Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2013 12:46:21 PM EDT
Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge about any differences between the two bullets?

I know they are the same with the exception of the Lubalox coating and Nosler uses the same load data for both in there manual.

I didn't want to burn turn the one box that I have (and not interested in buying more) if I can just use the load data that I used for the BT in my 30/06.

Thanks for the help.

Semper Fi,

Luis R.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
They are the exact same bullets other than the coating IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, gathered as much.  What I was wondering was if I used the same data as the BT, would I get the same velocity/POI?  The coating will probably give a little more velocity (which I am not worried about).  The POI/come ups are what I'm interested in.  Hate to have to do more shooting to get new come ups and go thru most of the box.

Semper Fi,

Luis R.

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used both Nosler 200gr BT and the Combined Technology 200gr (black coated silver tip) in my .338 Win mag. I did notice a difference in felt recoil (the rifle has a BOSS break) and I'm sure the black bullets were slower than the non coated though I never proved it with the chroney.

Link Posted: 10/1/2013 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#4]
According to CT  Nosler / Winchester:  " Lubalox Exterior Coating: Reduces fouling, pressure and friction between bullet and bore, providing longer barrel life, easier cleaning and enhanced accuracy."
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used both Nosler 200gr BT and the Combined Technology 200gr (black coated silver tip) in my .338 Win mag. I did notice a difference in felt recoil (the rifle has a BOSS break) and I'm sure the black bullets were slower than the non coated though I never proved it with the chroney.

View Quote

Did you load the two different bullets using the same powder/case/primer recipe? And the most important question as far as I'm concerned:  Did the POI change?  Thanks for the info.

Semper Fi,

Luis R.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Nosler's reloading data does not differentiate between bullet types just the bullet weight, so the answer to your question is yes you can.

http://www.nosler.com/30-06-springfield
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
So, I went thru and loaded a few of the Ballistic Silvertips and ran them against the loaded BTs that I have.  I forgot that I used the last of the powder can, so I had to change lots.  

I tested them on a short range, 70yds.  The POI was the same (think it might have been 0.25" lower - for all intent the same).  The velocity was about 50fps less than the BT load.  Have a couple of BTs that didn't get loaded so will loaded them with current lot and see if the velocity difference is due to the powder or the bullets.

Semper Fi,

Luis R.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the update
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, I went thru and loaded a few of the Ballistic Silvertips and ran them against the loaded BTs that I have.  I forgot that I used the last of the powder can, so I had to change lots.  

I tested them on a short range, 70yds.  The POI was the same (think it might have been 0.25" lower - for all intent the same).  The velocity was about 50fps less than the BT load.  Have a couple of BTs that didn't get loaded so will loaded them with current lot and see if the velocity difference is due to the powder or the bullets.

Semper Fi,

Luis R.
View Quote

It's most likely the different powder lots causing the velocity difference.  Especially at 70 yds.  I don't think the coating would cause that.

You're shooting 30-06?  What grain? Do both bullets have the same B.C.?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's most likely the different powder lots causing the velocity difference.  Especially at 70 yds.  I don't think the coating would cause that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper Fi,

Luis R.

30/06 Sako L61R 24"
150gr bullets

Both bullets are the same BC - well same bullet.  the Ballistic Silvertip has the Lubalox coating on it and a gray/sliver polymer tip instead of green.

I kinda figure it may be, but it won't be till next week when I find out for sure.  I'll load up the last 2 BT bullets and a couple more of the Silvertips and see what the chrono says.

Nosler shows the same data for the two bullets and a few others.  I didn't really believe that these two would have the same velocities and POIs in real life, but I guess they may.

Semper Fi,

Luis R.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

30/06 Sako L61R 24"
150gr bullets

Both bullets are the same BC - well same bullet.  the Ballistic Silvertip has the Lubalox coating on it and a gray/sliver polymer tip instead of green.

I kinda figure it may be, but it won't be till next week when I find out for sure.  I'll load up the last 2 BT bullets and a couple more of the Silvertips and see what the chrono says.

Nosler shows the same data for the two bullets and a few others.  I didn't really believe that these two would have the same velocities and POIs in real life, but I guess they may.

Semper Fi,

Luis R.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper Fi,

Luis R.

30/06 Sako L61R 24"
150gr bullets

Semper Fi,

Luis R.

They just might if they have the same B.C. and are loaded the same way.  

Use the JBM Online Calculator  to get an idea.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Howdy,

So I forgot to update this thread for those that might find it interesting.

I loaded the last two BT bullets that I had and loaded 3 of the BSTs.  Using the same powder lot and powder charge.  I had a 60fps velocity difference between the two bullets and at 100yds the bullets were to the same POI.

The Ballistic Silvertip bullets were slower than the BTs.  I guess the Lubalox cuts the copper fouling and reduces the speed.  Anyway, with H4350, I increased the charge by 0.2 and that will make up the velocity difference.

HTH

Semper Fi,

Luis R.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top