Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 8:37:32 AM EDT
Want to get a hipower and these seem very well made for the money. I have compared the old FEGs with what they are making now and they seem much improved. They seem to have better blueing, machining and are still less than $250. Shoot me some feedback.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont own one, but my best friend does.  When he's not carrying his Glock 27 he carries the FEG.  The local smith at WSI said that FEG were the only High Power clones he would work on, FWIW.  The only thing my friend added was an extended safety.  All in all, its a great carry piece!
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#2]
My FEG has been a bit of a mixed bag, but I'd do it again if I had the chance.  Mine took 2 trips back to KBI, and was still failing to extract one round out of 4 on a good day.  After polishing the chamber with a Dremel, the problem has all but disappeared.  The bluing on the edges of the backstrap wore off rather quickly, and the frame is just oversized enough that a set of Pachmayr's won't fit on it.  With the extracting issue worked out, it's a pretty nice pistol.

Mine is about 2 years old, so I don't know how much better the new ones are.  If you can figure out how to shove a dremel polishing bit into the chamber, go for it!  Be forewarned, though, that KBI took about 2 months for turnaround each time it went in.

Problems aside, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer Hi-Power for the money.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#3]
My FEG has been great.  Aftermarket parts (stocks, trigger, safety, magazines) fit and the pistol has been 100% reliable except when used with a ProMag magazine with a weak spring.  I replaced the spring and now it works fine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one for a couple of years but solt it a few years ago.  I never had any malfunctions or problems with it.  The only thing it needed was a little trigger work, but what gun doesn't these days.  Machine work and bluing were not what you would expect on a $500 gun, but far better than I would expect on a $200 gun.

Good value for the money.  If I were to buy another one, I would make sure that model used readily available high-cap mags.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I love the FEG Hi-Power. It's nice to have a classic Browning design for less than half of what a real Browning would cost. They seem reliable and accurate and fit in the hand very well. This design sure was developed with pointability in mind. Awesome pistols to hold and fire. One of these FEG pistols paired with the 17 round South African Hi-Power mags should be a pretty potent package.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Geez, I paid $250 for my Browning HiPower sometime around 91. Brand new through my co-work who had a FFL.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My father and I just bought ours through RSR a few months ago for $186 a piece. The externel finish on these guns is as good as Browning's if not better, and the internal finish is a little rough, but not as bad as my Colt 1991A1. They more accurate than I am, but remember the barrel is intended for 124 gr. bullets, and will not be as accurate with the more common in the US 115 gr rounds. Go through RSR rather than KBI. RSR tends to get the better guns from KBI, and if there is a problem they are much better to deal with.

If you are looking for a exact clone I would get a FM. They are around right now for about $250, but the finish on them is not very good.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had one for 9 months , finish is great , replaced grips with a set of Hogues . Sights were dead on with 115gr ammo and the first thing I did was yanked that stupid mag safety and now it has the best trigger pull of any of my handguns except my Taurus 669 .
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I got one, Hogue grips and pulled the mag safety. Works great, I really like it and would recommend it to anyone. I have had absolutely no problems. Best bang for the buck imo.

dave
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I also have one, bought it about 3 months ago.

I attempted to use a C&S wide combat trigger in it, but the gun kept misbehaving with it installed, it wouldn't engage the sear lever reliably.  Back in goes the stock trigger. I removed the mag safety, which brought the trigger pull from "horrible" to "tolerable."  Polishing the hammer and sear improved it from "tolerable" to "typical."  

The barrel had an uneven crown on it, so I re-cut a new one.  The slide rails were rough and tight, so I lapped them, which helped a fair bit; now I can rack the slide myself without requiring the assistance of my next door neighbor and his cousin the circus strongman.  It also needed a feed ramp polish and a mag well bevel, which I performed without hesitation.

The grip stocks that came with it were too chunky for me, so I replaced them with some old Browning wood grips, which makes it feel better.

All in all, it is a solid, dependable performer, if not quite as accurate as my '72 Browning.  If you can get one at or under $250, it is a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one about six months ago for $220 with two high caps, one of which is questionable.  It takes my BHP mags though and I haven't had any problems with it other than with that one mag, which also doesn't work well in my "real" HP.  Only mod was to disconnect the mag safety.  About 500 rounds through it to date.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I've owned one Hi-power clone.  It was an Israeli made clone called a "Kareen".  It was an OK gun, but I had to make several upgrades.  I finally broke down and forked out the dough for a real Hi-power, and its the best money I've spent.  Don't waist your time or money on clones, get the real thing.  I only paid $600 for a practical model, and $500 on my MK3.  Their well made, digest any 9mm ammo, ACCURATE and function flawlessly.  Fit and finish is superb as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got an FEG. It's a nice gun especially for $180. I got some nice wood Hi-Power grips for it, the fit well. The magazine (13rd) that came with it is rather tacky but Hi-Power mags work fine.

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
They're good little guns for the money.  Part for part, they're a little rougher than a Browning, but they're a much better buy.

They're GREAT first handguns.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
The FEG Hi-Power is the BEST handgun you can buy for $200 bucks! period.

The 17rd SA mags dont work that will with the FEG. I bought three Pro-mags and swapped followers-followers that dont allow the rounds to rattle around. I hate that. i should have never sold mine. Very reliable with a good mag.

Mine came with extended slide stop and safty. I had a set of Pachmayer grips on mine-they do take "Two men and a boy" to put on, but they fit.

Should you get a FEG? YES! if you dont want it anymore you can always sell it for close to what you paid for it. Hi-caps are still cheap for them too.

lib
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Geez, I paid $250 for my Browning HiPower sometime around 91. Brand new through my co-work who had a FFL.

Geez, Not everyone knows your co-worker who had a FFL

evil lib
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top