Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2019 11:31:02 AM EDT
Anyone have a Ruger PC Carbine in .40 yet?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Are they in stores? I want to hear from an owner or two before I pick one up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't seen one in the wild yet.  Have and love the 9mm.  Holding out for a 45 acp.........
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't seen one in the wild yet.  Have and love the 9mm.  Holding out for a 45 acp.........
View Quote
Same, but I have 2.  Looking forward to 45 or 10mm.  Really curious what the differences are between the 9mm and the .40.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Not yet. I’ve got the mags, ammo, optic, and cash for one. Waiting.......
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
WHAT THE HELL!!!  It’s been a month and a half since the press release. I’m guessing there’s problems with it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
WHAT THE HELL!!!  It's been a month and a half since the press release. I'm guessing there's problems with it.
View Quote
Pretty normal for Ruger, they tend to announce well before they actually ship. It's usually a few months before it reaches consumers.

There are a few products from big companies that I'm still waiting to see years after they were announced. At least Ruger has yet to pull that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen the railed 9mm one in stores a couple weeks ago but I haven't seen the 40 yet. They were announced the same time.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I checked Gunbroker today and found two listings for the new PC40. Still none in stock at my LGS or the three listed Buy it Now sites on Ruger.com.

Bought a couple of 30 round ETS .40 mags in anticipation.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Neither one of the distributors I use have any of the .40 available yet. Shows they are allowed, but not able to ship yet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
ME TOO!
Maybe some day a.38/.357
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
My LGS told me mine will be here sometime next week. ????
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Got mine today.
Attachment Attached File

Changed the mag block out already. Going to gather my mags and ammo tonight and go the range in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 4:26:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Got mine yesterday as well, ordered online from riflegear.com. It was actually delivered Friday but wasn't able to do the transfer until today. I did take it to the local indoor range and put a few magazines through it. It did have the recoil others have mentioned, but nothing prohibitive. I have not shot the 9mm vesion, so I cannot compare the recoil between the two.

I was able to keep all the shots in the black of a 10" slow-fire target off hand from about 30 yards. It was hard to see the black front post on the black bullseye, but not impossible.

I was using Winchester 180gr. flat point fmj's, I had a few malf's from the 22-rd Glock stick mags, the round would be jammed with the nose of the bullet pushed up into the area above the chamber, wedged between the mag and the bolt. I'd have to dump the mag, pull the bolt back and let it drop out. It seemed to happen only once from between the 4th through 11th shot from each stick mag. No problems with the couple of 13-rd G23 mags I used.

The heft of this carbine belies it's dimensions, looking at it one would not think it would weigh as much as it does, but it actually helps keep it relatively steady. I haven't shot the Kel-Tec Sub-2000's but I imagine as light as they are the recoil might be "sharper"(?)

Overall I like it and will keep it, it should be a great range toy/truck gun and/or HD carbine after I get this random malfunction thing figured out. I have since ordered a PA Advanced Micro dot for it, since not being able to see the black front sight post on a black target, I think it'd make it more versatile.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Had the same random malfunctions as above with Glock 22rd and ETS 30rnd mags. Didn’t bring any of my Glock 15rnd mags.
Attachment Attached File

Pretty quiet with the Osprey.
Attachment Attached File

Ultra max 180 FMJ. Average-1066 ES-52 SD-20
Speer 180 GoldDot. Average-992 ES-30 SD-11
Federal 155 HST. Average-1343 ES-32 SD-12
I like it. I thought it shot well. Prob tear it down and put some Cherrybalmz on it and try it again this week with an AimpointPRO and 15 rnd mags.
Might be cool to SBR it someday
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#17]
May I please get a pic of the tungsten bolt weight of the .40.

I want to see the difference on how they made it heavier compared to the 9mm weight.

Thanks.

The information will determine the concept of a 10mm conversion.

Ream chamber to 10mm.
Fill in any available holes left in the weight with tungsten pins.
File the mag adapter to fit Grease gun mags.
Tune spring for 10mm use.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#18]
@BRN-180
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks.

WTF?  The .40 and 9mm are the same???

I would think the .40 would have less holes to add more weight???

Without seeing them side by side, are they using the same weight in both models?
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks.

WTF?  The .40 and 9mm are the same???

I would think the .40 would have less holes to add more weight???

Without seeing them side by side, are they using the same weight in both models?
View Quote
I don’t have a nine to compare but the spring may be stronger on the .40.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Orangehat,

I have used a .40 Osprey on a 40 s&w Sub2K with good success. Try using the Winchester train and defend 180 gr ammo, listed at 925 fps it suppresses very well. Recoil is fine, my 120 lb daughter lovers her .40
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don’t have a nine to compare but the spring may be stronger on the .40.
View Quote
I do not have actual figures yet, but the Ruger PC40 has a much heavier barrel than the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 .40 Gen 2.   Overall the Ruger PC40 my opinion after holding one, is that this gun is front heavy and definitely not as easy to carry on a sling from your neck in the woods as the Kel-Tec Sub 2000.

I am very interested in comparing the MOA @ 50 yards on both guns.

QUESTION:
My woods / hog patrol setup is a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 & S&W M&P Shield all on .40.  While hog hunting, I have run across occasions where switching empty mags rapidly was necessary.  What could be done to make the Ruger PC40 accept S&W 15 round .40 Mags?
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I should do a separate review of this .40 cal PC Carbine, but I don’t think there would be much difference between the two other than caliber. But I will submit the following pics to give everyone some idea of it’s accuracy potential.

Here it is with the PA Advanced Micro Dot:
Attachment Attached File

And here are a couple of targets from 50 yards using the red dot:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The hits in the bullseye are after I got it dialed in. This thing is a real pussy cat to shoot and the wife, who was apprehensive about it, actually enjoyed it. The hits on the upper left and right diamonds was her trying to get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Very cool ????

Going to the range in the am to try the 30, 22, and 15 rnd mags for reliability and the PRO for 50 yard groups. Supposed to be 58 degrees.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got mine yesterday as well, ordered online from riflegear.com. It was actually delivered Friday but wasn't able to do the transfer until today. I did take it to the local indoor range and put a few magazines through it. It did have the recoil others have mentioned, but nothing prohibitive. I have not shot the 9mm vesion, so I cannot compare the recoil between the two.

I was able to keep all the shots in the black of a 10" slow-fire target off hand from about 30 yards. It was hard to see the black front post on the black bullseye, but not impossible.

I was using Winchester 180gr. flat point fmj's, I had a few malf's from the 22-rd Glock stick mags, the round would be jammed with the nose of the bullet pushed up into the area above the chamber, wedged between the mag and the bolt. I'd have to dump the mag, pull the bolt back and let it drop out. It seemed to happen only once from between the 4th through 11th shot from each stick mag. No problems with the couple of 13-rd G23 mags I used.

The heft of this carbine belies it's dimensions, looking at it one would not think it would weigh as much as it does, but it actually helps keep it relatively steady. I haven't shot the Kel-Tec Sub-2000's but I imagine as light as they are the recoil might be "sharper"(?)

Overall I like it and will keep it, it should be a great range toy/truck gun and/or HD carbine after I get this random malfunction thing figured out. I have since ordered a PA Advanced Micro dot for it, since not being able to see the black front sight post on a black target, I think it'd make it more versatile.
View Quote
I want a PC40 badly but with a kid on the way. I'll be rubbing my pennies together for a bit. I have a SUB2000 in .40 and the recoil is "harsh" for a PCC.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I have heard pistol rounds are for pistols forever, but if you want to get the accuracy and extra oomph the carbine is the way to go, it’s a way to get more out of the pistol rounds.

I can better understand the mentality of the Old West where the rifle and pistol shared ammo. You get more power, range and accuracy from the rifle and the up close and always there value in a handgun.

I can’t say this thing is necessary, but if nothing else it is fun and cheaper to shoot than rifle caliber rifles. I wouldn’t hesitate to use for HD.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I’m mildly interested in this gun in .40. I have a G23 that can share mags with it but I already have Hi-Point and Kel-Tec carbines in .40 and I don’t actually need one. The .40 is my least favorite of the “Big 3” automatic pistol cartridges. Neither of those are Glock magazine compatible though, so any excuse to buy a new gun I suppose.

I’m really interested in this gun in .45 ACP if that ever appears. I really like the cartridge, it suppresses well, and it could (hopefully) share mags with my G21.

Come on Ruger, let’s see a .45!
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#29]
@Landric, what mags do the .40 Kel Tec run off?
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@Landric, what mags do the .40 Kel Tec run off?
View Quote
The one I have has the “multi” grip so depending on the magazine catch it can use a number of different magazines (but not Glock). Mine has the M&P mag catch, primarily because my duty gun is a M&P40 so I have a bunch of magazines.

Rumor has it we might be switching to some kind of 9mm, perhaps a Glock. If that happens I will probably swap it to the CZ mag catch so I can use my Jericho .40 mags with it as I like the 40 caliber Jericho better than the M&P.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Ruger PC Carbine ringing steel

I had it sighted in dead on in the center. I shot some steel then shot this group. I noticed on the first time I took it out that the POI changed to the left as the barrel got warm. This seems to confirm but I still want to do some more testing. I’m going to mount my 1-4 Leupold Hog Scope on it to try.

Attachment Attached File

5 shots bench rest with Aimpoint PRO @ 50yrds

Still plagued with random bolt over malfunctions. That suggests to me that it has to much bolt speed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#32]
What bullet weight are you using?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What bullet weight are you using?
View Quote
180 grn GoldDot
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok, I've been using Win 180gr. flat point fmj's and the only problem I've been having is when using the 22-round Glock stick mags at about the 4th or 5th shot the next round gets jammed in the chamber in a near vertical manner. The rest of the mag runs fine and no problems from the G23 12-round mags.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

I took it out last night and was hitting steel at 200y. What fun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Jammed my third round this weekend on new Ruger PC40.  Using 180 grain FMJ federal brass, trapezoid cone on bullet not a rounded bullet.  Cleaned the thick oil out of the gun beforehand.

Abandoning the quest for a .40 carbine and looking to build a light weight, iron sight, 300 AAC with a 10"
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Jammed my third round this weekend on new Ruger PC40.  Using 180 grain FMJ federal brass, trapezoid cone on bullet not a rounded bullet.  Cleaned the thick oil out of the gun beforehand.

Abandoning the quest for a .40 carbine and looking to build a light weight, iron sight, 300 AAC with a 10"
View Quote
You might consider sending it in to Ruger. My 9mm continually jammed, but has had zero malfunctions since coming back from Ruger. The QC on the extractor can be hit or miss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top