Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2012 4:34:22 AM EDT
Google is unforgiving. Brings up AP 30-06, fully loaded ammo and everything but what I am looking for.

Does anyone make a steel core .308 for reloading?

ETA okay then, never mind. I did not know it was illegal. Now I do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 5:35:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't want anywhere near steel bullets for a 308.  You'd be making armor piercing .308 ammo which is illegal per the ATF.  Yes, armor piercing 30-06 is allowed by nothing that can be loaded into a handgun can be armor piercing and someone, somewhere made a .308 pistol so it's illegal too.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You don't want anywhere near steel bullets for a 308.  You'd be making armor piercing .308 ammo which is illegal per the ATF.  Yes, armor piercing 30-06 is allowed by nothing that can be loaded into a handgun can be armor piercing and someone, somewhere made a .308 pistol so it's illegal too.  

I was wondering about that. I seemed to remember about it being illegal. But is it .308 specifically that is illegal? I was actually looking to load some 300 Blackout.  I have a sheet of soft steel I thought would be fun to poke some holes in. But if illegal I obviously won't.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Individuals can have and make as much .308 AP as they desire, you just can't sell it.  It's probably illegal in areas where most things are, i.e. CA, HI, NY, NJ, etc.  Roll your own if you can find the bullets, which you can from time to time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Individuals can have and make as much .308 AP as they desire, you just can't sell it.  It's probably illegal in areas where most things are, i.e. CA, HI, NY, NJ, etc.  Roll your own if you can find the bullets, which you can from time to time.

So get .308 dia bullets for .30.06 and load for your 308
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Crazy law.  Remington, Savage, and Thompson Center have made single shot handguns in just about every rifle caliber out there (including .30-06.)

Edited to add:  From a purely academic view, I wonder if the black paint can be easily removed using a tumbler?  I do not condone removing the designating paint, just curious in the search for knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crazy law.  Remington, Savage, and Thompson Center have made single shot handguns in just about every rifle caliber out there (including .30-06.)

Edited to add:  From a purely academic view, I wonder if the black paint can be easily removed using a tumbler?  I do not condone removing the designating paint, just curious in the search for knowledge.

Anything will take the paint off.

Tumbling or even hoppies #9,

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 2:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a bunch a few months ago. Some guy bought them all for about 1.50 a bullet.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#9]
There is all kinds of 308 AP ammo and projectiles for sale on the internet. Try searching some more.

I will go out on a limp here and say it is not illegal or there would not  be any AP available.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
How come steel core SS109's are legal?
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This.
Legal to roll your own.  Illegal to roll them and sell them, aka "manufacture."

That's why I have over 1,500 projectiles in storage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Also illegal to make your own new projectiles IIRC but OK to use surplus.

30 caliber AP is not particularly impressive. Anything that would be penetrated by 30 AP would likely be penetrated by a smaller high velocity caliber.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How come steel core SS109's are legal?

Per the Gun Control Act (18 U.S.C. Chapter 44)

Exemptions: The following articles
are exempted from the definition of armor
piercing ammunition.

5.56 mm (.223) SS 109 and M855
Ammunition, identified by a green coating
on the projectile tip.

U.S. .30-06 M2AP, identified by a
black coating on the projectile tip.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies. I would think steel core is steel core, and that steel core pretty much means AP rounds. Second question,Where can I get some SS109's for reloading?
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I would think steel core is steel core, and that steel core pretty much means AP rounds. Second question,Where can I get some SS109's for reloading?[/quote

Despite whatever the gooberment may decide, steel core does not make ammunition armor piercing.

The combloc countries commonly used mild steel cores to cut costs.

Real armor piercing ammo has a hard steel core and will be penetrate farther on hard targets.  Soft steel core ammo penetrates about as far lead core ammo on hard targets.

Drill bits and coat hangers are both metal, but it does not make them equal.

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I would think steel core is steel core, and that steel core pretty much means AP rounds. Second question,Where can I get some SS109's for reloading?[/quote

Despite whatever the gooberment may decide, steel core does not make ammunition armor piercing.

Real armor piercing ammo has a hard steel core and will be penetrate farther on hard targets.  Soft steel core ammo penetrates about as far lead core ammo on hard targets.

Then why does the military have M855?
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why does the military have M855?

Because someone decided that poking a hole in a helmet at a long way out was important.  

Was the improved capability to poke a hole in a helmet a result of a little bit of soft steel being a "penetrator" or was it because the bullet is ass heavy and more stable and tends to hit straighter on impact.? I don't know.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it's the Teflon coating that does that.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Just get a Corbin Swage machine, some .30cal swage dies, some copper cups, some scrap lead, and some hardened tungston carbide rods...  Roll your own
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's the Teflon coating that does that.    

So I can just spray my bullets with PAM cooking spray and make AP bullets? LMAO

It seems like I read somewhere someone suggested that......seriously.

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
A Desert Eagle pistol in .30-06, FO RIZZLE????

LMAO
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#24]
To the "M855 is not AP" crowd...

A friend of mine has is own 600 yard range on his property.  He has a human silhouette target cut form ½" steel plate hanging from an old swing set.  We shoot it with everything, from 300 Win Mag, to 308, to 5.56, to 6.5x284.  Nothing leaves a bigger crater in the metal than the M855, save any real "M2" AP stuff that we're both saving for a rainy day.  It leaves bigger craters from 500 yards than a Barnes X bullet does from a handloaded 300 Win Mag at 200 yards, but it does not penetrate.

M855 may not be classified as AP, but penetrates a heck of a lot better than any conventional projectile, even those fired from more powerful cartridges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top