Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 9:49:26 PM EDT
I have several hundred rounds for my bolt gun and wonder how it performs out of a standard M1A (I haven't tried it yet)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Will work like a champ- in fact that is all I shoot out of my high precision M1A rig (unless I get my mitts on some special ball- which is not more accurate than the 168, but is "authentic")
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#2]
It didn't do anything better than 147gr ball out of my standard grade.  My rifle liked the Winchester Supreme 168gr Match, but that round is more expensive than Federal.

I also tried Black Hills, and it didn't like it any better either.  

You may find more brass shavings from the Federal in your M1A.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Every barrel will have it's favorite load, that is why many of us handload (not just to save money).  My M1A prefers the Black Hills Match ammo over the Federal 168 grain Match, but my handloaded 168 grain Sierra MatchKing load seems better still.   I use NM iron sights and at the level of accuracy with this grade of ammo my eyesight with iron sights is really the limiting factor.  If you really want to sort out the best ammo in your M1A a scope is handy.   But then take the scope off and hide it before anyone sees that fine battle rifle with a scope perched on top of it!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the answers guys. I usually just shoot mil.surp. but the Federal was the right price at the time. I'll post my results when I get a chance to shoot it

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a socom and shot 168 federal match.  I was only shooting with open sights but it grouped within 2-3 inches from 100 yards.  With a scope I'm sure it would be better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's see,
Fed match cases
Fed 210M primers
Sierra 168 HPBT match bullets
IMR 4064 powder (read enought to get the bullet up to 2600 per each bulk type lot used)

Considering that this is the same reloading groups choices the every top M1A Gas Guner uses to win matches (just using  Norma brass instead because the Fed brass primer pocket wears out too fast), Yea I would say that it is a good round.  A better load  would be if you taylored the amount of powder to find the barrels sweet spot (read between 42-44 grains of powder), instead of just looking for the 2600 FPS mark and calling it good.

Also, keep in mind that most Match Gas guns are chamber for match ammo and if you have a long throat in a USGI barrel, you may find that 150 Gr flat base are a better choice (not really but if your a shitty shot and can't tell the difference, then why spend the extra money on the match loads anyway)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have loaded thousands of that great load.  But as great and meters much easier is Sierra, or Nosler, or Berger 168, 43-44.5 grains of TAC, WLR primer.  This got me a clean at 200 meters.  The surprise is that the load gives me a one inch group from a sandbag from my SOCOM.  Then snap shooting the SOCOM hit the steel at 100, 150, and 200 meters virtually every time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:11:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top