Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2007 2:47:04 PM EDT
Is anyone else considering selling their .50 due to the now sky high price of .50 ammo?
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I was until I found that reloading equipment last week.  I still wonder if I made the right decision and shouldn't have just sold out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I was buying Garands and '03's when you couldn't find 06 ammo for less that $0.50 a round, and I'm buying .308 rifles now when the price is over $0.50 a round.

Ammo Prices rise and fall all the time, Cost of shooting them shouldn't ever be a factor in you decision to keep or sell a firearm.

Don't get me wrong, I know $3+ a shot is kinda ridiculous, However if you thought a head of time like I did and bought alot of reloading components in bulk befor the prices went up, you could be loading 50 BMG for not much more than buying .308 ammo.

My loads break down as follows:

Bullet (API or Tracer)                               $0.10
Primer (CCI)                                           $0.18
Powder (surplus 5010) 225 grs.                 $0.11
Brass                                                      Free
Total                                                      $0.39 a round

If I change out to Spotter -Tracer or Incendiary its $0.20 higher or $0.59 a round
If I shoot M33 ball ( new prod. South African 690 Gr.) its $0.30 Higher or $0.69 a round

Now if you wanna shoot Amax's all day ( I can't do it) Then yeah its gonna be expensive to reload but cheaper than you can buy Amaxs already loaded.

at almost $3a piece for Amax's and $140 per 8 lb keg for H50bmg or $0.56 per round for powder and a $0.18 primer for a total of $3.74 a round.

You can still get everything a decent prices, Projectiles have gone up about 5 cents a piece and powder has gone from $ 25 per 8lb jug to $33 per 8lb jug and primers went up a penny a piece .

so if I had to buy components now my cost per round would be:
Bullet          $0.15
Primer         $0.19
Powder        $0.14
Total           $0.48 a piece

or with Spotters its $0.68 a piece or with Ball $0.78 a piece

Still less than a buck a round which to me is reasonable considering the shear size of the cartridge and the Fun factor

You can buy a Lee Press kit for loading 50 bmg for less than $200, $100 for a powder measure, about $30 for case trimming equipment and $50 for a decent set of scales.

Or roughly $400 bucks for reloading gear,figure you'll likely load 5000 rds in your life time. for a total of $0.08 per round for equipment.

so totals are

$ 0.56 to $0.86 per round for plinking ammo
$3.82 per round for Match ammo.

so is shooting the 50 really that expensive?

Btw if you havn't figured out I have no intentions of selling my 50 because of ammo costs, not to mention the fact that it hasn't arrived yet (still being built)

Jason

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:53:47 AM EDT
[#3]
You guys have it easy when you consider that my last 100 rounds of Ball surplus ammo (manufactured LC 1951) cost me $4.53 a round...

Still think that feeding your .50 is expensive

Don't sell your .50  !!!!

Cheers
Steven
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one up for sale on another board. Its not really the price of ammo so much as finding ammo. The same holds true for reloading components.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck!! I just bought one!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Steven,

How the Heck are you getting LC Surplus ammo in Great Britain?

I suspect that all calibers are fairly expensive in GB, am I correct?

Jason
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Steven,

Jason

I'm not sure who bought the LC stuff into the UK, or how long its been here for that matter,but there appears to be a reasonable amount of it. Its pretty dirty stuff, but cleans up like new. (didnt want to fire grimy stuff through my new walther barrel ..).

I can't get CCI primers, they're on permanet back order it seems...I do have access to plenty of new CBC (Magtech?) brass and I have a stock of Lapua 750 Bullet-X heads, with 'Russian' primers. Problem with the CBC brass appears to be shallow primer pockets....I'm looking at getting a reamer from M2 precision to sort those.

Factory ammo prices are expensive here...but for .223 and .308 I'm using Mil surplus, which works out cheaper for what I use it for, I reload my match ammo as and when I get time.

Cheers
Steven
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Steven,
I bought a primer pocket uniformer from K&M services, I thinkk it was $35 shipped but with you in GB I suspect it would be a little higher. Anyway I'm very happy with it. Several of my LC 03 casings have border line shallow pockets.

He should be listed in the FCSA suppliers directory, If you want the contact info lemme know and I'll get for you.

BTW, I really like the pics that you've posted here as well as on the FCSA forum.

Jason
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
If you do decide to sell let me know.  I'm in Hickory. Brass. Bullets, equipment, gun, etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steven,

Jason

I'm not sure who bought the LC stuff into the UK, or how long its been here for that matter,but there appears to be a reasonable amount of it. Its pretty dirty stuff, but cleans up like new. (didnt want to fire grimy stuff through my new walther barrel ..).

I can't get CCI primers, they're on permanet back order it seems...I do have access to plenty of new CBC (Magtech?) brass and I have a stock of Lapua 750 Bullet-X heads, with 'Russian' primers. Problem with the CBC brass appears to be shallow primer pockets....I'm looking at getting a reamer from M2 precision to sort those.

Factory ammo prices are expensive here...but for .223 and .308 I'm using Mil surplus, which works out cheaper for what I use it for, I reload my match ammo as and when I get time.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/nokiapics/CIMG1507.jpg

Cheers
Steven

Who makes the rifle on the left and can it be shipped to the US?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Of all the guns I have, the .50 is one that I don't think I would ever get rid of.....regardless of ammo cost.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you do decide to sell let me know.  I'm in Hickory. Brass. Bullets, equipment, gun, etc.

You Talkin to ME?  I'm in Yadkin county

Jason
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:31:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steven,

Jason

img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/nokiapics/CIMG1507.jpg

Cheers
Steven

Who makes the rifle on the left and can it be shipped to the US?

Thanks

The rifle on the left of the pic is my .50 AMSD Nemesis, made in Switzerland.
Go to their website: www.amsd.ch and have alook around. They've done business in the US before but the Swiss Franc to USD exchange rate might make it expensive ?

I flew over to Geneva to pick mine up

Short 15" version - A real flamethrower

Longer 33" tube

Same rifle as above, quick barrel swap, now 20" with Suppressor

MKIII Version with new brake:

Brand New !

Swiss Military Range Complex

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top