User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2016 8:15:32 AM EDT
Is so which and if not, why not?

Thanks,

Paul
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#1]
nimh batteries might work but you well get less battery life and a lower starting voltage (1.2), lithium rechargeable batteries come off the charger with more than 1.5 volts.
they can also have current spikes and drops.
not to mention if you charge a lithium battery wrong, or to fast it will burst. not the friendly kind of burst either.

Always use a quality brand battery, store bought lithiums are fine to use.

I really doubt anyone is going to spend enough time out with a night vision device to justify the need for rechargeables when the battery life is 40 hours per single AA
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I use eneloops and they're fine
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This,

I've put together an external battery pack so if it leaks i haven't lost anything, Even so I wouldn't expect to have to replace more than the battery housing and on a pvs14 thats about 30 bucks worth of parts. I haven't seen any housings that  have leaked all the way through in on the circuit board. I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
At 40 hrs per battery, you're looking at about 250 batteries in total to reach the magical "10,000 hour service life" and if you were using the monocular full time, 40hrs per week,(5 nights x 8 hours) it would take just shy of 5 years to do this. A single quality lithium AA battery should cost under $2 per cell, and cheaper in bulk.

So, $2 per week for batteries, or $100ish per year is basically the worst case scenario as far as cost of usage is concerned.

The rechargeables and their charger are about $20ish for a four pack and charger. You would probably need to buy new cells annually as they wear out.

So you can save $80 per year by doing this, but you will risk your warranty, and if you corrode your battery compartment you will easily eclipse any savings, with a new battery compartment install probably running around $250-300 including the parts, diagnosis, labor, and repurge.

If you pop even one battery you are way outside of the "savings" zone, and furthermore, if you can afford to play with NVG's full time, the price of good batteries are just a drop in the bucket compared to time off from work, the NVG's themselves, the cost of weapons, the ammo expended, hunting tags... I could go on.

Just buy some good lithium duracell or energizer's in bulk from Costco and call it good. Keep em with your ammo fort.

ETA: as the frequency of use decreases, the potential savings do also,  and IMO the risk of leaving one installed and corroding the battery compartment increases.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh we have on numerous occasions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This,

I've put together an external battery pack so if it leaks i haven't lost anything, Even so I wouldn't expect to have to replace more than the battery housing and on a pvs14 thats about 30 bucks worth of parts. I haven't seen any housings that  have leaked all the way through in on the circuit board. I could be wrong though.

The rechargeable batteries ate through the plastic and the epoxy of the battery housing? Wow, I've gotta see pictures of this! I know people using rechargeable batteries in some pretty expensive camera gear, professionally, and this would be the first I heard of it. I run AA rechargeables in my 2x AA battery pack for my MOD3, and I haven't had an issue yet. I 3D printed the pack, so if it melts or dies, I'm not overly worried. That's the only device I've ran rechargeable in though, and is primarily why I made it.

Vic's comment has me wondering now... lol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Typical....

Put them them in a trunk of a car in a HOT summer day and see what happens.  I have dealt with thousands of devices and different types of batts for a number of years. How many have you dealt with??

The fact is simple...With a FORTY HOURS PLUS ON A LITH AND 36-40 HOURS CONTINUOUS USE IN A PVS-14 WHY EVER TAKE A CHANCE OF RECHARDS PERIOD ON A THREE TO FOUR THOUSAND DOLLAR (AND HIGHER) ON ANY OF THIS TYPE OF GEAR!?  It has no payoff as 95% of the users NEVER use their I^2 devices that much time during a week or in a months time. There is no reason to ever take this chance, it's foolish thinking except to make you sound important on a forum...  

Know this, we will never cover warranty on this type of action, and we here at TNVC will continue to educate on not using rechards on any PVS-14 or any other NV I^2 rifle scopes etc. Even with Lith's and Alkaline's we always tell folks to remove these types of batteries when not in use for long periods of times and always take the batts out when stored in any hot locales even for a short time where temps can climb fast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This,

The rechargeable batteries ate through the plastic and the epoxy of the battery housing? Wow, I've gotta see pictures of this! I know people using rechargeable batteries in some pretty expensive camera gear, professionally, and this would be the first I heard of it. I run AA rechargeables in my 2x AA battery pack for my MOD3, and I haven't had an issue yet. I 3D printed the pack, so if it melts or dies, I'm not overly worried. That's the only device I've ran rechargeable in though, and is primarily why I made it.

Vic's comment has me wondering now... lol.

Typical....

Put them them in a trunk of a car in a HOT summer day and see what happens.  I have dealt with thousands of devices and different types of batts for a number of years. How many have you dealt with??

The fact is simple...With a FORTY HOURS PLUS ON A LITH AND 36-40 HOURS CONTINUOUS USE IN A PVS-14 WHY EVER TAKE A CHANCE OF RECHARDS PERIOD ON A THREE TO FOUR THOUSAND DOLLAR (AND HIGHER) ON ANY OF THIS TYPE OF GEAR!?  It has no payoff as 95% of the users NEVER use their I^2 devices that much time during a week or in a months time. There is no reason to ever take this chance, it's foolish thinking except to make you sound important on a forum...  

Know this, we will never cover warranty on this type of action, and we here at TNVC will continue to educate on not using rechards on any PVS-14 or any other NV I^2 rifle scopes etc. Even with Lith's and Alkaline's we always tell folks to remove these types of batteries when not in use for long periods of times and always take the batts out when stored in any hot locales even for a short time where temps can climb fast.

I don't think chosos was saying "Vic's comment has me wondering now" in a bad way, but I may have read that wrong.  

To the OP, for low consumption devices like NV monocs, I can't see using rechargeable batteries unless there is nothing else available.  Like others have said, there is just no payoff there.  If it was a high drain device like thermal or digital then I can see using them but NOT storing them inside the device (shouldn't be storing any of this stuff w/ batteries inside anyways).  I've used quality NiMH batteries in numerous thermals over the years with no ill effects but, then again, the batteries were never inside them for more than a few hours at a time.  Mostly I use them when practicing w/ the device, the Energizer lithium batteries were always used when actually going out hunting.  Nowadays thermals have much better battery life so the point is largely moot.  Always use a quality battery, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I wasn't slamming your comment Vic.  

If you had a picture, I would legitimately be wanting to scope it out. I also deal with lots of batteries and devices in my line of work, and I've never run into what you described without some extreme abuse on the cells.  I primarily printed my battery box to run it with rechargeable AA's; not that it won't work with normal AA's or lithium.

With all this being said, I've seen some really quick and gnarly corrosion issues with the cheap yellow harbor freight and other cheap batteries so I would also advocate to run high quality batteries no matter the type.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I use lithium. More run time plus lighter weight.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I had some corrode over and ruin a pair of Tac6 electronic ear pro
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Someone explain the negative to the Eneloop to me.

I just measured some batteries and these are the readings.

Eneloop alkaline/NiMHAA. Charged less than 5 times over the course of its life and fully charged about two weeks ago. 3.8mA
Rayovac alkaline AA. 2-3 years old. Used for max 10 mintues. 4.2mA
Duracel Procell alkaline AA brand new. In package 4.2mA

If I'm concerned about the power output being too much, wouldn't I be more concerned about the other batteries?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#15]
When I see the remarks of a man like Vic of TNVC, who sees many more devices than I have ever used or wish I had used, and by more than a few orders of magnitude, AND who has heard at least as many similar stories of catastrophic damage caused by poor battery choices from trusted sources...I listen.
I do not argue.
I do not quibble.
Unless it is an unmitigated emergency, no secondary battery will ever see the inside of the battery compartment of my expensive gear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top