Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2001 9:34:30 PM EDT
 One of our members made about 80 knock down steel targets. We set them up at 35 to 100yds. There were a few jacket casings that hit the participants. One shooter got cut from a steel jacketed bullet. Even at 50yds I could hear parts of the bullets landing around us. Too bad because the targets looked great.

I later found out that AR500 plate 3/8 thick is hard enough not to crater. We know longer use steel jacket bullets. The hard plates last and the bullet jackets do not bounce back.
Always wear eye protection
VM  
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:14:12 AM EDT
[#1]
We use 1/4" thick plate steel knockdown targets cut out into the shape of a chicken.  We only shoot them with .22's.  We have the standup man sized targets out of the same sized plate steel and they dimple when heavier calibers (.40,.45acp) hit it.  But no jackets or lead flying back even at 15yds.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Are the targets allowed to swing or fall or are they static. Your targets need to move for them to be the safest.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
35 yards??
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
i use half inch flat stock steel cut in an 8 inch circle with some angle iron welded to it.  However, i set it up at around 200 yards.  If i shoot less than a hundred yards, i use paper targets to prevent fragments flying back.  

And yeah, wear safety glasses.  They work.  I know from experience.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#5]
might it be a good idea to angle the targets towards the ground. you will of course have to make the target "taller" in order to give you the same target area to aim at.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the swinging 3/8 steel targets made for hand guns (up to 44mag)  I set them up at 100 yards and my AR and FAL blows holes right through them. Then during the week i weld the holes shut and spray them chevy engine orange  
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top