to blame for the mess.

When you buy surplus ,you take a chance.

I hope more consistantly good ammo comes up soon ,
I'm running almost into my emergency supply of Port .
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#17]
OK what about the British ammo made by India dated 1986? This came straight from England to the US or it came from India into the US?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
OK what about the British ammo made by India dated 1986? This came straight from England to the US or it came from India into the US?

made by India is made by India..expect the shittiest ammo ever....and its DANGEROUS, just as Paki is...ive seen some nasty results
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Someone please provide one link or anecdote of Paki being dangerous ammo.  Should just let it go, but just because Pakistan is located in the third world doesn't mean it can't produce quality ammo.  Hell, they have produced nukes.  I could be wrong, but I think that takes a little bit more knowledge and skill than making ammo for small arms.

According to what I have gathered over at FALfiles, the 90's dated indian on the market should never have been sold as ammunition.  The Indians sold this stuff off as scrap, and is not what the Indians issue to their military.  The 70's dated stuff is military issue quality ammo that may have not seen the most ideal storage conditions.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top