Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 1:37:13 PM EDT
I am looking for a double action revolver in 22 cal. I'd like to get one with capacity of 8 or more rounds and that leaves me with three options I know of: H&R--$125, Taurus 94--$275, or Smith and Wesson 617/317--$425. Of course I am looking for the best revovlver for the money and am leaning towards a Taurus 94 with 5 in. barrel. Anyone have experience with these three models? Is there another brand I am missing?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the S&W 617 and will never part with it.

I consider it more of a SHTF gun than larger caliber handguns I own, it's accuracy and handling characteristics are superb and it's thoroughbred can not be denied. It will make a great addition to your inventory.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am looking for a double action revolver in 22 cal. I'd like to get one with capacity of 8 or more rounds and that leaves me with three options I know of: H&R--$125, Taurus 94--$275, or Smith and Wesson 617/317--$425. Of course I am looking for the best revovlver for the money and am leaning towards a Taurus 94 with 5 in. barrel. Anyone have experience with these three models? Is there another brand I am missing?

Best revolver, not necessarily the cheapest, is a Smith model 17 or 617 (stainless)...the older the better.  Cost now reflects the care with which the oldies were assembled and finished. No comparison with any Taurus, and completely out of the H&R league.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an old S&W K22 Masterpiece, 6" barrel. Shoots great, super accurate. Only a six shot, but if you can find an excellent for the price of a new Taurus, it is a better gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The S&W is like a Cadillac compared to the H&R and Taurus .22 revolvers which are more or less Yugos. Love or hate S&W, the 17/617 is slicker than mouseshit on linoleum.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bought the Taurus 94 stainless sat. and love it already have about 130 rounds through it. I got it with the 5 inch barrel. I cant comment on the other guns.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can go to the shop and check them out really well and perhaps even shoot one if a friend has one, that would help a bunch. I can't recall the model number, but Ruger also has a well regarded .22 revolver of some type as well.

This is my order though for revolvers:

1. Smith and Wesson
2. Ruger
3. Taurus

That doesn't mean I think either choice is bad, I just prefer them in that order.

Am-o-Tramp, out of those three different types of rounds, what do you like best in your pistol? I notice you have some American Eagle there and always thought it was excellent small game ammo. Seemed it performed better than some of the highly regarded .22 LR. I was just wondering if your experience with it was similar.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#7]
556fiend,

Go for the S&W 17 or 617. It is a lifetime investment and you will never regret it. It's predecessor the K-22 and is every bit as good. These 22s are simply supurb. Do yourself a big favor. Hell, you only go around once!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#8]
How about a Ruger .22 Single-Six?  I think you can also swap the cylinders to .22 Magnum.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking single six too, but he want's a DA.  The six would be my first choice it if weren't for that requirement.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I currently use a S&W 422 6in. for plinking and close range varmint but it doesn't handle well with me, I've always been better with revolvers. If I got a standard capacity 22 revolver I would be halfing capacity. I don't know if I can bring myself to spend the money on a 617. Any of you guys with a 617 regret it? How much would a spring kit help the Taurus? I know I am grasping for straws here but it is $150 difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top