Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 1:42:27 PM EDT
My father bought the above receiver in 1995 during the assault weapons ban.  He was told it was a pre-ban receiver.  the serial number is SAF 850008.  On the magazine well is ONYX HLN MT.
He later assembled it on a L1a1 parts set.  Can someone tell me the approximate worth of the receiver and who may have imported it?  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The importer is ONYX. Can't say on what the receiver might fetch but I'm guessing around the $400-$500 range. To bad it wasn't imported as a complete rifle. Eden and Poyer imported Aussie SLRs and they tend to go in the $2,500+ range.
Might want to check on the www.falfiles.com forum and post the question.

MikeyBat
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The importer is ONYX. Can't say on what the receiver might fetch but I'm guessing around the $400-$500 range. To bad it wasn't imported as a complete rifle. Eden and Poyer imported Aussie SLRs and they tend to go in the $2,500+ range.
Might want to check on the www.falfiles.com forum and post the question.

MikeyBat
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I wonder how much the rifle assembled with the parts kit would fetch?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Not really sure. Is the parts kit Aussie or British? Since preban L1A1s are rare birds I'm going to guess in the $1,500 range in excellent condition.

MikeyBat
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
How can you tell if the parts kit is australian or british.  Is there some markings?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
From the FAL files...

Onyx Arms

FALaholic # 17203
 March 21, 2005 08:29                   Post #16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I owned ONYX ARMS Inc, located in Helena, Bozeman and Great Falls, Montana, USA. From 1984 to 1989

Onyx Arms was an Importer, manufacturer, and NFA manufacturer of Firearms.

I did import Complete L1A1 (A) Semi-automatic Rifles and COMPLETE RECEIVERS from Lithgow Arsenal in Australia, In the years 1984, 1985, 1986. I never purchased or imported any incomplete receivers and finished them in the United States. ALL my receivers WERE 100% made at lithgow and are proofed as such.

ATF. directed my company to mark these Receivers with the designation L1A1A

In 1986 Lithgow informed my company that they were re-tooling and would not be able to make any more semiautomatic receivers.

In 1987 I then contracted with SBL in Israel to manufacture Complete FAL receivers using FN Belgium forgings. This was done in the Years of 1987 and 1988, these receivers were made in several different styles, type 1,2 and 3, but all marked SBL and Onyx Arms, GTF , MT,

These SBL receivers are in no way connected with any other importer.

The first two digits of all of the receivers Israel or Australian are the year of production.

I did make complete rifles using Belgium, British, Australian and Israel kits that I also imported.

I also sold receivers direct to dealers.

I also did make NFA weapons.

I have seen pictures of several FAL’s that are marked ONYX but are not my receivers.

Should you have any questions you can contact me at this address.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How can you tell if the parts kit is australian or british.  Is there some markings?

On the lower receiver there will be alpha/numeric markings stamped. If it starts with 'AD' it's an Aussie built L1A1 by SAF Lithgow. The british version was built by BSA and Enfield.

MikeyBat
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:46:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#9]
JMD, I just sent you a very important e-mail concerning the REAL value of an Onyx imported, Lithgow mfg. receiver.

Please read it.

Your welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top