Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2002 11:18:24 PM EDT
Or S&W model 76?  I dig these guns, was thinking about taking the class III plunge with one.

I personally like the configuration of the MK-760/Swedish K/Port Said/Madsen, but I've never actually shot one.  Any owners here, or people who have shot them?  How do they rate against MACs, Uzis, STENs, other low-end SMG's?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen a couple be fired. They are semi problematic. There was an article in an old MGN covering "tune-up/reliability" issues to make one run consistantly. Most were polishing issues.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#2]

I personally like the configuration of the MK-760/Swedish K/Port Said/Madsen

The Madsen is not related to these guns, but is an excellent subgun just the same.

I have a "U" series S&W 76 and have really enjoyed it. I would say that the Uzi ranks way above the M76/MK760 and the rest of the subguns mentioned due to greater parts and magazine availability, but I think that the M76/MK760 are better guns than the Macs and Stens (though there are beaucoup Sten parts kits).

I have heard that the MK760 is pickier about magazines and ammunition than the original M76. The only reliability issue that I've had with my M76 has been with CCI Blazer ammunition.

I've shot Macs and the rate of fire is VERY high (over 1,000 rounds/minute) making it a somewhat difficult gun to shoot well. The M76 is somewhat high as well (725 rounds/minute), but still controllable. The Sten can be somewhat finicky in functioning, but is fairly easy to shoot.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Stemple (.45 ACP derivative of the M76) and they're fairly cheap (about $1600 NIB and they use grease gun magazines). The Reising might be worth considering, too. However, magazines can be a real chore.

Madsens are worth a look as well. Priced near a M76, they're very reliable, C&R eligible, and there are parts kits out there as well.

Lots of fun.

Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#3]

I've seen a couple be fired. They are semi problematic. There was an article in an old MGN covering "tune-up/reliability" issues to make one run consistantly. Most were polishing issues.

This applies to the MK760, not the M76. There were about three different variations of the MK760 guns, with the latter guns made to beat the May '86 deadline a little rougher finished.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
me me me. i fired one with a intrugal supressor. it was real quiet and controlable. really slings .45. real fun to shoot, and the market is flooded, you can get a duel transfer gun for pretty cheap.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]

really slings .45.

Then you were shooting a Stemple, because the S&W 76 and MK760 are both 9mm subguns.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Well if an UZI is way better than a MK-760/S&W and just $500 more, that counts a lot in my book.  Plus the parts and mags issue.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:09:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Well if an UZI is way better than a MK-760/S&W and just $500 more, that counts a lot in my book. Plus the parts and mags issue.

I bought my M76 primarily because it is a C&R subgun and I can travel interstate without having to file a 5320.20. If I had it to do over again (and I may still buy one), I'd get a Vector Uzi. No question about that. Besides, a Vector Uzi is registered in three calibers (.22 LR, 9mm, and .45).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top