Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2007 2:09:27 PM EDT
The Colt M16A2 model 715 was Colts version/copy of the Canadian Diemaco C7 Battle Rifle. It's marked M16A2 and has all of the A2 features with the exception of 1. It retains the A1 rear sight and 2. The lower receiver is marked AUTO vice BURST.

From what I gather Colt manufactured this particular model for export sales and of course some were sold here in the states. I'm curious if anyone here owns one or has seen one and can shed some extra light on this particular model. I've seen many M16's over the years, but I've yet to run into this particular model in my travels.

Thanks...O3 out!!  

Link Posted: 12/9/2007 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Mine says "AUTO", but has an A2 rear sight. No clue what specific model mine is.

I believe that is a model 701...M16A2 Rifle w/ AUTO vice BURST...again for export.

Nice looking Rifle.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got one sitting here.  20" A1 upper, full stock, auto marked, auto fire control.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey,

Yeah, I have seen that one here in Switzerland. Was asking myself what an A1 upper is doing on the A2 lower. But now, it seems clear. I wanted to buy it, but some asshat was first. So I am still sitting on my A1.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking at the picture on the Colt brochure Joe posted it seems that Colt built these Rifles during the A1/A2 transition period.

The Model 711 that is pictured has the A1 upper w/ no brass deflector and pencil barrel like the older A1 assemblies but has the newer A2 era 1/7 twist rate, A2 Delta Ring, Hand Guards and Compensator.

The Model 715 has the full transitional A1/A2 upper which has the A1 rear field sight, but everything else is A2..i.e. It  has the A2 round forward assist, A2 brass deflector, A2 Delta Ring, A2 Gov't Profile Barrel with 1/7 twist rate and A2 compensator.

I've seen both 711/715 type uppers on Colt R6500 Sporter II Rifles from the same time period.

Tiger/Duke...what do you have or seen...the 711 or 715?

Link Posted: 12/11/2007 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The M16 I have here looks just like the 711 pictured.  It has the pencil barrel, A2 delta ring, A2 handguards, no brass deflector, with the A1 sight.  It is marked AUTO.

Looking at the SAR Identification Guide, it says the 711 has an A1 upper with later ones having a shell deflector, A1 contour barrel and an A2 buttstock.  While the 715 has an A1 upper with shell deflector, an A2 barrel, and A2 buttstock.
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The M16 I have here looks just like the 711 pictured.  It has the pencil barrel, A2 delta ring, A2 handguards, no brass deflector, with the A1 sight.  It is marked AUTO.

Looking at the SAR Identification Guide, it says the 711 has an A1 upper with later ones having a shell deflector, A1 contour barrel and an A2 buttstock.  While the 715 has an A1 upper with shell deflector, an A2 barrel, and A2 buttstock.

Awesome, thanks for confirming that.

It sounds like I really need to get the Black Rifle Volume's I and II. I had no idea just how much info and detail were in those books. Is the SAR something different?

Now, judging from what I've seen for sale over the past few years as well as the response to this post; it seems that the 711/715 don't pop up on the radar much. As far as A2 models, I've seen plenty of 701's, 705's and even Commandos for sale etc. Up until recently, I've yet to see a 711/715 up on the boards or anywhere else for sale. So are they rare or is it just that those who do own them are hanging on to them?

Sidenote: If you watch Predator with Arnie, he and Billy carry the 711 as described above. I recall watching it in the past and wondering what the hell model M16 that was with a thin barrel, A1 upper and A2 handguards, gip and buttstock. Now I know...hehe.

GET TO DA CHOPPAAAAA!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/12/2007 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
Looking at the picture on the Colt brochure Joe posted it seems that Colt built these Rifles during the A1/A2 transition period.

The Model 711 that is pictured has the A1 upper w/ no brass deflector and pencil barrel like the older A1 assemblies but has the newer A2 era 1/7 twist rate, A2 Delta Ring, Hand Guards and Compensator.

The Model 715 has the full transitional A1/A2 upper which has the A1 rear field sight, but everything else is A2..i.e. It  has the A2 round forward assist, A2 brass deflector, A2 Delta Ring, A2 Gov't Profile Barrel with 1/7 twist rate and A2 compensator.

I've seen both 711/715 type uppers on Colt R6500 Sporter II Rifles from the same time period.

Tiger/Duke...what do you have or seen...the 711 or 715?

The one I have seen was not the Pencil Barrel one. I had it in my hands, the only A1 about it was the upper, everything else was A2. The lower was the common Overseas A2 style.
It was in original package, never been used and totally new, I think it came from Africa or so. The dealer who had it is famous for buying old gathered arsenal arms which were just bunkered...
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The one I have seen was not the Pencil Barrel one. I had it in my hands, the only A1 about it was the upper, everything else was A2. The lower was the common Overseas A2 style.

It was in original package, never been used and totally new, I think it came from Africa or so. The dealer who had it is famous for buying old gathered arsenal arms which were just bunkered...

I'm curious, how much was the Dealer asking for it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
03SKILL, if the dealer was in Switzerland, you're prolly gonna cry about how little it went for. Most MGs are cheap as dirt outside the U.S., comparatively speaking. Of course, none are importable to the U.S. for civilian ownership.

Tony,

I figured as much. After all, doesn't the Gov't hand out SIG 550 series Rifles to everybody on their 18th birthday over there?

That's why I was curious what an Arms dealer in Switzerland might ask for a NIB Colt M16A2.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a friend who is licensed to legally buy in Europe and he turns down minty original Colt Thompsons at $450 ... so an ex-Africa NIB Colt M16A2 over there is just another used gun, and would sell for less than retail on a brand-new-from-Colt current production A2.

Makes sense, just like post samples and $10.00 AK's at the market in Mogadishu. If nobody can legally own them here in the states, then they aren't worth a damn to a Dealer or anyone else here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#16]
To the claim that the Govt. hands out SIG550 Selectfire: NO, and NO NO NO! Every male after his 18th birthday has to do military service and of course there, he also gets his selectfire rifle. (I mean we dont shoot semi in the military) Out of logistic (look how much money it costs your military to transport just fire weapons) and defend strategic reasons, every Swiss military has the right to take his weapon home. (in the train, he can even have it visible for everybody else, but it has to be unloaded) After the military duty has finished, the soldier can buy the weapon from the military for 100SFR.- (about 75 USD) and they make it with a custom pin semi auto. So no, we dont hand out just weapons to anybody like other nations when they leave a warzone...

About the Price of the M16A2 with the A1 Upper, it was out for 2200SFR.- (about 1650 USD) and it was TOTALLY NEW.
Mine, a used M16A1, was up for 1400SFR.- (about 1050 USD), which was pretty cheap for a Fullauto. In comparison, my SG552 was 3200SFR.- (about 2400 USD) which is really expensive in my view.

To say is that rarely any other country has such a liberal arms law as we do. In Europe, we are the only country that hands out fully automatic guns to Citizens and there has never been an accident with somebody shooting automatic. As said, yes you may buy in Venezuela easily a Fullauto M16, but by LAW you are actually not allowed to have it. In Switzerland, if you are Swiss Citizen and have the right permission, you can have whatever you like... even a Tank. ;)
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top