Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2002 10:04:01 PM EDT
Lookin at a Benelli M1.  I am also thinking about getting into skeet shooting this spring.  Will i be able to shoot skeets with that shotgun (18.5" barrel with full choke)?

On benelli's website it says that a 2 shot magazine extension comes with the gun.  Would that then be 7+1 capacity and would that even be legal?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have two Benelli shotguns, both M1 fields, one with 24"barrel and one with 26" barrel. I shoot doves and sporting clays. You want at least a 24" barrel to shoot skeet IMHO.The 18" barrel is for home defense or tactical purposes. To the best of my knowledge all Benelli shotguns come with changeable chokes, but if not you would want modified or impcly for skeet shooting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't have the pistol grip (or a folding stock), you can go with the mag extension.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
You won't be able to shoot skeet if you use ghost ring sights.  If you get the rifle sights, the sights are mounted on the barrel, so you can get a 26" vent rib barrel and swap it out no problem.  Get the straight stock (no pistol grips on skeet fields).  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
SJSAMPLE:
 The plus 2 is illegal why?  The gun still doesn't have a detachable magazine.  Where are the evil features?  Why can't a tube-fed semi-auto shotgun have a pistol grip/or folding stock and a mag extension?  Explain this.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Post-ban rules of the game (In simple program pseudo-code) are as follows:

If (The shotgun is a post-ban autoloader)
  If (It has a standard stock) -> 5+ rd-shot capacity is legal.
  Else if (It has a pistol grip) -> Shot capacity is limited to 5-rds.

Else if (The shotgun is a pump-action OR a preban) -> 5+ rd capacity, pistol grip/stock, etc. are all OK.

* note: 5+ means "5 or greater", for purposes of this discussion.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Just for kicks, I tried my 18" M1 at my local trap range and got 19 of 25 using rifle sights and modified choke.  Recently I added a 26" barrel and tried it again using a Tasco PD5 dot sight.  Got 24/25, this really got the old men twitching, was told it was illegal etc and I can't use it in competition.  The gun is the least important part of breaking clay birds.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah...I shot sporting clays with my Benelli awhile back..18" ghost ring with choke tubes, pistol grip stock, SureFire forend light and side saddle.  I did just fine.  Sure was fun seeing all those old Billy Bobs looking like they just sucked a lemon when they saw my gun.

QS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top