Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2013 8:05:19 PM EDT
So I'm looking for something small, comfortable, and lightweight to add 2 or 3 mag pouches to and maybe a multi-tool. Is there anything better than this?

Tactical Tailor Mini MAV

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is another option.

Eagle Chest Rig M4
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd take a look at shellbacks go time for the inexpensive route

This setup holds 2 rigle mag pouches and 2 pistol mag pouches for pistol mags or multitools:
Go Time Rig

This one has 3 rifle mag pouches across. If your multitool has a pouch, you can add it to the molle in front of the mag pouches:
Go Time Triple Mag

Note that these are sub $70 rigs that have the pouches sewn into the panel. Also, the harness goes around the back of your neck/shoulders, instead of over your shoulder and across your back.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is another option.

Eagle Chest Rig M4
View Quote

I'd snag that
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Ebay for Chinese ak rigs. $16 to you door
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]
SKD Tactical's PIG UCR is a great set-up!
UCR
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd snag that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is another option.

Eagle Chest Rig M4

I'd snag that

I have one, it's excellent for the price.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. I like that Eagle rig, I'll check into it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Leaves you some PASL space and money to add an IFAK and utility pouch or pistol mag pouches
Quoted:
I like this

It looks good but is it 2x as good as the old school eagle rig?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#10]
HSGI AO chest rig.

Also, Tactical Tailor is great.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is another option.

Eagle Chest Rig M4

I'd snag that

How is the magazine retention? I doesn’t look like it comes with bungees from the picture.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't need something with mag pouches. I'm spoiled to the Esstac KYWI and Kydex mag holsters.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't need something with mag pouches. I'm spoiled to the Esstac KYWI and Kydex mag holsters.
View Quote

Here is what I would use if I already wasn't already using the M4/AK version (it's the same rig, but with sewn in mag pouches that can handle up to four 30rnd AR or AK mags).

SOE PALS Micro Rig
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Personally, I think the small chest rigs are such a PITA to don that they are almost not worth it, given that one might need them in a hurry.  If you are pressed for time, perhaps a shoulder-slung rig might be a lot quicker to don, although such might be a little tiresome after some time.  How long to you really plan to wear this thing?
View Quote

You must be doing something wrong. Mine can be on and ready to rock in seconds.

OP, I use The Mini MAV and couldn't be happier. On it I have a TT 3-mag pouch, a single, and a TT/MSM Patch Panel. Compliments my belt very well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong; I like TT stuff.  I have more of it than I could ever use, but bought very cheap

Try this test:  Place your Mini MAV as you like and don it right after your alarm clock rings in the middle of the night, and in total darkness.  Pretend it's PANIC TIME.  Now, do the same thing with a shoulder-slung rig carrying the same load, maybe like the rig I suggested above.  I understand that in a serious threat situation, one would very seldom remove one's rig, but such things happen.  

In my personal experience, the small shoulder-slung rig is WAY faster to grab and don than the clumsy dual shoulder-strap rigs.  Not as comfortable after a few hours, but the shoulder-slung rig has alternatives for wearing it that diminish the difference in comfort factor between it and its' brother with more straps.

Try the test, and see what you think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I think the small chest rigs are such a PITA to don that they are almost not worth it, given that one might need them in a hurry.  If you are pressed for time, perhaps a shoulder-slung rig might be a lot quicker to don, although such might be a little tiresome after some time.  How long to you really plan to wear this thing?

OP, I use The Mini MAV and couldn't be happier. On it I have a TT 3-mag pouch, a single, and a TT/MSM Patch Panel. Compliments my belt very well.

Don't get me wrong; I like TT stuff.  I have more of it than I could ever use, but bought very cheap

Try this test:  Place your Mini MAV as you like and don it right after your alarm clock rings in the middle of the night, and in total darkness.  Pretend it's PANIC TIME.  Now, do the same thing with a shoulder-slung rig carrying the same load, maybe like the rig I suggested above.  I understand that in a serious threat situation, one would very seldom remove one's rig, but such things happen.  

In my personal experience, the small shoulder-slung rig is WAY faster to grab and don than the clumsy dual shoulder-strap rigs.  Not as comfortable after a few hours, but the shoulder-slung rig has alternatives for wearing it that diminish the difference in comfort factor between it and its' brother with more straps.

I agree with you raf...but most micro chest rigs (at least those that have a non-padded X-back style shoulder straps...like the OSOE I wear) can be used in the same fashion as a bandolier.

Just wanted to make the OP aware of that dual use option...
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Does SKD still make that Universal rig?  I've got one of them and it's a fantastic basic chest rig.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Valid point as to setting up the small rig with a single strap, and also having options.  As you say, it depends on not having padded shoulder straps, and most really small rigs don't need such.  Good post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you raf...but most micro chest rigs (at least those that have a non-padded X-back style shoulder straps...like the OSOE I wear) can be used in the same fashion as a bandolier.

Just wanted to make the OP aware of that dual use option...

Valid point as to setting up the small rig with a single strap, and also having options.  As you say, it depends on not having padded shoulder straps, and most really small rigs don't need such.  Good post.

Shown as a bandoleer

Tighten up the strap and it's a chest rig
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Ya'll have been extremely helpful! I'm just not fond of the larger chest rigs and they make me feel too restricted. I can get most of my gear that I need to carry on my ranger belt. I just need a small chest rig for 2 mag pouches and possible a fixed blade knife and/or multitool. The advise here has been great and I'm going to stew on it a few more days. Right now its between the Tactical Tailor MAV and the Eagle M4.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 3:30:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ya'll have been extremely helpful! I'm just not fond of the larger chest rigs and they make me feel too restricted. I can get most of my gear that I need to carry on my ranger belt. I just need a small chest rig for 2 mag pouches and possible a fixed blade knife and/or multitool. The advise here has been great and I'm going to stew on it a few more days. Right now its between the Tactical Tailor MAV and the Eagle M4.
View Quote

Happy to help! You are exercising good judgement going with a quality manufacturer such as TT or Eagle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:07:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a TT Mini-MAV and I absolutely love it.  I put 3 HSGI Taco's on it along with two pistol mag pouches.  It is small enough to not be bulky or overly heavy and the small buckles don't get in the way when shouldering a rifle.   TT has a new one in the Fight Light series that is a little different than the original but I don't see it on their sight.  I was down at the retail store and checked them out last Friday, they look nice but a bit bulkier than the original.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here is what I would use if I already wasn't already using the M4/AK version (it's the same rig, but with sewn in mag pouches that can handle up to four 30rnd AR or AK mags).

SOE PALS Micro Rig
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOE PALS Micro Rig

+1 for this.

OSOE PALS Micro Rig (Coyote)
OSOE Slim Padded H-Harness (Coyote)
Blue Force Gear Tourniquet NOW! Strap (Coyote)
SOFT-T Tourniquet
Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit NOW! Pouch (Coyote)
2x Emdom USA M4 Magazine Pouch (Coyote)
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top