Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 6:45:44 PM EDT
I am seeing how popular the 16 inch barrels are and can see why, but what do you lose from a 21 inch barrel? Is it enough to make a difference? Will it cut down on range? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer a para length barrel, best of both worlds in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
You're not likely going to be making 600 yard+ shots with a 21" barreled FAL. A 16" would handle anything within that range. So, no, you wouldn't lose much effective range.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The only practical experience I have with this is:  I've only been able to shoot my DSA stainless 16" carbine out to 300 yds.  With SA 147gr surplus, I didn't have any trouble hitting a 12" gong.  

I didn't have any trouble with my 24" DPMS hitting the same gong either, but I didn't have to aim 4" high.

If what I was told is correct, the average 7.62x51 surplus ammo burns entirely within 18" of barrel, so you shouldn't see much of a velocity drop....200 fps is about average (again, if I was informed correctly)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top