Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2001 4:00:55 PM EDT
I was looking at the Rem. 11-87P for my next shotgun. Anyone have feedback good or bad.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Great shotgun, and can shoot 3" shells.  They were supposed to be an improvement over the original 1100, but I don;t think they truly are.  The 1100 is a great design, but so is the 11-87.  You will be happy with an 11-87.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#2]
My friend has one and likes it.  The only complaint he has is that it only cycles with buckshot or slugs.  It won't cycle on lower power rounds, which means you can't practice with the cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've built up 2 before going to the Benelli system. They are the softest recoiling shotgun that I know of. They tend to cycle much slower than the Benelli, because of the gas operation. that's not really bad, just slower. I would put them on par with the Benelli using full power ammo. Neither are totally reliable with light loads. You can probably use high brass field loads for practice, if you don't hang too much crap on it like tac lights, sidesaddles etc. If you tend to be recoil sensitive it's the best choice. the Benelli/Beretta system kicks like an 870. Keep in mind that the 1187 is heavier than most recoil operated systems.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Great gun for the money. It shoots everything I have feed it so far, from light loads to magnum. I just wish I bought the 26” barrel instead of the standard 28”.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
My 11-87P cycles with anything I put through it.  Dove shot, 2 in slugs, 2 in buckshot, reduced recoil buckshot, copper solids, you get the point.  My question is why are you guys having trouble getting yours to cycle with lighter loads?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#6]
With light loads, his 1187P short strokes.  The shot fires, but fails to eject.  Absolutely no problems with full power loads.  Did you have any work done to your gas system.  Does anyone know a solution to this problem
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Great shotgun, and can shoot 3" shells.  They were supposed to be an improvement over the original 1100, but I don;t think they truly are.  The 1100 is a great design, but so is the 11-87.  You will be happy with an 11-87.

They are an 1100. same design, but they have more metal on the gun for the heavy loads. Basically a 1100 on steroids.
GG
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I had similar problems first couple a hundred rounds, but it seems to have shot its way clear of that. Good blaster,takes a lickin' and keeps on a tickin'.Only problem now is that the old fogeys at the skeet range don't seem to be able to get past the evil black gun with the ten round tube.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The 1187 is not an 1100. Remington fixed several "problems" with the 1100 desighn with the 1187. I just got out of the Remington L.E. Armorers school. We did not touch the 1100 but got some time on the 1187. I like it and I liked the way it shot. I found that it had a lot more parts in it than the Beretta or Benelli. I did not like the gas ring set up but that is probably why the recoil was so nice. We put all kinds of shells through it. We did not have one failure with any load. I like the gun but I will probably get a Beretta or a Benelli.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#10]
There are no problems with the 1100. The only thing they fixed was the blueing and so called engraving and the amount of metal on the gun, now it can shoot 3'" and 2 3/4" shells all day long, unless you have the 3 1/2 model. Mr Armory school man,if you have time on an 1187 you have time on a 1100, except use care because 1100's are normally pretty guns, at least, mine is.
GG
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
have had a 26" 1187 for over 10yrs.  very good gun and reliable from dove loads to 3" slugs.
Do check the little rubble o-ring by the gas piston seals inside the forearm... when that wears out, you lose some seal of the gases and will have trouble fully ejecting light (ie skeet or dove) loads.  Also check that the gas port in the barrel isn't clogged with carbon, etc.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't be jealous Gun Guru. Ignorance is bliss, I am sorry that I interrupted your serenity.

You are right in the fact that the 1100 and the 1187 are the same design. But the 1187P (police model) is significantly better made than the 1100. Saying they are the same is like saying a Special Weapons SW5 is the same as a H&K 94. Yes they are the same but they are not equal. IN fact all of Remingtons shotguns that are "P" models are made to a much higher standard and have several design differences. They are small but significant. You see the 1187P is designed for day in and day out Law Enforcement use. The 1100 is designed as a sporting arm, to be used less frequently and handled more carefully. The 1100 was not designed for combat. The 1187 is.

I still say save up and get a Benelli.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
SW5 and 94, That is a poor comparison. I already mentioned thr differences. Higher standards, Bullshit, they use the same standards with all their weapons. I can see this at Rem. "Hey, this rifle is substandard, send it out anyway." Tell me a design difference in the gun that I forgot to mention, please. I hope every one knows that 1100 are hunters. There is no difference in the 1187p rec and the 1187SP rec. So the police models are not special or anything, just more metal like I said.
GG
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Okay, from what I remember (my department only has 870's so I did not high light ALL the differences on the 1187).

1. Like on the 870 the trigger housing is made out of aluminum on the current L.E. shotguns. The hunting guns use plastic. (it is cheaper)
2. The magazine spring retainer is made out of plastic and is designed so that a Remington extension will not work properly. This can be checked buy unscrewing the mag cap and seeing if the ring that holds the barrel onto the mag tube as a little detent in it close to the barrel. If it does you can easily put on the mag extension. If it does not it has the P.C. mag tube. (on further checking I think this one only applies to the 870)

All L.E. shotguns currently built by Remington are built to higher spec. than the hunting shotguns. The FBI shotguns are even further modified to be "Agent proof". One example is that the FBI 870 has an aluminum follower that can be put into the mag well either way. Just in case an agent puts it in wrong. They also have their own FBI short stock (part #98861). The mag springs are different as well. The L.E. shot guns have a  22" spring and the hunting models have a 16" spring. I am not referring to the Extended mag tube. It uses a 28" spring. This is to over come some of the were on the spring caused by having it loaded and sitting in a rack day in and day out. It also helps to ensure positive feeding. The sear spring on an L.E. gun is 6 lbs.(part #97642) and 3-5 lbs. on a hunting gun (part #17581).

Chevy, Ford, Volvo ect. all make police package cars that are built to a higher standard than the normal production car. What makes you think that other companies would not do the same? A standard production item is fine under normal conditions and use. But for the rigors of Law Enforcement some things need to be beefed up. Or in the case of the 870, left alone and not made out of cheaper less rugged materials.

Gun Guru. I think I have handed out enough free info. to someone with such a smart ass demeanor. If you STILL do not believe me call Remington and ask their "Armorer school guys".

I learned long time ago from an experienced armorer, "It is expensive to be ignorant.".
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#15]
1 870 expess, plastc, wingmaster, metal
2 aplies to only the 870 as you said
3 I dont know
4 they are equal to the perfomance models, ie. trans am, Z28 and such.
5 All you can talk about is 870s not 1187s,your a bad spindoctor and you still havnt proved they are not the same design. Yes I will Email them about #3. Dont worry, no more replys from me untill you have somthing of value tell me.
GG
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey, you guys, use this:

www.remingtonle.com/home/le_home.htm

Make sure you check out the LE FACTS part.
When you click on to see rifles, shotguns, etc. make sure you click on to the model designators and anything else that might be a link to another page so you don't miss anything.  Have fun.

P.S.   P stands for Parkerized, not Police.
P.P.S. PSS stands for Police Special Sniper( or Police Sniper Special).

Aww, SSShit, this is starting to sound like a PiSSing Contest!
------------------------------------

I am a Certified Remington Enthusiast...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top