Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2016 9:18:15 AM EDT
long story short, friend has an old Lafever damascus barrel SXS 12 guage.

Would like to be able ot shoot it, but would like it in 20 guage.

My thought was barrel inserts.  Not sure what accuracy you will lose in a short one vs full barrel length, or if its safe ina  potentially unsafe barrel....

Are the inserts strong enough to contain the blast without a modern strong barrel around them?

Who makes the full length inserts?

Would short(9 or 10in) inserts work?  Do you lose accuracy/pattern?  dangerous due to barrel being old or is it only the chamber that you worry about?

Any advice/input would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Both Briley and Kolar make sub gauge tubes suitable for many Damascus barreled shotguns.

I recommend the full length tubes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both Briley and Kolar make sub gauge tubes suitable for many Damascus barreled shotguns.

I recommend the full length tubes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, looks like the tubes are too pricey to justify then as he was looking for a cheap way to shoot .20.  better off just buying a dedicated 20 guage,,,,
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep if he's looking for cheap a used 20 gauge is going to be his best bet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used 20 gauge inserts in a 10 gauge, and only light loads.  The inserts on a 10 gauge to 20ga  are thick walls going that much of a reduction - as thick as a barrel itself, and the pressure won't build in the barrel as the projectile / wads are way undersized .  I'm not sure if the steel walls or the undersized bore going from 12 to 20 is enough margin for safety.  I would go 12 to 410 if it were me.

I would say the chamber inserts are OK for just being able to shoot light loads in a way undersize conversion. Internal corrosion within the steel barrels is something you can't determine in a damascus barrel and it can let go if pressure is high.  Better being safe than sorry (losing eye or hand).
Top Top