Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2002 7:43:26 PM EDT
Saw one at the shop today. Very, very light.
The lower is some sort of polymer.  It does look sort of cheap. Maybe I'm used to the AR15 upper and lower. Anyone have one of these? How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about the AR180b?  The original AR180 has a stamped steel construction, even the fire controls are made of stamped parts.  The new AR180B has a polymer lower.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It must be the AR-180B
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#3]
What I'd like to know is whether or not it had a good trigger. I have the AR-180B on order through my dealer, and at 6 lbs. unloaded, it's got to be a great gun for the field.

Regarding construction, I would agree, the original AR-18's seem rather, well, like the PPsh sub-guns in their manner of fabrication. That was the big selling point of Armalite back in the early '70's anyway, that you could stamp these things out for a fraction of the cost of a forged AR-15, and with a gas system that is much better from both an engineering and practical standpoint.

The AK, M14, FAL, and SKS all use piston-tappet type gas systems to great effect, and it's a shame that the AR15 doesn't also. I'm buying the first AR-180B to hit my dealer's shop.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#4]
andrew, Ouch,
there's a review of the AR-180B tacked to the top of the AR-10 & AR-180 Forum - reviewed by cruffler.com.

For more direct info, LARRYG, Spade, bigyeti, Frank Squid*, GI_Brat etc., have all received their AR-180B rifles.

*Frank Squid won't answer you unless you ask him what he did in the Navy !

FYI, the review is positive and the guys that have received their rifles like them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#5]
i shot LarryGs at the ATL shoot. i was very impressed. it is very light with a thin profile barrel. the lower is polymer and appears to take AR fire control parts allowing you to stock common pins, springs etc. i hope to order one ASAP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top