Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2016 4:48:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If only there was a mechanical way to prevent the bolt release from operating with the bolt forward. Seems like that would solve it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Aridus Industries is also coming out with a fix.  I'm hopeful to be able to T&E one at an upcoming day and a half Protective Shooting Concepts class.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
That's great but I gotta ask.. is this is a big problem for 1301 users?  
I shoot the piss out of my 2 1301s and have never hit that button by accident.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's an issue that keeps departments from adopting the gun. I'm planning to make mine my home defense gun pending proper instruction and a thorough evaluation. Even if it likely won't happen in the event I do make this my go to HD gun it's worth it to me to know it can't happen. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.

I have been shooting Beretta semi autos for 20 years, and have never handled the shotgun in such a way as to cause this.

The guy in the video's method of loading and unloading looks slow, unweildly and awkward.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed.

I have been shooting Beretta semi autos for 20 years, and have never handled the shotgun in such a way as to cause this.

The guy in the video's method of loading and unloading looks slow, unweildly and awkward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

I am in the same camp.
I have handled multiple 1301 guns in the past few years and have been shooting one (and observing many more ) in 3 Gun competition in this time. I have yet to see a single gun clog up from this issue. You have to intentionally push the back edge of the bolt release in a specific area to let a shell out of the tube. Depressing the large section of the release, or pressing the receiver against a table, barricade, etc. does NOT make it happen.

On the other hand it is very handy to be able flip the gun upside down, depress the carrier and rotate the bolt release to unload the tube..a very efficient and reliable manual of arms IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know what if any parts on the Beretta 1301 series are interchangeable with other Beretta shotguns? A400, A350, A300?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Took the class this weekend it was excellent.  Got to run the Aridus Industries shroud.  It was a rough pre-production model but it worked absolutely flawlessly.  After the way the 1301 ran in class and the setup I have I've decided to use the shotgun as my home defense long gun.  I will not however be doing so until I get an Aridus Industries shroud to eliminate the possibility of this issue.  I purposefully induced the shell dump onto the carrier malfunction and it is a show stopper.  

I get the fact that this is not an issue for most anyone, and certainly does not seem to be an issue for the posters in this thread, but I respect Murphy's Law.  Knowing that if this were to happen during the absolutely minuscule event I had to use this gun to protect myself or my family it's just worth the money to fix it where it can't.  Yes I'm preparing for an outlier inside of an outlier, but it's a cheap fix for peace of mind.

Pictures because everyone likes pictures.

BEFORE CLASS:

BEGINNING OF LOWLIGHT DAY ONE: (I'm the reflective shoes)

MORE LOWLIGHT WORK:

ARIDUS INDUSTRIES TEST BED 1301: (pre-production shroud on gun in picture)

MOUNTED PRESSURE PAD TODAY: (after getting the thumb smacked a few times in class by the light)
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The device linked above prevents the shell-release unloading feature from happening by eliminating rearward movement of the lever. It's about the only way to solve the problem short of completely reengineering the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If only there was a mechanical way to prevent the bolt release from operating with the bolt forward. Seems like that would solve it.

The device linked above prevents the shell-release unloading feature from happening by eliminating rearward movement of the lever. It's about the only way to solve the problem short of completely reengineering the gun.

You can also attach a small piece of metal under the lifter to lift it up a bit to prevent shells from entering the receiver if the release is pushed by accident. This fix also allows the release to still work when you want it to rapidly empty the mag tube.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can also attach a small piece of metal under the lifter to lift it up a bit to prevent shells from entering the receiver if the release is pushed by accident. This fix also allows the release to still work when you want it to rapidly empty the mag tube.

<a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/dntama/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxr9uedqz.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/dntama/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxr9uedqz.jpeg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/dntama/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxr9uedqz.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/dntama/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxr9uedqz.jpeg</a>

Interesting!

With this mod if  a shell comes out of the tube (after an accidental press on the back oft the release button) will the shell still cycle though the action when the bolt opens? or do you have to manually push the shell back into the magazine first?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Interesting!

With this mod if  a shell comes out of the tube (after an accidental press on the back oft the release button) will the shell still cycle though the action when the bolt opens? or do you have to manually push the shell back into the magazine first?

If the release is pressed the shell will stop at the tip of the lift gate and will cycle normally when the trigger is pulled. However it will jam if you have a ghost load or a shell already on the lifter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting!

If the release is pressed the shell will stop at the tip of the lift gate and will cycle normally when the trigger is pulled. However it will jam if you have a ghost load or a shell already on the lifter.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Where can these shrouds be purchased?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you have any pictures of it alone?

I made something like this out of a piece of 45 brass. I am wondering if this one actually blocks travel or is just shielding the button from activation.

Ive experienced the malfunction. Not too hard to get it to jam if you are handling the receiver or bump it against something / it is riding around in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where can these shrouds be purchased?
View Quote

http://taudevgroup.com/1301/

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Ok, so explain to me why Tau's is $15 and this is $60 besides the fact that you get a new button with the Aridus too?

Does the Aridus change the actual function of the button?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Tau's is simpler collar-only design (which works splendidly in my testing and in the hands of a bunch of others) and made out of injection-molded polymer similar to what you find in the frames of polymer handguns.  

The Aridus is a collar and a new latch, and is made out of anodized aluminum.

The per-unit costs is much higher when you have to machine and then finish all those parts as opposed to just using polymer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, so explain to me why Tau's is $15 and this is $60 besides the fact that you get a new button with the Aridus too?

Does the Aridus change the actual function of the button?

Tau's is simpler collar-only design (which works splendidly in my testing and in the hands of a bunch of others) and made out of injection-molded polymer similar to what you find in the frames of polymer handguns.  

The Aridus is a collar and a new latch, and is made out of anodized aluminum.

The per-unit costs is much higher when you have to machine and then finish all those parts as opposed to just using polymer.

I had no idea the Tau was polymer! Very good to know.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Everything JW777 said basically.  The Aridus Industries fix is a milled aluminum and hard coat anodized unit with collar and button.  The others are poly or plastic and the collar only.  Someone is making one that is 3d printed also I believe.  The collar only works as advertised and there is no need to get the Aridus if all you want is something that works.  I really like the thoughtfulness and extreme high quality of Aridus Industries kit. I'm happy to support that business.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#23]
10-4
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I am not buying one. Poor design. Not reliable for home defense.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mine is sitting about 2 feet away in full home defense mode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not buying one. Poor design. Not reliable for home defense.

Mine is sitting about 2 feet away in full home defense mode.

What does 'full home defense mode' mean for you JW? Buckshot in the tube cruiser ready with a sidesaddle or what?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Just don't have one in the chamber and bump that bolt catch on anything in the closet or under the bed. Lol. What a brain fart design
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just don't have one in the chamber and bump that bolt catch on anything in the closet or under the bed. Lol. What a brain fart design
View Quote

It is a fantastic shotgun, many others will do the same thing if you install an extended bolt release.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It is a fantastic shotgun, many others will do the same thing if you install an extended bolt release.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and you cannot cause a jam by pressing the bolt release at any random spot, or even on the large front section of the release paddle. Only by rotating the specific back section of the bolt release can you cause shells to come out of the tube...which is exactly how Beretta designed the gun to allow unloading the tube without cycling shells though the action.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Does the Aridus fix float around on the latch like the tau dev group?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#32]
It is a 'floating' piece but the two are machined in such a way that there isn't any movement. Very solid when all together.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Good to know.

PSA to anyone with a bad back (like me) that wants some recoil mitigation: Kickeez model KX-109 kinda fits but doesn't reduce recoil a lot. I'll be getting the Limbsaver 10702(?) soon to see how it fits
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Does the Tau device completely eliminate the ability to quickly clear the magazine?  I don't have a 1301 (yet) so I'm a little fuzzy on the mechanics involved.

Is their partial or full coverage one preferred?

(Edit)  OK, just found the third Lucky Gunner video that describes everything.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I just press on the inside of the receiver to release shells from the magazine instead of using the button.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the Tau device completely eliminate the ability to quickly clear the magazine?  I don't have a 1301 (yet) so I'm a little fuzzy on the mechanics involved.

Is their partial or full coverage one preferred?

(Edit)  OK, just found the third Lucky Gunner video that describes everything.

I just press on the inside of the receiver to release shells from the magazine instead of using the button.

This exact thing is demonstrated at the end of this video.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Aridus, easy install, DONE.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Mine ran everything I fed it. I used it for 3gun. Hadn't shot it in about 2 years and its just been sitting so I sold it this past weekend.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Old inactive thread, but hopefully someone using the Aridus Industries unit is still monitoring. Does the Aridus aluminum shroud move around enough to scratch or abuse the 1301s finish where it rests on the receiver? If it does I might go with the polymer Tau.

Thanks for any responses.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:34:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Old inactive thread, but hopefully someone using the Aridus Industries unit is still monitoring. Does the Aridus aluminum shroud move around enough to scratch or abuse the 1301s finish where it rests on the receiver? If it does I might go with the polymer Tau.

View Quote

Hasn't scratched it on mine that I can see yet, but then again, I installed it and forgot about it.

If you are worried about scratching your gun, throw it down the drive way...

But yeah, it probably will scratch the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

FWIW I'm very happy with the bikini version of the Tau shroud on my 1301.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#43]
No scratches plenty of use with my Aridus YT-1301.  For what it's worth both fixes seem to do the trick.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the quick responses and great information. Now to make a decision.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Aridus openly acknowledges that their design is a copy of the open source Tau design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top