Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2002 7:51:39 PM EDT
I was at the range this past Sunday and there was one in our group that had one, brand spanking new.  He was havining BIG problems with Failure to Feed's.  I was just wondering what kind of Buffer the stock has.  Has anyone else had any problems with theirs?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The info I saw on it says the new stock simply slips over your current buffer tube.  I don't think that would affect how the rifle feeds.

I saw the pictures, and I think they're cool.  I want one for my AK.  Maybe one for the AR later.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one ordered...well back ordered that is.  The stock uses the standard A2 buffer tube, buffer, and spring.  

The ACE stock should not contribute to a FTF.  Nothing diff. than having a regular A2 stock as far as performance goes.

I can't wait to get mine...I think they look really cool.  Should dress my post ban up some.

medcop
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Vinny, i hope you had a good time. As for Anthonys AR, i think he found out the gas tube was loose. I hope that was it. I guess we will find out on Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I was one of the first impulsive, and LUCKY souls to get one right after the national show.  

Yes I had problems.  If you put the butpad on the screw is to long and interfears with the function of the tube.  

Also the dimensions of the stock were not correct.  Without going into detail.  It would not fit propely.  The stock was to long.

A noticed the problems with my bolt as well.  

In the end I had to ship it back to the guy I bought it from and he sent me a new one.  It appears to be the right length.  I am going to have to do a little filing to get the finish I want.

It does look cool but I wish I had waited for the next batch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#5]
This doesn't sound good. I was going to get one, but functionality always wins out over looks with me. Maybe I should just stick with a A1 stock. It's time tested.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 2:44:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I have one and it works perfectly. There is nothing about the design of this stock that can affect the function of the rifle. The buffer is not changed in any way.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 3:25:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought an ACE stock a couple of weeks ago during the initial flurry of talk about it.  I'll admit the fit required a little tapping the butt on the carpet to get it in place, but I have shot the rifle since then and had no problems at all.  I like the design as it feels handier than the standard stock.  It also appears sturdy and well made.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one also and it looks great and feels very comfortable when in a shooting position. I haven't had it out to the range yet so I don't know about any issues with it effecting the rifles reliability.

As stated above it uses the original buffer tube and buffer so there shouldn't be a problem. It was a real tight fit to get it in place but I feel that it adds to the solid feel of the stock.

Could the stock effect reliability? Maybe When you look at the way the stock attaches to the buffer tube it has a front peice that slides to meet the receiver and it holds the rear takedown pin detent and spring and it has a back peice that just slips over the end of the buffer tube. Its possible having it this way could flex the buffer tube and cause the bolt carrier travel to be slowed down by contacting the inside of the tube.
I doubt this is happening though. The buffer tubes on every AR-15 I've had the stock off of were very inflexible (is that a word?). But, if you hang enough weight over the end of the buffer tube I guess anything is possible.
I could take a picture of the stock partially off to show what I mean but I'd rather not take the stock off as the foam pad is a bitch to get in place unless you use some kind of liquid such as Fantastic (which evaproates to leave the foam solidly in place).
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]
ACE just told me it has completly redesigned their AR stock and says it no longer is making the prototype it released several weeks ago.

The new one is a heavier, single tube design with about 1-1/2 inchs  worth of adjustable extension..and the butt swivels some as well.

Its priced at about $129.00 as I remember and will not be available untill April.

1 minor detail: They still have to get ATF approved!

Thier design looks very cool, and I'm already starting to save up once it gets Big Brother's Approval.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#10]
how come they'd need BATF approval if it's non-folding? is a skeletonized stock evil too?
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ACE just told me it has completly redesigned their AR stock and says it no longer is making the prototype it released several weeks ago.

The new one is a heavier, single tube design with about 1-1/2 inchs  worth of adjustable extension..and the butt swivels some as well.

Its priced at about $129.00 as I remember and will not be available untill April.

1 minor detail: They still have to get ATF approved!

Thier design looks very cool, and I'm already starting to save up once it gets Big Brother's Approval.

So are you saying I won't get my skeletonized stock?

What is the web site for them...I can't find it in my favorites file

medcop
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]

What is the web site for them...I can't find it in my favorites file

www.riflestocks.com/index.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Vinny, i hope you had a good time. As for Anthonys AR, i think he found out the gas tube was loose. I hope that was it. I guess we will find out on Sunday.

John, I had a great time, and the good news is I think I'm going to be a "go" for Blackwater.

Thanks for the info gang, I was just wondering what type of buffer the stock used.  I hope it was his gas tube, like John said.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone else like the looks of the ACE AR15 Boom Tube stock?  Here's a diagram from their web site.  Is this a different stock or the final version of the one you've all been talking about?

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#16]
The Skeletonized stock was post ban legal.  I would place big bucks that the new one pictured above is Pre ban only.  It has adjustment...I bet the ATF will consider it a collap. stock.

medcop
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I had the a similar idea to this when I first started thinking about my first AR build.  Of course this implementation looks much nicer that anything I would have come up with.

So I just ordered one...

For the lightweight rifle I have in mind, it will be sweet, and very unique looking.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#18]
medcop, I agree with you that the new "adjustable" stock will most likely be considered pre-ban only. If that should be so, does that mean that the so-called prototype will be discontinued? That would be a shame as it is a nice stock as it is. Frankly, I wouldn't have any need for the adjustability feature as my stock fits me perfectly. On the other hand, it would be nice to have a stock that is only owned by a few and considered unique.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't care for that "Boom Tube" stock at all. I thought the skeleton stock was appealing because it was simple and functional and the length of a fixed A1 stock.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Here’s a couple of pictures of the rifle I put my Ace stock on:

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I am having one installed on my new M4 project.  I should have pics in several weeks.   I can not see how this stock would affect failure to feeds?  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I am having one installed on my new M4 project.  I should have pics in several weeks.   I can not see how this stock would affect failure to feeds?  

Regards,
Gary

Gary,  I was wondering whether it used an A2 buffer or a Carbine buffer.  Turns out it's supposedly a gas tube problem, but we'll see tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, well the gun still FTFed, no explanation of why, no tell tale sign, it happened whenever it felt like it.  He could unload 3 mags at one moment, then when it came to putting a double tap into the target, malfunction.  Kinda like a Murphy's Law rifle.  I think he's going to change out the stock and see if it functions correctly.  We're bringing a spare carbine to Blackwater with us just in case.  (maybe 2)
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd like one for an AK but won't put a metal stock on it. Too frickin cold up here. If they make a polymer one I'll be buying.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#26]
They sell a cover that looks like what they used to put on a bicycle handle. (The big spongy handle covers)
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, Vinnie, I've seen 'em. I think they look awesome on an AK but I'm really holding out for polymer, though. Thanks for replying, bud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top