Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/27/2014 9:49:31 AM EDT
Well I am looking to carry a multitool other then just a pocket knife. I have a Leatherman MUT right now. I like the style but its a little to big overall. I am an Electrician so I want something with a good knife, needle nose pliers and screw driver bits. Also something with a good pocket clip that wont break or slip out of my pocket. I lost a Benchmade that way.
I tried a leatherman skeletool and the pliers and cutters are shit. Ideas?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I was going to suggest a Skeletool, since I love mine, but I guess that's out.

My other multitool is a Gerber tool with a Nite-Ize locking pocket clip attached to it.

Sounds more like you want another Leatherman, with the replaceable cutting-bits in the pliers. You're probably better off perusing what's currently available, then attaching a pocket clip to it yourself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I was going to suggest a Skeletool, since I love mine, but I guess that's out.

My other multitool is a Gerber tool with a Nite-Ize locking pocket clip attached to it.

Sounds more like you want another Leatherman, with the replaceable cutting-bits in the pliers. You're probably better off perusing what's currently available, then attaching a pocket clip to it yourself.
View Quote

Well the skepetool was alright but the cutters are not replaceable and it struggled cutting just one 14 Gauge wire and some 14-2 romex does not even fit in the cutters. My MUT is perfect but it is just to bulky for the job inside my pocket.
I cant wear a sheath on my pants because I throw a tool belt on and it would get in the way.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well the skepetool was alright but the cutters are not replaceable and it struggled cutting just one 14 Gauge wire and some 14-2 romex does not even fit in the cutters. My MUT is perfect but it is just to bulky for the job inside my pocket.
I cant wear a sheath on my pants because I throw a tool belt on and it would get in the way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not not just put it on your belt then.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because sometimes when your running home runs or crawling though an attic you dont want your belt on. And sticking strippers and pliers in your pocket tend to fall out. So something with a clip in my pocket is Ideal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have any experience with it but I have been eyeing up Victorinox's multitool Link
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
SOG has a couple tools that has a lot of what you're looking for.  A friend of mine bought one purely because it had a punchdown tool built into it.  Also, the SOGs are 'customizable' as well.  You can buy other tools and swap them out.  They have very strong pliers and cutters.  Although, they are large tools, and I don't think I've ever seen one with a pocket clip.

(I'm a Leatherman man, but have a Powerlock in my collection.)

Depending on how handy you are, there are people out there that have done some crazy mods on the various multi-tools.  I've seen MUTs with scissors, all kinds of bit drivers added in, pocket clips made, etc.

Oh, the new Leatherman OHT has the replaceable wire cutters.  It might be a bit slimmer than a MUT, although I don't see a pocket clip on it either.  I think it's a cool tool cause it's supposed to be accessible and operatable with one hand.  Which, comes in handy in a situation like yours in a tight space.

Oh, and one more suggestion: Your MUT does have a carabiner on it.  Not perfect, but you could clip it to a belt loop when you go crawling in somewhere...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, one more suggestion, and maybe the best one I have for you: Multitasker Series 3 has a great bit driver that takes any 1/4" bit. Excellent pliers with replaceable cutters. And...it has a pocket clip.  And, of course, it has tools for your AR15.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Ive been carrying a Wave with pocket clip lately.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SOG has a couple tools that has a lot of what you're looking for.  A friend of mine bought one purely because it had a punchdown tool built into it.  Also, the SOGs are 'customizable' as well.  You can buy other tools and swap them out.  They have very strong pliers and cutters.  Although, they are large tools, and I don't think I've ever seen one with a pocket clip.

(I'm a Leatherman man, but have a Powerlock in my collection.)

Depending on how handy you are, there are people out there that have done some crazy mods on the various multi-tools.  I've seen MUTs with scissors, all kinds of bit drivers added in, pocket clips made, etc.

Oh, the new Leatherman OHT has the replaceable wire cutters.  It might be a bit slimmer than a MUT, although I don't see a pocket clip on it either.  I think it's a cool tool cause it's supposed to be accessible and operatable with one hand.  Which, comes in handy in a situation like yours in a tight space.

Oh, and one more suggestion: Your MUT does have a carabiner on it.  Not perfect, but you could clip it to a belt loop when you go crawling in somewhere...
View Quote

I ordered the leatherman oht to give it a try but I am still looking at options.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top