Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 3:19:19 PM EDT
so i picked up a BK16.. my first... so far.. i like.. need to find a better sheath for it....but i see some hate towards the beckers.. why?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I love Beckers.  

The link will take you to a solid group of Beckerheads, including the man himself Ethan Becker.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
so i picked up a BK16.. my first... so far.. i like.. need to find a better sheath for it....but i see some hate towards the beckers.. why?
View Quote

Not sure if it's "hate" but even on the Becker forum you'll see a lot of complaining, usually regarding accessories and changes etc.  Everybody hates the crappy sheaths they come with though the newer sheaths are an improvement (starting with the 15, 16 17) but it's a problem of comparison.... there's always a Becker vs ESEE theme that occurs and I think that's where the problem is.  ESEE takes pretty good care of you right up front with scales built from a solid material, a Kydex sheath (that most people still replace) -vs- the plastic scales & sheath on the Beckers BUT the price difference kind of makes up for that making the Becker more "customizeable" (?)  

ex: The BK2 is 70.00 cheaper than the ESEE-5 so you can just take that 70.00 and buy micarta scales and a Kydex sheath, you'll still have to add a little money but you'll get exactly what you want.  So the cup is "half full" (?).

All the Beckerheads wish they were still made by Camillus, I don't know or care but Beckers aren't my thing.

Design-wise: the Becker knives are what I call "stick knives", they're straight and made in the shape of a 2x4.  For me this is the real problem when you start comparing them to ESEE's because the ergonomics aren't there unless you get a different hold on the handle with the exception of the BK14 & this is because they used an ESEE-handle on it (licensed).  There's nothing wrong with a straight "stick knife" and a lot of guys can't handle a forward leaning knife or ergonomic changes like that anyways.

Congrats on your first Becker, the BK16 is pretty nice... I've got a couple of them but a client sent me his once because he had some 1/8" spacers/liners added under the scales and I thought the difference in the way it felt was very nice.  The stock scales seem a little small towards the handle for my hands much like a light use kitchen knife.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not sure if it's "hate" but even on the Becker forum you'll see a lot of complaining, usually regarding accessories and changes etc.  Everybody hates the crappy sheaths they come with though the newer sheaths are an improvement (starting with the 15, 16 17) but it's a problem of comparison.... there's always a Becker vs ESEE theme that occurs and I think that's where the problem is.  ESEE takes pretty good care of you right up front with scales built from a solid material, a Kydex sheath (that most people still replace) -vs- the plastic scales & sheath on the Beckers BUT the price difference kind of makes up for that making the Becker more "customizeable" (?)  

ex: The BK2 is 70.00 cheaper than the ESEE-5 so you can just take that 70.00 and buy micarta scales and a Kydex sheath, you'll still have to add a little money but you'll get exactly what you want.  So the cup is "half full" (?).

All the Beckerheads wish they were still made by Camillus, I don't know or care but Beckers aren't my thing.

Design-wise: the Becker knives are what I call "stick knives", they're straight and made in the shape of a 2x4.  For me this is the real problem when you start comparing them to ESEE's because the ergonomics aren't there unless you get a different hold on the handle with the exception of the BK14 & this is because they used an ESEE-handle on it (licensed).  There's nothing wrong with a straight "stick knife" and a lot of guys can't handle a forward leaning knife or ergonomic changes like that anyways.

Congrats on your first Becker, the BK16 is pretty nice... I've got a couple of them but a client sent me his once because he had some 1/8" spacers/liners added under the scales and I thought the difference in the way it felt was very nice.  The stock scales seem a little small towards the handle for my hands much like a light use kitchen knife.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow... great info!!  i guess i can see what all the fuss is about in regards to the sheath.. my buddy ordered an essee the same day i ordered my beckerBK16.. although the blades are different.. his is thicker/heavier.. his did come with a better sheath.. the sheath on the BK16 is not bad in my opinion.. kinda like the old school rambo knives if you will.. could it be better...certainly.. the essee's run $100 buck or better.. the BK16.. sells for like $70.. so i guess there is some trade off there.. and it is a little slim for my hands like you stated.. but.. i'm still happy with it as far as my first "real" knife purchase goes..
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Look up the scale liners on BF when you get a chance (Becker forum) some guys were making them out of car floor mats and man did it make a difference... also Preparedmind101 (youtube) wrapped some pipe sealing tape (made for emergency repairs) it's like "Wilson" wrap for tennis rackets-that should take up some of the slack too and make it fit your hand much better.  Yep, now you've got 30.00 you can put towards a sheath down the road... I'm not against "factory" sheaths because you can always leave that one strapped to your pack and then have one on your hip or any other combination.

I'll check for a pic of the wrapped handle when I get a chance but if you look on his youtube or Instagram you'll see it there.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Look up the scale liners on BF when you get a chance (Becker forum) some guys were making them out of car floor mats and man did it make a difference... also Preparedmind101 (youtube) wrapped some pipe sealing tape (made for emergency repairs) it's like "Wilson" wrap for tennis rackets-that should take up some of the slack too and make it fit your hand much better.  Yep, now you've got 30.00 you can put towards a sheath down the road... I'm not against "factory" sheaths because you can always leave that one strapped to your pack and then have one on your hip or any other combination.

I'll check for a pic of the wrapped handle when I get a chance but if you look on his youtube or Instagram you'll see it there.

View Quote

k... will do.. thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

wow... great info!!  i guess i can see what all the fuss is about in regards to the sheath.. my buddy ordered an essee the same day i ordered my beckerBK16.. although the blades are different.. his is thicker/heavier.. his did come with a better sheath.. the sheath on the BK16 is not bad in my opinion.. kinda like the old school rambo knives if you will.. could it be better...certainly.. the essee's run $100 buck or better.. the BK16.. sells for like $70.. so i guess there is some trade off there.. and it is a little slim for my hands like you stated.. but.. i'm still happy with it as far as my first "real" knife purchase goes..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've owned both.  Both fall into the category of utilitarian beater-blade IMHO.  

Take the BK15 for example.  That knife is a damn good design and sadly, not appreciated by people that buy the typical becker/esee genre of knife.  The handle is comfortable, it's well balanced.  Slicey mofo too.  Perfect length for what it is.  Wicked fast in the hand.

The sheathes that come with beckers do leave something to be desired, however for what they cost compared to an esee, one can acquire a high quality aftermarket kydex sheath from a variety of sources as there are a number of kydex benders that make sheaths for those blades.

Esee's warranty is a little better, but I think I like 1095CV better than plain 1095.  

So, if you like a knife from either make, you will get a decent product for your $.  It's up to you which you pick and why.

Additionally, aftermarket sheaths are so much better than most any factory offering that they are almost mandatory for me.  The exception is esee's sheaths, as they are well made, not kydex, but mount the same to tec-locks and other attachment methods that I prefer.  Not everyone feels the same though.

Mashed cat and buy brown are two kydex makers that I can support from experience that do very good jobs.  There are others that deserve as much respect, but not having used them, I cannot personally comment on their stuff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I love Beckers because you get a good knife for your money without getting to many frills. Kinda like vinyl floor matts and crank windows in a pick up.

The sheaths do kind of suck, and the grivory isn't fancy but damnit it works.

I have a bk15, a Bk24 and a Doug Ritter Mk II which is a Becker/Ritter collab made by Rowen. It's also known as the Bk12.

I also have an Esee 4. I'll probably own an LS, 3 & 6, maybe even a Hoonie before it is all over.

I don't have an itching desire for another Becker right now, unless I find a good deal on a 16. I am sure I will pick up another if they have more on the discontinue list.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like the Becker's for the money.

I have a 5, 6, 7, 10, and a 16 - I have met EB several times and He says that the 16 is one of his best designs.

Kbar has proven it self as a worthy manufacture of the BK line.  I don't get the comment about thinking Camilus was better (and I have both).

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The Beckers are nice solid knives for the money. I have a BK7 and BK15 and yes the sheaths could be better but the knives are very useful. I think I like the BK15 better than my RC(ESEE)4.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Beckers are my go to woods knives.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top