Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2014 10:43:38 AM EDT
I have a T38 "trophy" that was brought back, and as such, it is missing the safety knob and the firing pin spring (like most).

My question is this:
Which T38 safety knob should I use for my rifle?
(are all Type 38 knobs interchangable?)

I know of the large bump, the small bump, and the notched safety.

are there others?

I do have the armory and manufacturing origin of the rifle, but i dont have that information with me at the moment.

thank you for any help.

(i have not been able to get reliable pictures of the working side of the different knobs for comparison, otherwise, I wouldn't be asking)
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#1]
no one knows whether they are interchangeable?

I guess I'll just get one and start trying them...

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
there where three different styles.  Depending what series you have, is what may be the determinate for the correct proper safety knob to install.  Of course most are impossible to match the serial numbers to, since the safety knob usually has the last three numbers of the serial number on them to match.  I used the notched version and the smaller tab version on two seperate carbine receivers and they both worked.  If you are just going for functionality, either of the knobs should work.  If you have any further in depth questions on this rifle, I suggest you go on the Gunboards forum in the Japanese collectors thread in order to get expert advice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Im only concerned with functionality.

All the numbers match on my rifle, as the knob was probably removed in an effort to render the weapon functionless when my great uncle boarded the ship to come home, it would be impossible to find the original knob.

The series number (i believe it is supposed to be left of the serial number on the receiver) has worn off or is otherwise unreadable. (so matching it up with the correct knob is probably also not likely)

thank you for your response...
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Look on e -bay . Many parts to be had there
I would get a whole complete bolt and try that rather than
Just trying a safety knob
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get away with just using the safety knob. I have done the swap overs with no issues with the type 38s.  I have also swapped  safety knobs on type 99s with different type 99 bolts.  All you need to make sure is that you get a type 38 safety knob. when you start changing bolts, although not usually a problem, you have to start thinking about head space change.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah.. I'm not spending $150 on a complete bolt for a $400 gun.

I found a large bump safety and ordered it..

but

they sent a NOTCHed safety..

no worries, it worked perfectly (although my rifle left the factory with a large bump safety.
(so they ARE interchangeable...)

im going to send it back and have the guy send me the correct period safety (large bump)

thanks for the input, guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top